Mouse responsiveness

Just started playing, but already I've noticed lack of responsiveness that's got nothing to do with casting animation or speed.

When moving while holding down LMouse, there is a lag to the movement direction updating to where the mouse is pointing. It's very noticeable if you move your mouse in a small circle around your character. What I'd expect is for your character to spin around almost in place, which does not happen. Instead it seems that every once in a while the mouse location registers and your character goes off in that direction and mouse movement is ignored again until it registers.

This may be related to the above, and actually may be the cause of it. There is a minimum distance away from the character that you must move the mouse to before movement commands register. It seems that any click within ~1 character width (~1cm on my monitor, 1920x1080 22in) is ignored. This means you cannot precisely position your character once you get close to where you want to go, nor can you rapidly change the facing of your character (and direction he's hurling spells at) by using minor mouse movements.

There're also a few minor inconveniences:

1. When a witch with a wand tries to cast a spell with insufficient mana, nothing happens while other classes revert to their default weapon attack. I'd expect the witch to use her wand if she can't cast the spell due to mana.

2. When you interact with an NPC the menu comes up with the various options. Instead of being able to exit that menu simply by moving away, any click exits the menu without carrying out the default command. If I'm talking to one NPC, then I click on another NPC, I'd expect to exit the current conversation, move to the other NPC, and initiate a new conversation with one click.
Last edited by gastank on Jul 5, 2012, 2:38:42 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Realized this should be in the Beta Feedback forum. If a mod could move it there, I'd appreciate it.
I've already answered the concern about changing direction responsiveness once today, so without going into it too much: It's an illusion, your character is moving in the direction you click, the animation is making it look slow.

1) That's because you're using a spell and not an attack. If you were using something like Power Siphon and you ran out of mana your witch would use her wand attack.

2) No. That's some kind of personal preference.
TehHammer is not a crime!
Hold down left mouse and move around your character in a tight circle. Now compare it to a game like Diablo where mouse movement responsiveness is near instantaneous. There is a world of difference. Even with madly clicking, I'm not sure it's even possible to make your character spin about in place.

Does this matter for the numerical gameplay? Does spinning around in place make me kill monsters faster? Most certainly not. But whether it's an illusion or not doesn't change the fact that in a mouse driven action game, what I am doing with the mouse isn't translating into what I am seeing on my screen.

Also another inconvenience I noticed was that if you're moving by holding down LMouse, other mouse commands don't register. For example, if you have spell bound to Q, you can cast that spell while continuing to move with LMouse. However, if you want to cast a spell bound to RMouse, it won't cast until you release LMouse first. Similar thing with holding shift - if I'm moving while holding LMouse, I'd expect that when I press shift I'd cast the ability bound to LMouse then continue moving.
"
gastank wrote:

Also another inconvenience I noticed was that if you're moving by holding down LMouse, other mouse commands don't register. For example, if you have spell bound to Q, you can cast that spell while continuing to move with LMouse. However, if you want to cast a spell bound to RMouse, it won't cast until you release LMouse first. Similar thing with holding shift - if I'm moving while holding LMouse, I'd expect that when I press shift I'd cast the ability bound to LMouse then continue moving.

I have noted this before. I think this is one of the reasons combat can feel clunky. Having to stop the current action to initiate the next action. I understand timing animations with actions like a stutter step but basic skill rotation requiring that you stop rather then queue or instant breaks the fluidity of combat.

If you use a potion while holding down left click you will notice it works what I would consider "correctly". Not sure if the stop current action before the next is a design choice or just a layover that never got noticed.
Here's the quote from a dev:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
A caveat to my previous post: I'm not an artist, so am not an expert on exactly how long it would take, but I know it would be significant. That doesn't mean it could never happen, but it's not a matter of just adding a simple thing to let you cancel animations (at least not without massive swingy changes to balance)
"
lucid88 wrote:
But i mean you can't just suspend last few miliseconds of an animation to allow us to move when we attempt to? I dont think its even the animations. the animations seem to finish and still our characters are locked into position for maybe half a second and its surprisingly annoying.
It is the animations - you perform a full attack animation (which takes a duration based on your weapon) and then you can perform other animations, such as moving as soon as that's done.
The animation has what's called a"contact point" at which you actually hit the enemy, and damage is applied. My understanding of what people are asking for is that they be able to cancel the attack animation after the contact point and not finish it.

The problem with that is that then we don't have attack duration. Currently someone attacking with a claw and someone attacking with a sword take the same duration (assuming that their weapons have the same base attack duration and they have the same increases to attack speed). For the sake of argument let's say their attacks each take one second.
But because the swing animations are different, the contact point for the claw attack animation might be significantly earlier than the one in the sword attack animation - where before both took 1 second to perform an attack, if we simply let you cancel the animation after the contact point they'd no longer have the same effective duration when used this way, because the claw might contact at 300ms and be able to cancel after that to start attacking again, whereas the sword might not contact until 600ms. These numbers are just made up as an example, but you probably get the picture.

