Account_Protection / Phishing Attempt via PM 'Account report has been filed'

"
bonga_bonga wrote:
nah tried again 1 hour later and turns out it works, by works i mean that it successfully sent an email to my hotmail account. However whenever i click on the website shown in the email it redirects me to path of exile(legit) and the following message appears:

Failed to update email address

Please ensure that you visited the correct link that was emailed to you. If you are sure that the link is correct you can try clicking here to get a new link sent to you.

I don't know if the reason behind it is that poe is just having some technical problems? Could be.

Edit: i've tried this several times with the same results!

The "Rate limiting active. You must wait 120 seconds" is someone trying to access you account multiple times(over 30 before something like this kicks in i believe they said)

you should contact support if you can't change the email from the link you received the hour later...one reason it may not work is that they have managed to change your email address but that would require access to your email account as well.

In any case contact support support@grindinggear.com
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
bonga_bonga wrote:
nah tried again 1 hour later and turns out it works, by works i mean that it successfully sent an email to my hotmail account. However whenever i click on the website shown in the email it redirects me to path of exile(legit) and the following message appears:

Failed to update email address

Please ensure that you visited the correct link that was emailed to you. If you are sure that the link is correct you can try clicking here to get a new link sent to you.

I don't know if the reason behind it is that poe is just having some technical problems? Could be.

Edit: i've tried this several times with the same results!

The "Rate limiting active. You must wait 120 seconds" is someone trying to access you account multiple times(over 30 before something like this kicks in i believe they said)

you should contact support if you can't change the email from the link you received the hour later...one reason it may not work is that they have managed to change your email address but that would require access to your email account as well.

In any case contact support support@grindinggear.com

You sure about that ? Cause i didnt click on the faulse link, they said, just click on his poe profile(in this site) to see who is it, but for more safety decide to change email. But the problem is first time i write wrong emai :D. After that i try and its writing Rate limiting active, you must wait 120 sec, bla, bla ...
And after 30 min i change my email without a problem ....

Also can they steal my acc, if i only click on his poe profile(again will say, his profile here, to see who send me the msg) ?
Last edited by Brakeit on May 11, 2013, 6:07:27 AM
"
Brakeit wrote:
You sure about that ?

Well not 100% sure as i've not experienced it myself but there was a post shortly after open beta started saying that for at least game logins would require 30 attempts before it slows access attempts down...would have thought they used the same method for the forums.
Could just be that the forums were overloaded with requests to change passwords and emails at around the time the phishing PM were going about

Sent: 12. Mai 2013 11:19
To:

Hello,

Your account has been reported and in queue for perminant ban due to suspicious activity regarding : real money trading
Please note that real money trading using currency items found in game will result your account to be perminantly banned.

If you have any comments or wish to clarify that you have not done so, please log in below.

Failure to act will cause your account to be locked or closed within 24 hours.

Regards, Helpdesk_GGG
Last edited by Henry_GGG on May 12, 2013, 6:56:50 AM
"
Fabius_Gallus wrote:

Cheers, that account has been shut down.
I'm shocked at how many people have apparently clicked this phishing link.
OK it's not quite as obvious as some i've seen but it is still clearly a scam attempt.

Some common sense is all that is needed to avoid stuff like this.

1. If something seems to good to be true it's probably a scam.

There was a while back some PMs or emails claiming that PoE were doing some sort of promotion and you could get some free stuff if you followed a link and "logged in" and entered a code

IF GGG were doing any such promo it would be plastered on the front page of their site.

Always check the site manually if you get a message like this NEVER follow the links given.

2. You have been flagged/muted/banned for spam/rmt or other such nonsense.

Theses ones are the type that can catch most people out but can easily be spotted because they ask you to enter details on the linked site.

GGG will never ask you to divulge your details particularly passwords(the may ask for a confirmation of an email address depending on the situation but that would be through support)

If you feel that you may have been banned/muted never follow the link given in a message like this.
Contact support directly through this email: support@grindinggear.com

From poor wording and grammar to incorrect links and the messages not originating from the correct source.
I.E emails would be dealt with through support not from some other random address...hover your cursor above the "from/sender" to be sure.
PM's on site would be from someone that would have a gold name.
If you want to check...click the senders name and you'll see that the account is normal and probably a day old.

