Help with Archer build

Hello there.
I am very new (one week) to this game, and I need some advice from all you awesome guys.
Here is what i have right now:

The build I am considering:
Crit Kicking Surviving Leecher

My main concern is that it is over 70 points and that I have no clue what I should get first.
1. How useful is Mind drinker on higher levels? If I do not go that path, I will loose potentially huge bonus for Lighting Arrow.
2. Is Skill Duration useful for archers?
3. Should I don't worry about Crystal Skin area till I get to higher levels? Is it even useful?
4. And what about King of the Hill? Will I have enough critical chance in order to make this skill useful? I was thinking about pushing the enemies away, since most archers are dead meat in close combat
5. Absence of STR and INT skills. It will be a problem to use high lvl armor that gives armor/shield.
6. Am I asking too many questions? ^_^

Thank yo ufor your time.
1. it is only useful when you have high physical damage, you wrote that you are going to use Lightning Arrow. In that case that passive point would be a waste.
2. Depends on what skills you are planning to use, with Lightning Arrow it would be a waste.
3. Never used it, for burn just use a flask, same for chilled/frozen
4. I'm using Projectile weakness curse and since you dont really invested points in crit your crit chance will be very low (base crit chance is 5%, your passive build has like 200% increased crit chance so you will have like 15% crit chance)
5. You can compensate with items to get more strength, like +str belt, onyx amulet and stuff like this. But i wouldn't recommend using str armors for rangers, you will get a malus on your runspeed and armor in general is weak (read the mechanic thread in general forum)

Some sidenotes, since this is your first char and you dont have any items to compensate for the passive build you are planning. You will have huge problems with survival, no health, no armor, no evasion and no es.

Check out some threads in this section and read about the problems ppl having :P

As for now, you can basicly spend your passive how you like, since next week or so a new patch is comming (full passive points reset).

E: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/33840 posted my gear/build in this thread with some comments (its a working chaos, all inis not just ledge, "high" crit ~30% LA ranger, )
Last edited by lpsusi on Jul 4, 2012, 9:08:41 AM
I was just reading your post after I started this thread =)
Probably I should just level up and see what is important. But noooo I want it to be perfect the first time.
Thank you for the advice
"
reflecter wrote:
Probably I should just level up and see what is important. But noooo I want it to be perfect the first time.
Thank you for the advice

like i said, with the new patch all passives will be reset, so just test what ever you want :)
"
reflecter wrote:
Thank you for the advice

You won't be perfect the first time, that's kind of the whole point of the game.
TehHammer is not a crime!
"
reflecter wrote:
4. And what about King of the Hill? Will I have enough critical chance in order to make this skill useful? I was thinking about pushing the enemies away, since most archers are dead meat in close combat

Knockback distance is too small in PoE to make a difference here.
I rolled a bow character grabbing all sorts of +Crit Chance nodes, pimping a bow with extra crit chance and slotting the support gem as well.
Ended up somewhere between 25 and 30% to score a crit, though it can be pushed higher but probably not past 40% chance without having a totally gimped character in other areas.
That said even with 3 attacks per second, I found the Knockbacks just weren't there.
My impression also is that Kockback + Stun together should reliably keep mobs at roughly the same distance if not push them back even more.
This did not happen while playing my archer, so I completely dropped the entire KotH cluster on my new Ranger (and all +Crit chance passives as well).

btw I was trying to find an in-depth discussion about King of the Hill but couldn't find one.

My suggestion would be to base KB distance on a combination of Strength score + attack speed* + damage dealt vs monster size (grunts getting basically SHOT back across the map, while huge bosses barely move)

edit*
the factoring of base weapon attack speed in my suggestion would go like this:
faster swinging (or shooting) weapons = lightweights, thus the factor for KB distance should be smaller
slower swinging (or shooting) weapons = heavier, thus the factor for KB distance should be greater

more edit
Having KotH working based on scoring a crit is usually redundant late game since crits are that devestating that you usually take down even champions with 1 crit.
If you're leaving PoE, chances are I'll rezz you as my minion! MWHAHAHAH
Last edited by Mune on Jul 13, 2012, 6:38:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info