Hackers/Botters

How will hackers/botters or other violators of the ToS be handled in a game that is completely free to play? What will dissuade people from cheating when even if banned, they can redownload the game content and change their IP?
Being totally honest at the end of the day there is really no way to stop hackers/botters that being said I do believe GGG will do their best to discourage such things with regular updates to fix exploits and a strong anti cheat system (What that will be I don't know) to close accounts

IP banning isn't a good idea because IPs can be changed and IP addresses are reused (as well as places like colleges that offer internet have the same IP)
Maybe they should just implement the key system in this game , like you get 1 key when you sign up for example + limited friend ref options .

Online GMs will be really usefull too so let's hope for the best ( haven't got a beta key yet but from what i've seen on the live streams and podcasts shows - this game has unlimited options for growth ) .
"
skaterboy80 wrote:
Maybe they should just implement the key system in this game , like you get 1 key when you sign up for example + limited friend ref options .

Online GMs will be really useful too so let's hope for the best ( haven't got a beta key yet but from what I've seen on the live streams and pod casts shows - this game has unlimited options for growth ) .

How does a key system help once the game goes public? you know when you can sign up as many accounts as you want for free

Not trying to turn this into a discussion but being realistic there's really nothing a free to play game can do to completely stop hackers (the only reason games you buy in store is more successful at stopping hackers is there's money tied to it)
There already is a post about this in the General forum.

"What actions will GGG take to prevent hackers?"
http://pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3574
"
Runeclaw wrote:

This is an FAQ place (Frequently asked questions) the only thing you really did was prove that this thread is in the correct place
"
BurnThrew wrote:

Not trying to turn this into a discussion but being realistic there's really nothing a free to play game can do to completely stop hackers (the only reason games you buy in store is more successful at stopping hackers is there's money tied to it)

I agree with you, I am worried about the problem being much more widespread in this game than in a game such as Diablo, because you have to buy a retail copy of Diablo. If I was to bot to get a bunch of items in Diablo, or use a maphack which was against the ToS, I would be risking my account to do so and would have to make another $40 purchase to get another copy. As a general playing member of PoE, there is no such deterrent for the general population (not including third party websites etc). They can just create a seperate account to run the bot and feed all the items to their "main account" without any repurcussions. I know that third party websites will still be a problem, but I'm more worried about corruption of the general playerbase where "only suckers actually farm their own items".
meh it will be a while before anyone makes a bot or hack program, its about 1 year into the game when you really need to worry about this being a common problem
Its going to be less than that. JSP guys took 11/12/13 in the ladder race. Those guys don't mess around, there's no RMAH in this game. see how fast people are gonna start using FG as the currency. within a week of the open beta.
The purpose of argument should not be victory, but progress.
"
BurnThrew wrote:
"
Runeclaw wrote:

This is an FAQ place (Frequently asked questions) the only thing you really did was prove that this thread is in the correct place

If my post was rude, then I apologize. My goal was just to provide you guys with a link where you could see what others had already said about all this.

As I just provided a link and no real text, I do see that it could be seen as me trying to stop the conversation here. So again, I apologize for that and will try to be more clear next time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info