New computer £1500 to spend

"
Asrock mobo's are garbage.
560ti is last gen. Why would you get that when you coudl get a 7870 or a 660?

Get an SSD op. The single biggest boost to your pc's responsiveness, boot time, and app loading.

An I5 ( or 8350?) what ever fits your budget, 8gb of ram a solid mobo, solid psu ( think xfx, or Corsair), and a 7870+ /660+
You'll be good for a few years.

+1 to the Noctua heatsink though. I got a NH-D14. what a beast it is.

And there's nothing wrong with AMD gpu's. Unless you're talking about multi-gpu config, Nvidia tends to have quicker updates for profiles. the best bang for your buck currently for single config is AMD. That is a fact.
A 7870 walks all over the 660. You have to spend more ( a fair bit more) and get a 660ti to beat a 7870, and it's not even much better.

I'm not gonna shop for ya. Take the best brand names for mobo, ssd and psu, and find a deal.

Edited, i thought he suggested a I7. 3570K is right on.

I already had the 560ti but I would recommend it still as the bang for buck is still worthwhile & will free up cash to spend on other parts. I can run every game I play on max & have no problems with heat at all. Sure there are better but for the extra you pay you don't get the equivalent in performance.

I am happy with my ASRock, not sure why you feel it's garbage. My system is good to go at being OC'd but I am perfectly happy with it's current performance so I haven't upped it just yet. It's a solid pc that doesn't go 5deg above idle temps & can run everything I throw at it in max settings.

It cost me £650(ish) with free shipping & I am more than happy to recommend it to anyone looking for a price efficient gaming pc.
Pick up GTX 670 MSI edition, best GPU I have every purchased.
Also pick up Corsair vengeance ram, comes with heat spreaders for OC
I recently got a Corsair GS 180 GB SSD and it is amazing! I have never seen such a boost in performance! I tossed my old raptors back in raid 0 as a secondary drive for every thing I don't want on my SSD.

Make sure you MOBO has HDD/SSD controllers that let you run raid and AHCI off a single controller, it makes a difference.

I am also running older intel core i7 extream 670's OC to 3 ghz normal 3.5 turbo, with my rig I have yet to run into a game that I get low FPS on, yes even you PoE with your massive fps drops! I go from 120 fps down to 60, so nothing your eye will really notice.
Twitch.tv/Nithryok
I don't know if you've made your decision or not, but going to this site is great if you want to build your own. Choose your country and it should take you to the sites with the prices and parts, and they're constantly adding more countries as time goes on.

www.LogicalIncrements.com
Try this site for a general idea on benchmarks on different computer components.

www.tomshardware.com
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit - The Tick
"
magree wrote:
Try this site for a general idea on benchmarks on different computer components.

www.tomshardware.com

Awesome site, but ignore all synthetic benchmarks, only pay attention to benchmarks in games that you play or plan on playing since that's what will matter when you're actually... playing.
"
AintCare wrote:
had to login to laugh at op priority 1-SSD, 9-RAM, and guy dissing i7 for gaming experience LOL... made my day :)

omg omg! there is also recommendation for after market heat sink! hahah priceless :D

Ya, the order thing was mostly top priority, middle priroty, low prioroty not

1 importance
9 importance

More top priority
middle priority

Im not dumb... the GPU's RAM is prioritised anyway in games and 16 gb of ram or more is a complete waste...even 4gb is sufficient generally but 8 or 12 is solid.

Besides i feel an SSD is probably the single most beneficial factor nowadays and so deserves the top spot. Its THE thing that improves performance the most if you have a semi decent rig especially on a game with a lot of asset loading (hmmmmmm what games do i play again)......

Anyway, thanks for the other responses, and keep em coming, i am not up to date with the "theres problems with this" and "this new technology is amazing" shit these days so it'll all help me.

One thing though - I WILL NOT buy AMD graphics cards again.

Every single new game that comes out it seems it takes them ages to catch up so you can play the game smoothly - D3 too ages - stuttering like hell and yes that was asset loading but I think the GPU had a lot to do with some of that too. Also if the new driver fucks it up even more - its not the easiest process in the world to roll back to a previous driver (you think you have ...... but in fact you have not and have to do loads of stupid shit).

I have edited the original post with things that I am decided on thus far. I would like to think/see more opinions some more about the rest for now.

Last edited by DexDeus on May 5, 2013, 5:50:47 PM
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
I don't know if you've made your decision or not, but going to this site is great if you want to build your own. Choose your country and it should take you to the sites with the prices and parts, and they're constantly adding more countries as time goes on.

www.LogicalIncrements.com

I found this really useful and since the components suggested here and in other reviews seem to match up to the ones they suggest, it gives me more confidence in trusting them on the other items.

I'll still do more research but seems a solid suggesting site.
Stay far away from 500 series cards. 700 series is coming soon, meaning 600 will pricedrop.
If you get a 500 series, you will end up replacing it really fast. I myself have been using a GTX 570 for quite some time now, and i definitely am feeling the need to replace it with a 700 series card.

Wait for 700 series to come out and either get a GTX 770/780 at full price, or a pricedropped 670./680
"
Xendran wrote:
Stay far away from 500 series cards. 700 series is coming soon, meaning 600 will pricedrop.
If you get a 500 series, you will end up replacing it really fast. I myself have been using a GTX 570 for quite some time now, and i definitely am feeling the need to replace it with a 700 series card.

Wait for 700 series to come out and either get a GTX 770/780 at full price, or a pricedropped 670./680

I did a bit of research as to exactly how soon and apparently the best estimates are 2014 - Tom's Hardware a reliable source.

I cant wait that long. The plan is possibly to get 2 600 series cards

Anyone thing this is not a good idea?
"
DexDeus wrote:

TOP priority items (spare less expense - i want very good ones)

1) SSD (pref 256gb) (DECIDED - Crucial CT256M4SSD2 256GB M4 SATA III 6Gb/s)
2) GeForce grpahics card (DECIDED - 2 x GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX660Ti)
3) Processor [DECIDED - Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU]

Middle priority

4) Mobo (DECIDED - Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard)
5) TFT monitor ( DECIDED - BenQ GL2450HM 24 inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor)
6) PSU (DECIDED - Seasonic 750W M12II Bronze Series Modular Power Supply)
7) Case (DECIDED - Cooler Master HAF X USB 3.0 XL ATX Case)
8) Cooling [DECIDED Noctua - Heatsink + Fan CPU Cooling Kit - Dual Fan - NH-D14]
9) RAM (DECIDED - Crucial BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU Sport 8GB Kit)

Low priroty (spare expense where possible)

10) DVD drive (DECIDED - Liteon Ihas124 24x Dvd±rw (dual ±r)/ram Sata Drive)
11) HDD (DECIDED - Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive)
12) Anything i might have missed? - dont think so. See below for items def not needed

I do not need (i have these already)

1) Keyboard
2) Mouse
3) OS
4) DVDRW etc - i have a second computer i can do this one
5) Dual screen capabilities (again have on second computer)
6) fantastic sound - for films etc i love my sound and i have surround on my second computer but i play rpgs.... its not that important generally

Looks like a nice rig. I would have gone with and AMD 8320 or 8350 CPU but that's just my taste.

Things you might want to consider are:
upgrading to 12 gigs of memory to make a ramdrive for this game. -(it's on my to do list)
headset
gaming keyboard/pad
webcam.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit - The Tick
Last edited by magree on May 6, 2013, 11:36:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info