Last edited by lagwin1980 on May 12, 2013, 7:28:55 AM
Eh, this one isn't as nice as the other Chinese massages I've had.
Light as a neutral force.

The new flesh emerges.
COPY PASTE REPLY FROM OTHER THREAD

Yeah some names and accounts should not be possible. I made account_services a while ago, doing some trolling on stream and among buddies. The obvious fake, but I felt I better keep my hands on the account name as I figured it would be easy to miss use for scamms. I actually did get an offer from someone that wanted to buy the account name and characters named like that.

(stuff like: This map contains the following mods: name all mods, thanks for using account services. If you like to turn off this feature go into your options menu.)

Logging on with the status message saying: You received a PM and having buddies check out the forums -> :)

Even though we were doing the obvious fake messages, some people even bought into the silly messages. Enough people going into the options menu to try out non existing features (big audience through streams). Seeing that some can be tricked so easily is quite concerning. Post about possible miss use of these names was made about a month to 2 months back or so. I am not surprised some real sleezy people are going into this.

Account_service (character name me, account not)
Account_services (character and account name by me)
Account_security
Security
Spoiler
Customer_service
Anything with GGG, customer, security, service, account, user, support, report and perhaps a few more. Most of these are unclaimed an I am actually surprised at the poor quality combos claimed so far by these people Customer_Support <-HELLO!?!?.

Etc. etc. they shouldn't be allowed, obviously there are too many to grab and to claim and a bit surprised nothing was done. So I never took the trouble to claim them all myself and be the good Samaritan as the options and great options are to numerous. That said I think account services for its honorable job of providing humor to streams and being the first "in this naming style" should be an exempt.

There might be real accounts however that now use these keywords (in spoiler tags), so it might be a bit too late, but at least prevent new accounts or perform control on accounts with the keywords I mentioned.
Last edited by Ozgwald on May 12, 2013, 7:36:02 PM
"
Ozgwald wrote:
COPY PASTE REPLY FROM OTHER THREAD

Yeah some names and accounts should not be possible. I made account_services a while ago, doing some trolling on stream and among buddies. The obvious fake, but I felt I better keep my hands on the account name as I figured it would be easy to miss use for scamms. I actually did get an offer from someone that wanted to buy the account name and characters named like that.

(stuff like: This map contains the following mods: name all mods, thanks for using account services. If you like to turn off this feature go into your options menu.)

Logging on with the status message saying: You received a PM and having buddies check out the forums -> :)

Even though we were doing the obvious fake messages, some people even bought into the silly messages. Enough people going into the options menu to try out non existing features (big audience through streams). Seeing that some can be tricked so easily is quite concerning. Post about possible miss use of these names was made about a month to 2 months back or so. I am not surprised some real sleezy people are going into this.

Account_service (character name me, account not)
Account_services (character and account name by me)
Account_security
Security
Spoiler
Customer_service
Anything with GGG, customer, security, service, account, user, support, report and perhaps a few more. Most of these are unclaimed an I am actually surprised at the poor quality combos claimed so far by these people Customer_Support <-HELLO!?!?.

Etc. etc. they shouldn't be allowed, obviously there are too many to grab and to claim and a bit surprised nothing was done. So I never took the trouble to claim them all myself and be the good Samaritan as the options and great options are to numerous. That said I think account services for its honorable job of providing humor to streams and being the first "in this naming style" should be an exempt.

There might be real accounts however that now use these keywords (in spoiler tags), so it might be a bit too late, but at least prevent new accounts or perform control on accounts with the keywords I mentioned.

They shouldn't be allowed as you say but i can guarantee that even if they blocked access to names like or similar to the ones used in this phishing attempt others will pop up...and the gullible will click the links regardless...fuck, many edjits i have seen on other forums will click a link in a thread with a title claiming it is a scam.....

Is the _GGG tag not restricted to employees?
IRON MAN

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info