Mechanics

How the mechanics work on this game? From the videos I see it looks like this game is based in gear checks and lack some dynamic mechanics. I didn't see in any video a monster casting a spell that must be dodged or something like that, all I see are slow zombies biting people for half of their HP.
Do we have cool mechanics that must be dodged or is it all about the gear/build?
Last edited by winz on Jun 29, 2012, 7:59:32 AM
well for the first boss, i remember having to duck behind rocks to dodge its ice spears but not sure yet.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707

It's true that the game is a lot about the way you build your character and the gear you have, but I don't see gear checks as an inherently bad thing when there is gear abounding like there is in PoE. It'd be fair to say that the focus of this game is gear/loot. This game is like a love letter for fans of gear/loot as well as fans of character customization.

You can dodge ranged attacks in this game, for sure, though. And there are gap closers and escape moves that make for some pretty dynamic combat, and I can only imagine what PvP is going to be like (provided that Flicker Strike is balanced somehow). The most dynamic innovation is the potion system, I'd say... potions that increase specific resistances, potions that allow every hit to be a crit for a few seconds, potions that increase your armor by 10000 for 4 seconds, and of course healing and mana potions. They can all have rarity/magic stats, too! Making potions an integrated part of your build has added a huge level of strategy to this game that I feel is very underrated. (Oh they also refill gradually with kills, rather than being used up)

Yeah, there are gear checks. Monsters get tougher the higher the difficulty you're on... more aggressive, bigger packs, increased life and damage... it's a gear check for sure. But what else should it be? What's the alternative to NOT having monsters get more powerful as the game progresses in difficulty?

I guess I don't see your point.
Last edited by teacherpeter on Jun 29, 2012, 8:30:27 AM
"

It's true that the game is a lot about the way you build your character and the gear you have, but I don't see gear checks as an inherently bad thing when there is gear abounding like there is in PoE. It'd be fair to say that the focus of this game is gear/loot. This game is like a love letter for fans of gear/loot as well as fans of character customization.

You can dodge ranged attacks in this game, for sure, though. And there are gap closers and escape moves that make for some pretty dynamic combat, and I can only imagine what PvP is going to be like (provided that Flicker Strike is balanced somehow). The most dynamic innovation is the potion system, I'd say... potions that increase specific resistances, potions that allow every hit to be a crit for a few seconds, potions that increase your armor by 10000 for 4 seconds, and of course healing and mana potions. They can all have rarity/magic stats, too! Making potions an integrated part of your build has added a huge level of strategy to this game that I feel is very underrated. (Oh they also refill gradually with kills, rather than being used up)

Yeah, there are gear checks. Monsters get tougher the higher the difficulty you're on... more aggressive, bigger packs, increased life and damage... it's a gear check for sure. But what else should it be? What's the alternative to NOT having monsters get more powerful as the game progresses in difficulty?

I don't know if you played D3 but I enjoyed some affixes they made (I hated the game though).
They made some good mechanics, like the Arcane affix, where the monster cast an orb in the floor with beams that keep spinning, if you touch it you are dead (or take a lot of damage if you have a very good gear). I like this kind of mechanic that rewards a player with good reflex instead of just being about gear and absorbing the damage.
"
winz wrote:
"

I don't know if you played D3 but I enjoyed some affixes they made (I hated the game though).
They made some good mechanics, like the Arcane affix, where the monster cast an orb in the floor with beams that keep spinning, if you touch it you are dead (or take a lot of damage if you have a very good gear). I like this kind of mechanic that rewards a player with good reflex instead of just being about gear and absorbing the damage.
i dont know if u played d3 either, those beams were slow an easy to dodge even if the were a waller, i had average gear an owned all the acts ( as a monk even). there are no d3 game mechanics
Once again, dodging projectiles and zapping out of enemy packs is very crucial to gameplay in PoE, and those without the ability to do this will die.
"
Once again, dodging projectiles and zapping out of enemy packs is very crucial to gameplay in PoE, and those without the ability to do this will die.

This is what I wanted to know ^^
Thank you

PS. Those beams are slow but when there are 6 of them in the floor things start to get messy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info