What is Allocating Space at the install ?

It's tremendously stupid that it takes so long. It takes about 10 seconds for Skyrim to allocate space. There is no excuse for this crap. Name ONE other game that takes this long to allocate space. If this doesn't get fixed then a lot of people will be turned off of this game.
"
it takes so long ... to allocate space.
Just curious, are WinX users also having long allocate times? Or is it entirely GNU/Linux users? Obviously (based on my testing above), file system plays into how long this process takes. I wonder what system it is optimized for?

This is still a beta, so I guess the installer is low on the order of importance. I want to stress that, while most of us posting in the thread are noting long times for this allocation process, I think most of us are happy to get to play them game :)

Let's try to stay positive :)
<3 Running on GNU/Linux Mint 14 via WINE <3
mines been going for about 50 mins alloc. space, and it still isnt done. I could have downloaded the entire client 10 or more times over by now... ridiculous.

I think if they are trying to attract people to the game, most would have given up by now, closed out of the installer and deleted the thing. My hard drive has been going crazy for the whole duration so its not like I can do much else. This needs to be addressed, quickly.

w7 x64 user
Last edited by munkor on Jan 27, 2013, 6:00:49 AM
Running Windows 7 x64 and allocated about 15mins, then started to download.
"
Just curious, are WinX users also having long allocate times? Or is it entirely GNU/Linux users? Obviously (based on my testing above), file system plays into how long this process takes. I wonder what system it is optimized for?

Win7 32 bit here. I had about an hour of "Allocating Space" time, went quickly to about 4GB, then from there at about 200kB/s.
I was high (weed). Thought hey! Maybe I should try that game my friend told me about.

register.. download.. done in (5sec) Yeah!
Install..yeah!... Allocating Space?

wtf?
(2min later...)
This thing copying my hard drive??)
(check forums..)
It does this for 4 hours?
(read more)
12 hours?

(1 min later reading..)
This guys says that new people will abandon playing from the Allocating Space wait.
I think he's on to something, but need to tell the Dev's.
(Writes this e-mail..)
Oh shit.. the stage is over, been what 10min?

Oh.. now's it's downloading.
I was surprised at how long this install process took.
I have a 28Mbps link, 300G free - most of it in 2 contiguous blocks, and was expecting a 4GB file to install very quickly.
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Last edited by Emjayen on Feb 4, 2013, 12:27:11 PM
Does Content.ggpk contain anything other then random uninitialized space during the "Allocating Space" stage? If so, is it possible to just write 4GB empty file under Linux then restart the installer?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA please make button "skip". It lasts 8 hours!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info