Pay to Win or Hats

While this game claims it will not be pay to win, I understand any expansive free to play game will have a revenue-generating method. From the FAQ, it mentions two types of purchases, aesthetics and perks.

1. Aesthetics
From previews I've seen, there does not seem to be an option for any character customization or even a choice between female and male in starting classes. The ability to choose a character model and a class separately would help a lot here.

What are some of the aesthetic upgrades in this game and will they be time limited and/or tradable?

2. "Perks"
Perks are often synonymous with pay-to-win. Even exp boosts can be significant, especially with some games that have an impractical exp curve.

What does the word "perk" actually entail?
Perks are extra stash tabs. That's about it. Exp boosts aren't happening.
And character slots if I remember correctly
but these are purely optional upgrades as far as I am aware as creation of alts for extra storage or characters is allowed (I think)
IGN --- Grizdale
"
Grizdale wrote:
but these are purely optional upgrades as far as I am aware as creation of alts for extra storage or characters is allowed (I think)

yeah i think i saw in a competition forum post or a loading screen or something it reccomended doing it as a storage method.
"
At Open Beta, we will have a range of different microtransactions for sale, including many of the following:

Public stash tabs (viewable to other players for trade purposes)
Cosmetic pets
Alternate skill effects
Special animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)
Special paid leagues (with custom game rules)
Guild storage
Alternate item skins and visual effects
Special cosmetic item properties such as “extra gore”
Item dyes

From the donation page.

Basically it is mostly cosmetic stuff and a few game play helping things such as extra stash slots, more character slots, etc. You won't be buying a Super Awesome Axe of Awesomeness that is the best item in the game from the cash shop. You will have to craft your own item(s), barter for them, or just go out and item farm like the good old ARPG days.

Welcome to Wraeclast ;)
The best functional example of non pay to win microtransactions is implemented in league of legends, so no worries, this game wont turn pay to win.
ZOMG ITS BETA TIME!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/23123 This is why.
The "most" power u can get here in the shop are extra Stash and Char slots but the base Stash is from the beginning on much bigger then e.g. the Diablo 3 stash. And i think the Base Charslots are 25.

And u can still create 100 free Acc´s with Stash´s and Charslots ^^
IGN: kReiZy
Last edited by sYkoDe4d on Jul 6, 2012, 10:49:27 AM
I wanted to give a more detailed post but I was in a car on an ipad at the time.

Perks are essentially serving a very specific purpose, from what I've gathered in Chris' various interviews; perks attempt to undercut the need/desire for people to create smurf accounts or mule accounts to hold items for them or twink additional characters beyond the character limit.

That said, the default character limit is 24, which 90% of players will never ever EVER use all of, and the default number of stash tabs is 4. These "perks" are just added options so you don't need to make a billion accounts.
Last edited by teacherpeter on Jul 6, 2012, 12:15:02 PM
"
Grizdale wrote:

It's not worth it in the long run, and specially if you play multiple characters.

Also yes, hats.
Sweeping Maid
Last edited by nzrock on Jul 7, 2012, 2:04:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info