Marauder - How to make a viable build

Welcome! Thanks for joining me here today, I'll be your instructor, Rabbit. Please hold your questions until the end of the presentation, thank you.

Now, let's get started. Why are we here today? That's simple, we want to create a passive tree build with a Marauder!

First off, there are several things to keep in mind:
  • You get 1 passive skill point every time you level.
    • Currently, game content spans levels 1-60.
      • The recently announced end-game includes content up to level 70.
    • This means you can reasonably expect to reach level 70, but you need to be end-game ready by level 60.
  • You get 1 passive skill point for 2 different quests during each difficulty, you also have an option during one quest to get Life, Mana, Resistance, or an additional passive skill point.
  • This means that your character should be end-game ready by the time they have 71 skill points (59 level ups, and 12 quest points)
  • You will never reach level 100, so creating a build utilizing all 111 points that the online tool allows you is inappropriate.

The current end-game of Path of Exile is hard. There are many monsters that will hit you at least once. Thus, it is your best interest to design a character that is capable of surviving one or more hits!

Another thing to keep in mind is the method that the game calculates your damage. Without getting too much into the details, if an item, passive, or ability has the keyword "Increases" consider it adding to your damage multiplier. If the keyword is "More" consider it to multiply your existing damage.

Everyone loves bullet points!
DO:
  • +Do increase your offense and defense!
  • +Do spread out your offensive points between physical damage, elemental damage, and attack speed!
  • +Do pick up accuracy so that you can actually hit things! (Spells have 100% chance to hit! No need for accuracy there!)
  • +Do make a balanced build utilizing only 60-70 points!
  • +Do look for synergies between skills!
  • +Do post your build using [ url] tags! An unclickable build is a bad build :(

DON'T:
  • -Don't go purely into offense or defense!
  • -Don't stack purely into one statistic!
  • -Don't post a build using all 111 points!
  • -Don't forget that skills cost mana, have a plan!

Now, let's get into the specifics, shall we?

The marauder is an excellent starting point for players that want a hard hitting physical character. He starts near a lot of 1h and 2h nodes, and several weapon specific nodes.

Generally a marauder would do best wearing strength armour, and picking up passive skills that boost that defense. Marauders have several shield nodes nearby if they wish to pursue that as a defensive option.

Here are some example Marauder builds:
2H Axe 75 point build

You'll notice that this build utilizes both offensive and defense nodes, picks up weapon damage passives, and attack speed passives. It's not perfect, but it is an excellent start, and the type of thing a new user would be expected to post.

I'll now open up the floor to questions...

Yes, you, back there, go ahead....
TehHammer is not a crime!
That's a really nice guide. Good job, sir.
---------- Dungeon Crawlers Anonymous ----------

We are looking for new members to not only join in the gaming fun, but also to fill several positions in the guild!

Take a look now at: http://dcaguild.com
Great job, Rabbit!

Ykno, i'm a newbie and i'd like to sink myself into a great build. I honestly wanted to be part of the hubbub and play that critical/elemental hit/multi projectile/etc wand witch, but after finding out that active skill gems must be acquired over time, I find myself choosing a self-sustained class like the marauder.

You say don't go purely offense/defense. What if i were to go all life and become minimalist with my offense. Which nodes look good to you?

My suggestion of my Normal run:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEBzbEgVxIhjyPRND3Xy9UXz9M_8Hsxk0n3ojeodnhNAbr7Wu0OqmuudsDmWG9xt7nfeOOzVytyOeRNZqDlSDOnnCKgHsItluUrzRKsjlUcfUb39Jso9phOs0WXAXWTM_O3FxUX1qh2tD27r9-gj4gRWT7ARbsrxrzJ
Here is my 2h Hammer Marauder build.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEAAJbF5wDU5OYBzjiLB3e_bQqoMR0MrwrHD0i74g-Ogp0SIY8jFxUX1heHlYca0JSCG85OTSKgHsIlOwZ_J2gc7C2W5SswCH1AMZNJ9zfEI387KC1VPEhiS0M9xqxIM6ecSM4T3EkQeMVLBiVrTWag5VnnKEVw94dscp9W1HKypW53zwJZeE0BunrgsQl8wCHefduJLqh2tD27r9-g5pCkcPFt-6aqSAHz_155v98DFdSoL3qJzRKsjs2xIFfUi8Sr0TQ918vVF8_TP_B7ojeodvta7Q6qa652wOZYb5tvQkr64Q1L-d6QCJsdSUDkr9wOgfZgTJjFo5urZVXSgMkz1aoFOlaCPL6ss_keE7PUfJOysMcx3Om1j_8VHDfzR3cYk4cffg==

