Is there a hidden IAS stacking penalty?

Maybe I am not calculating this right but I was playing with some numbers and according to my IAS on my char I should have 3.165 Attacks/s with my frenzy skill when running 4 charges. On the skill itself it says 0.41s attack time. That translates into 2.43 Attacks/s not 3.165.

IE. The attack speed on my frenzy (with support gems and such) without charges is 0.43s attack time. With frenzy charges x 4 which give 9% IAS and 5% IAS each (from the skill gem and base frenzy) which equals a total of 71% IAS.

So with 4 frenzy charges which give 71% IAS the skill drops only to 0.41s attack time. This is not a 71% increase in speed.

Am I missing something or is there a hidden stacking penalty for IAS that I am not aware of? If so such things would be nice to know as I have likely been wasting my faster attacks gem on a skill that does not need it.
"
Ascendic wrote:
With frenzy charges x 4 which give 9% IAS and 5% IAS each (from the skill gem and base frenzy) which equals a total of 71% IAS.
If each charge gives a 5% and a 9% increase, that's a 14% increase per charge, which is a 56% total increase for four charges. I don't see where your 71% comes from.

Also, the bonus you're getting from the charges it additive with your other increases from passives/mods/buffs/etc. Those are still applying when you have no charges, so the time listed when no charges are up is not the base time, it already has some increase.
1.71 bonus comes from 1.09**4 * 1.05**4.
In short, Ascendic assumed everything stacked multiplicatively.

"Increased means additive, More means multiplicative."
You're right it was supposed to say 56% I am not sure where the 71 came from. Still it doesnt seem a 56% difference when it only goes from 0.43 to 0.41?

Let me also clarify where the 3.165 came from. My bow has a base AS of 1.50/s. I have 111% IAS in total from passive nodes and gear and the frenzy bonus and support gems on the frenzy skill. So 111% of 1.5 would be 3.165 attacks per second.

But by multiplying out the frenzy 0.41s per attack I only get the 2.44 attacks per second number: 1/0.41 = 2.44
Last edited by Ascendic on Jul 3, 2012, 11:50:34 PM
"
Ascendic wrote:
You're right it was supposed to say 56% I am not sure where the 71 came from. Still it doesnt seem a 56% difference when it only goes from 0.43 to 0.41?
Which is because of the second part of my post - the attack time listed on the skill when you don't have charges up already has other increases applied to it. If, for example, your passives, etc give you a 50% increase to attack speed already, then you're going from 50% total increase to 106% total increase - and the effect of that difference is not the same as going from 0% increase to 56% increase.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Ascendic wrote:
Which is because of the second part of my post - the attack time listed on the skill when you don't have charges up already has other increases applied to it. If, for example, your passives, etc give you a 50% increase to attack speed already, then you're going from 50% total increase to 106% total increase - and the effect of that difference is not the same as going from 0% increase to 56% increase.

Right I realize it is not actually the base time, but it is the time on resting state (IE without any frenzy charges). So the only difference between 0.43 and 0.41 is the 4 frenzy charges which should be 56% more IAS. Without frenzy charges the IAS is 20% (excluding 11% on the bow) + 35% for faster attacks = 55% IAS. Frenzy adds 20%+36% = 56%. So technically the 56% IAS is DOUBLE my IAS without frenzy charges. Meaning 0.43 should go down to something like 0.22.

Even if the 11% IAS on the bow is factored in that means its 66% IAS without frenzy so 56% is still just under double the IAS bonus.
Last edited by Ascendic on Jul 4, 2012, 12:19:39 AM
Can you link your weapon(s), relevant gems, and any gear with attack speed mods, and your passive build here, and I'll see if I can explain the calculation.
Also if you could post a screenshot (F8) of your character panel offense tab for the frenzy skill with and without charges that would help as well.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 4, 2012, 10:29:54 PM
Its strange now Frenzy is showing 0.31 AS. The only thing that has changed is I have gained a level and probably so has some gems but the bonuses on them has not changed. I think I have also restarted the client / PC as something happened to my sound.

Maybe one of the gems was bugged at whatever level it was at or my character was bugged until I levelled?

0.31 from 0.43 seems like a better bonus.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQIAAJbF5wd3v20KqDEdDTEnnBQVJFcUUvkIF36X4heHlYcZ7Z6AG85OTSPAK9szgUS2NuD40Dqr8ic7kMhkQbyyWkIlWQtCTNa8RMYy6UcSK3RIWfzzSRB4xUncmRBLBiVrWecoRWDw1q1kplC0cYQpHHfPAll8wCHegIIgVYDJM9WB9mBMhn0psomDkySW_W-2l5zDiZiq2n-YxaObmjrizZsdSUCbb0JKnINi253CjJepCn88qgU6VqoOCjCrZVXSr6bMJLBL8mW09lXhueU_vcc_0KTHQaqWyCP0YMoBrn3K3NwZ3qCvTeSv3A7t9nkW8kM_fvfLcBn4-yDI

I am not sure how to link items properly all I can get is an image to come up

Last edited by Ascendic on Jul 4, 2012, 1:22:57 AM
"
Ascendic wrote:
0.31 from 0.43 seems like a better bonus.
That seems more reasonable with the numbers you suggested - are you sure you weren't previously looking at the character panel for the default attack rather than frenzy? It gets much less benefit from the charges, so the slower attack time would make sense, and the panel defaults to showing the default attack when opened.
It was myself that was trying to figure this out with you in chat earlier.

At a glance those numbers do look right.

You need to be really careful with the numbers you use in this game and make sure you account for all the bonuses.

If in doubt then strip your character naked and add stuff piece by piece after you account for your passives + weapon on it's own and remember to always work from your base attack and then add the attack speed additively for the skills you are interested in.
Last edited by Korgath on Jul 4, 2012, 1:55:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info