Shift attack should be a priority.

I accept that it may not feel like this for everyone but it is a huge hang up for me. IMO, the most important things in an Arpg are:

1. Loot loot loot! - Check

2. Skills/Attributes - Check

3. Combat - Needs serious attention

4. Content - Check

When I refer to combat I actually like a lot of what is under the hood but the inability to hold down left-click to move and press the shift-key to attack while doing so is absolutely destructive to combat fluidity. The combat works as is, but it would be So very much better with this function working properly.

For a gamer like me, it is the thing that will make me not play the game (and in turn not spend money in the cash shop).

Perhaps I am in the minority on this deal. I have searched for other threads and found some that I did post in, but I would love to see more forum activity about this. GGG, I think you are so close but I beg you to NOT go into open beta without this addressed. You will turn a good portion of people away from your game if this is not made a priority.

Umm...I'm confused if your asking them to add in shift attack key or improve upon it? Because shift attacking is already in the game...
Sweeping Maid
I am asking for it to work properly. In its current form it does not. Frankly, I'm not sure what you don't understand.

Can you currently hold shift then attack? Yes you can.

Can you hold left-click down and then hit shift to attack? No you can't, and it is destructive to combat fluidity.
I didnt even realize shift attacking was in this game until I had about 10 hours in because of this. I'd also like to be able to rebind it to spacebar, I didn't see it in the list of keys you can rebind.
I can understand wanting it on the space, in other Arpg games I have played it has been the shift key so that's what I refer to it as.

For it to work properly is my biggest hope, but the ability to bind it to your preference would be icing on the cake.
"
Mizak wrote:
I am asking for it to work properly. In its current form it does not. Frankly, I'm not sure what you don't understand.

Can you currently hold shift then attack? Yes you can.

Can you hold left-click down and then hit shift to attack? No you can't, and it is destructive to combat fluidity.

Oh ok, you should had just said it like this instead of what you wrote in your OP...
Currently you can't do a few things while your character is on the move, that's including using spells & skills, so I guess they should look into this, for which you should had posted this in as a bug report...

"
Jokey665 wrote:
I didnt even realize shift attacking was in this game until I had about 10 hours in because of this. I'd also like to be able to rebind it to spacebar, I didn't see it in the list of keys you can rebind.

Space is currently bind to close all menus windows.
Sweeping Maid
Last edited by nzrock on Jun 30, 2012, 11:51:58 PM
It isn't a bug, it is currently not in the game, and I have replied to other threads regarding this issue in the beta feedback forum but let us be honest, there is more activity in this sub-forum so I wanted it to be seen here as well.

There was one GGG post I found referring to this issue from August 2011, I will look for it to add the link. In a nutshell they said "Hmmm, that would be a good idea" and cited some conflict with shift+enter to access global chat.

If that actually is their stance (the ability to enter global chat through a variation of using the shift key takes precedent over core combat mechanics) then I am a sad panda.

Edit: Link to the one GGG reply I have found so far.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2131/highlight/
Last edited by Mizak on Jul 1, 2012, 12:10:06 AM
"
nzrock wrote:
Space is currently bind to close all menus windows.

What does this affect? Space is re-bindable already. I use esc for this functionality anyway. There is no excuse for a PC game to have anything less than fully customizable controls.
+1 to the OP. This feature is quite important to me. I used to play Diablo 2 that way, left click was always down and shift decided when I stopped to attack.
I don't really have a problem with this. I can adapt to this mechanic since it's really only just having to let go of left click and that's it. Minor inconvenience, but easy to work around.

The big problem for me is rebinding shift. The way I'm setup at my keyboard, I have to angle my hand in a very odd way to hold down shift while still having access to all my other hotkeys. I've had to actually get used to not using shift because of how painful it can get for me after using it too much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info