I went for Resolute Technique first then took the nearby health and armor nods and from there i reached the Weapon Elemental Passives. I use Heavy Strike for single targets and Ground Slam for groups of monsters. I also use Hatred.The 2 realy important support gems for my build are Added Fire Damage and Weapon Elemental Damage.
I have 2643 life, 7280 DPS on Heavy Strike(0.58 attack time) and 5619 DPS with Ground Slam (0.46 attack time)
So far i have no problems anywhere in the game including chaos.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Jul 9, 2012, 11:16:11 AM
"
KorgothBG wrote:
Here is my 2h Hammer Marauder build.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEAAJbF5wDU5OYBzjiLB3e_bQqoMR0MrwrHD0i74g-Ogp0SIY8jFxUX1heHlYca0JSCG85OTSKgHsIlOwZ_J2gc7C2W5SswCH1AMZNJ9zfEI387KC1VPEhiS0M9xqxIM6ecSM4T3EkQeMVLBiVrTWag5VnnKEVw94dscp9W1HKypW53zwJZeE0BunrgsQl8wCHefduJLqh2tD27r9-g5pCkcPFt-6aqSAHz_155v98DFdSoL3qJzRKsjs2xIFfUi8Sr0TQ918vVF8_TP_B7ojeodvta7Q6qa652wOZYb5tvQkr64Q1L-d6QCJsdSUDkr9wOgfZgTJjFo5urZVXSgMkz1aoFOlaCPL6ss_keE7PUfJOysMcx3Om1j_8VHDfzR3cYk4cffg==

I went for Resolute Technique first then took the nearby health and armor nods and from there i reached the Weapon Elemental Passives. I use Heavy Strike for single targets and Ground Slam for groups of monsters. I also use Hatred.The 2 realy important support gems for my build are Added Fire Damage and Weapon Elemental Damage.
I have 2643 life, 7280 DPS on Heavy Strike(0.58 attack time) and 5619 DPS with Ground Slam (0.46 attack time)
So far i have no problems anywhere in the game including chaos.

I like the look of this build... Mind posting your attack gem setups?
i'll lay off the health passive nodes and move north to catalyze nodes. simple skills too, i have both heavy strike and ground slam. I plan on going 1h wpn and board though.

Any worthwhile skills to look out for if equipping a shield?
first off ill start by describing the marauder i have imagined.

-1h / shield
- blood magic
- signature skill - shield charge
- support skills - heavy strike/ Lightning strike/ molten shell. and something else for flavor like, shockwave totem or something, which i haven't decided on. (very open to skill suggestions but Shield charge is a must )

basically i want to be high armor, high HP, well.. the Juggernaut... B**ch.. anywho.. here's what i can think of for the build. progression priortie idea.., blood magic > Trolls blood > Fending > Golems blood, and then the block and dmg fillers for the icing on the cake.

what do you all think?

again, very open to suggestion.
The answer is 42.
"
fearthebowtie wrote:
I like the look of this build... Mind posting your attack gem setups?

Since i have a 6 linked 2h hammer i use Ground Slam + Added Fire Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage + Faster Attacks + Mana Leach + Life Leach

On my 4l Boots is my Heavy Strike + Added Fire Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage + Item Quantity

Oh, and one last think i always get the +8% elemetnal resistances from the bandits. I find that decision since with a single skill point you can only get +7% to a single resistance.

Here are my Items:
Unavailable

Unavailable

Unavailable

Unavailable

Unavailable

Unavailable

Unavailable

Unavailable

Unavailable

"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Jul 11, 2012, 7:36:35 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
some of that gear is crazy :)

Thank you for taking the time to post those so i know what Quality gems to keep an eye out for :)
Just started playing and wonder if this skill selection will work.

Viable?

Viable or pipe dream?
Last edited by JDVawter on Jul 11, 2012, 9:15:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info