The New Reverb Is Horrible

"
f0xx wrote:
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
Very confused about this reaction! I'm wondering if a few of the reverb fixes did not get merged into the patch it should be pretty subtle in all areas, also the option to turn reverb on and off works for me :| so I really have no idea how this has happens.

Specifically in towns, you shouldn't really be able to tell there is reverb.... Ill look into this today.

The problems start once you push the secret relic that releases Vaal. Then it gets dark and you have reverb EVERYWHERE.

It seems to be connected to the darkness somehow. When I killed Vaal, everything was back to normal.

I noticed it with the darkness too, it's almost like there's a dark void sucking the life out of the land.. huh, wait a second! There is a dark void sucking the life out of the land!! but I'm sure this is just a bug :P

I've listened to the dialog a bit now and the reverb does sound like an electronic sound tunnel.

The reverb in their dialog would be more passable if the front end of their voice was strained more. It's hard to explain what I mean by strain, in two words: pain/fear, unfortunately I suspect that would take a full re-recording of their voices to achieve this and then you'd have to manage 2 copies of their dialog, one while in darkness and one copy while outside of darkness.

I don't know what sound effects I would have done for their dialog in a chasm of darkness, I'd maybe do distance mixed with strain, hard to know what I'd want without hearing it though. A bad side effect of my distance idea would be that the same people in this thread who point out you're not in a cave would be back pointing out the NPC is right in front of you.
"
f0xx wrote:
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
Very confused about this reaction! I'm wondering if a few of the reverb fixes did not get merged into the patch it should be pretty subtle in all areas, also the option to turn reverb on and off works for me :| so I really have no idea how this has happens.

Specifically in towns, you shouldn't really be able to tell there is reverb.... Ill look into this today.

The problems start once you push the secret relic that releases Vaal. Then it gets dark and you have reverb EVERYWHERE.

It seems to be connected to the darkness somehow. When I killed Vaal, everything was back to normal.

yep this is when I noticed it the most as well.

I think it fits with the vibe of the shadows closing in, and everything dark and mysterious its just too overbearing, so maybe even if it was a little less extreme?
"
f0xx wrote:

Good observation. I'm currently in the darkness right now, and there's reverb everywhere. It sounds so weird to hear Greust's voice have reverb in an open air town. It's also very out of place in the middle of Pools and Streams. :D

Unlike a lot of other people, when I unchecked the option it turned off.
Okay so it does seem like most people are saying that the reverb for the darkness effect is to extreme?

When darkness descends in act 2 all darkness environments have the same reverb environment. I'll look into changing it.

As for the actual quality of the reverb, we are just working with what we have. using the openAL EFX reverb.
The audio guy.
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
Okay so it does seem like most people are saying that the reverb for the darkness effect is to extreme?

When darkness descends in act 2 all darkness environments have the same reverb environment. I'll look into changing it.

As for the actual quality of the reverb, we are just working with what we have. using the openAL EFX reverb.

Ohhhh that's what it was!

I released the Darkness in Merciless earlier today and my audio went really echoey. I thought something happened to my computer and I restarted my computer a couple of times, as well as tried to fiddle with the audio in and out of the game.

I suppose changing The Darkness change the sound is a cool feature, but I it seemed like a bug.
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:

I would look into ValhallaRoom, it's absolutely a top tier reverb perfect for stuff like this and it's only $50. The current game reverb quality is honestly sub par in my opinion.
I make music.
"
Zerocloud411 wrote:
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:

I would look into ValhallaRoom, it's absolutely a top tier reverb perfect for stuff like this and it's only $50. The current game reverb quality is honestly sub par in my opinion.
You'll probably find that $50 price tag excludes commercial licensing/use.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
"
"
Zerocloud411 wrote:
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:

You'll probably find that $50 price tag excludes commercial licensing/use.

no it doesn't...where did you get that from? It's fully licensed.
I make music.
I realise its not the best (I'm used to using lexicon native reverb and I haven't heard better reverb than that) but for now its all we have to work with.

while valhallaroom seems like a good product it would take a HUGE amount of work to integrate a 3rd party program into path of exile. I wouldn't even know where to begin!

oh just to clarify I don't add reverb to sounds in a DAW. All the reverb is processed in real time by the game engine. There are lots of cool advantages to this, especially if we end up with a physics engine in the game (I'm not saying we will but one can hope) Then we could do things like real time reflections calculated from the actual areas your in.

In any case, I have been tweaking all the reverb, hopefully its a bit better for 0.11.0
The audio guy.
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
I realise its not the best (I'm used to using lexicon native reverb and I haven't heard better reverb than that) but for now its all we have to work with.

while valhallaroom seems like a good product it would take a HUGE amount of work to integrate a 3rd party program into path of exile. I wouldn't even know where to begin!

oh just to clarify I don't add reverb to sounds in a DAW. All the reverb is processed in real time by the game engine. There are lots of cool advantages to this, especially if we end up with a physics engine in the game (I'm not saying we will but one can hope) Then we could do things like real time reflections calculated from the actual areas your in.

In any case, I have been tweaking all the reverb, hopefully its a bit better for 0.11.0

I prefer Valhalla over Lexicon to be honest, I've used Lexicon PCM for awhile and got sick of it for creative purposes, for realistic purpose though it probably is hard to beat. And cool I didn't know it was done real time.
I make music.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info