I can't say for sure exactly how different the contact points are between different classes and weapon types (and potentially even the alternate swing animations for the same class/weapon), nor do I have time to look them all up right now, but I know they are there and are significant enough that this would be a big problem - hence why I said that such a change would likely require redoing a lot of animations, as we'd basically need to make them all have contact points at the same point in the animation.

So that's why animation cancelling isn't something that can just be plugged into the game without massive consequences elsewhere.

This one is an illusion - there is not actually any delay. The character starts playing the attack animation as soon as you click, and is playing it while they rotate, although the rotation disguises this movement a bit. The time from beginning to attack to finishing the attack is always the same, regardless of rotations. The rotation is a purely visual thing - mechanically, the character doesn't have to face a particular way to hit something, he just needs to be in range. They end up facing what they hit simply because the character is turned to face anything they attack, but this occurs at the same time as the attack itself, not before.
TehHammer is not a crime!
I actually don't have a problem with the attack animation - maybe I haven't made myself clear enough. It's the lack of responsiveness to mouse direction while ONLY MOVING that is my concern. While it may be related, it's a distinct issue from responsiveness to movement after the attack animation.

To me it contributes far more to the 'sluggish' feel of the game than anything else. When I am in the middle of an attack animation and my character doesn't respond right away, I can understand the cause & effect: my character is attacking and the opportunity cost of that is a reasonable delay in movement responsiveness. However, if all I am doing is moving around, delay in responsiveness to movement commands simply feels unreasonable.

Also noticed another peculiarity: if you begin a targetted attack by targetting a mob and hold down the key, you will stop attacking when that mob dies regardless of whether you've moved your mouse to a new target, even if you continue to hold down the key. However, if you begin the attack by pointing at the ground, then you will continue to attack regardless of what mob dies. Further, in the first case, after you've stopped attacking, once you cast a non-targetted spell (while continuing to hold down the key) you will resume casting.
Last edited by gastank on Jul 6, 2012, 5:36:57 PM
This is a huge issue for me too. I've played Path of Exile up to around lvl 44, and I didn't notice, but then I played D3 for awhile, and I definitely notice the change in responsiveness.

It's about having your character move to where you click, the moment you click. PoE seems like it forces the character to finish its cast/shoot animation before moving to where you want it.

I prefer being able to "stutter step" and quickly cast/move/cast/move.

"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
I've already answered the concern about changing direction responsiveness once today, so without going into it too much: It's an illusion, your character is moving in the direction you click, the animation is making it look slow.

What he's talking about is not an illusion. :|
Last edited by Atrophex on Jul 7, 2012, 8:29:39 PM
"
Atrophex wrote:
This is a huge issue for me too. I've played Path of Exile up to around lvl 44, and I didn't notice, but then I played D3 for awhile, and I definitely notice the change in responsiveness.

It's about having your character move to where you click, the moment you click. PoE seems like it forces the character to finish its cast/shoot animation before moving to where you want it.

"
TheRabbit303 wrote:

I think you didn't take your time to read the entire quote that rabbit posted here.

Every weapon got another delay on the actual hit of the attack, all attack animations are same length (if the attackspeed is exactly the same).

For example a claw hits a bit earlier than a sword, this means if you could run away before the attackanimation ended that the claw would make benefit in the delay on the sword, while both weapons got the same attackspeed. Which means the claw will be faster than the sword, but the attackspeed says otherwise (it's the same!).

I find it sounding logical that everybody has to end his attackanimation before moving.

I haven't played the game myself just yet, but I think you can trust him on this one. Because one of the devs themselves checked this...
"
Spectruma wrote:
"
Atrophex wrote:

"
TheRabbit303 wrote:

I think you didn't take your time to read the entire quote that rabbit posted here.

Every weapon got another delay on the actual hit of the attack, all attack animations are same length (if the attackspeed is exactly the same).

For example a claw hits a bit earlier than a sword, this means if you could run away before the attackanimation ended that the claw would make benefit in the delay on the sword, while both weapons got the same attackspeed. Which means the claw will be faster than the sword, but the attackspeed says otherwise (it's the same!).

I find it sounding logical that everybody has to end his attackanimation before moving.

I haven't played the game myself just yet, but I think you can trust him on this one. Because one of the devs themselves checked this...

Perhaps you don't understand the issue? It's not about whether moving AFTER an attack animation makes logical sense, it is about the feel of it, and preferring your character to move when you tell it to.

It's fine if the devs want to make character movement more realistic, however the feedback was that it didn't feel as good.

Hope that makes sense.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info