Build without Iron Reflexes - possible?

It seems that every Marauder build on the forum that uses Blood Magic seems to go for Iron Reflexes as it is semi-close.

But dexterity seem so useless with Resolute Technique; I really do not want to take 7 dexterity nodes to get there. Even after you get IR it is only a 14% bonus armor from those nodes.

With the grace aura giving 3000-4000k armor after bonuses, this seems nice but then again having a few granite flasks and good gear seems like a viable alternative to me.

As my highest character is level 58 I am not sure however.

Is anyone NOT using Iron Reflexes with a semi-melee (Ground Slam/Lightning Strike) build and doing it succesfully at higher levels/maps or is it really the only viable option?

I'm not using IR. I can tank up to +5 above my level with mob 20-40 in numbers and kill them. I got a video where my character is 45 and the mob is 50. Now I have to figure out how to upload it to youtube.
"
deadlylag wrote:
I'm not using IR. I can tank up to +5 above my level with mob 20-40 in numbers and kill them. I got a video where my character is 45 and the mob is 50. Now I have to figure out how to upload it to youtube.

Sorry dude, but "tanking" in Cruel is not the same as tanking in Merciless. Cruel is not end game, wait till Merciless A3 and maps.

To OP: The dex nodes you take along the way aren't wasted since they let you wear other, potentially better gear and weapons. I am biased because I prefer to use axes, and axes need dexterity. You will also need dex to use some of the Armor/Evasion gear you will find. When you have Iron Reflexes, the pool of gear you can wear and get benefit from about doubles. The only trouble with pure Evasion gear is that it is hard to get a lot of red sockets on it.

You don't "need" Iron Reflexes, but it is a good choice for a lot of builds. There are also 2x great nodes (Berserk, Diamond Skin) on the way, and the extra dex from travel nodes allows you to wear more gear and level up green gems. I didn't even take Blood Magic, and I still found my way down to Iron Reflexes, taking a route that allows me to pick up other skills I want. Check this out:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwCcQSzBS0LYQx9Dq0QfxRNGNsZLho4HRQhYCftKaUyCTJ-Mok26TwtQKBDnFBQVElVxlfiWGNZ818_YEthIWaeZ71uqnKpdO108XfleA16uHrvfNmE74zPj0aQVZuhnrmiAKcIp4SpbqyqrpO18rc-uJO53b6KwBrE9saexq7G2M9l0NDUj-Lq42rnUuw47m_vDu9O8B_yL_ZI-tI=

Last edited by Halezor on May 13, 2013, 9:20:28 AM
"
Halezor wrote:
"
deadlylag wrote:

Sorry dude, but "tanking" in Cruel is not the same as tanking in Merciless. Cruel is not end game, wait till Merciless A3 and maps.

To OP: The dex nodes you take along the way aren't wasted since they let you wear other, potentially better gear and weapons. I am biased because I prefer to use axes, and axes need dexterity. You will also need dex to use some of the Armor/Evasion gear you will find. When you have Iron Reflexes, the pool of gear you can wear and get benefit from about doubles. The only trouble with pure Evasion gear is that it is hard to get a lot of red sockets on it.

You don't "need" Iron Reflexes, but it is a good choice for a lot of builds. There are also 2x great nodes (Berserk, Diamond Skin) on the way, and the extra dex from travel nodes allows you to wear more gear and level up green gems. I didn't even take Blood Magic, and I still found my way down to Iron Reflexes, taking a route that allows me to pick up other skills I want. Check this out:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwCcQSzBS0LYQx9Dq0QfxRNGNsZLho4HRQhYCftKaUyCTJ-Mok26TwtQKBDnFBQVElVxlfiWGNZ818_YEthIWaeZ71uqnKpdO108XfleA16uHrvfNmE74zPj0aQVZuhnrmiAKcIp4SpbqyqrpO18rc-uJO53b6KwBrE9saexq7G2M9l0NDUj-Lq42rnUuw47m_vDu9O8B_yL_ZI-tI=

It make no difference because I will either be immune to physical damage or have 75% physical max resist. I will have 90% max (92% if I'm running purity) on all elemental damage. The build scale well at all level. It will migrate 90-99% of all physical and elemental damage.

I will make another video of me herding on merciless to prove it to you.
Last edited by deadlylag on May 13, 2013, 1:19:53 PM
Are you planing to use Bear Traps, Fire Traps, Haste, Hatred, Temporal Chains, Culling Strike, Faster Attacks, Lesser Multiple Projectiles, or Mana Leach?

You'll need the Dex anyway.

Also, the Dex itself will increases the armor you gain from Evasion. 10 Dex = 2% Evasion.
Last edited by xhunt3r on May 13, 2013, 2:05:51 PM
Yeah I know, still only 14%, meh.
Last edited by Evil_Dutch_Man on May 13, 2013, 5:45:19 PM
Yes, very possible to play without IR and without armor. I played through hardcore merciless and 66-69 maps as a 2h cyclone melee with only 1600 total armor and 500 evasion. Of course I used endurance charges to do it.
Immortal King WW Marauder build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/348782/page/1
ign: Peresvet
Wow really 0.O?

I did just find an enduring cry with 14% quality and I've been using warlord's mark anyway, but have not yet really been managing charges. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip.

"

Thanks for the advice. I see the benefit regarding gear but my marauder does not need the dex/green gems I think, and I have enough resistances to max out already. Berserking I'll probably pick up at some point.
Last edited by Evil_Dutch_Man on May 13, 2013, 5:58:30 PM
"
Wow really 0.O?

I did just find an enduring cry with 14% quality and I've been using warlord's mark anyway, but have not yet really been managing charges. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip.

I run 6 endurance charge (lvl 45) and when my build is finish I will have 9 total. At 6 charge I get 30% physical and elemental resistant with the option of going immune against physical damage. At 9 charge you get 45%. I can be immune to physical damage and with elemental resistant at 92%.

The only thing I have to worry about is chaos damage.
Last edited by deadlylag on May 13, 2013, 6:13:36 PM
"
deadlylag wrote:

So you kill lvl 50's at 45.
Cool, now go level up, and talk trash in lunaris temple or maps.
"
Deen1983 wrote:
Yes, very possible to play without IR and without armor. I played through hardcore merciless and 66-69 maps as a 2h cyclone melee with only 1600 total armor and 500 evasion. Of course I used endurance charges to do it.

Now there's relevant end game facts to go by. And I agree. I've done the same. Though ultimately IMO IR is not only useful, it's ideal.
Grace and determination+ IR nets you good armor value, and its better than wasting passives on armor nodes that's for sure.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on May 14, 2013, 2:03:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info