Build of the Week Video #2

Really interesting build. Keep up the good work Chris! Another good video.

I'd love to see someone who's extensively using traps/mines, an interesting melee character, or a spellcaster who has used support gems in an interesting fashion.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
"
DeF46 wrote:
It's hard to say how viable that Witch is though as level difference is like day and night and she was three levels under map level. I'm guessing she's doing quite fine at equivalent or higher level.

He says, 3 levels above the witches level.
"A tool knows exactly how it is meant to be handled, while the user of the tool can only have an approximate idea." -Milan Kundera
"
zriL wrote:
"
Maverickroll wrote:
"
Septile wrote:
I love the uniques and how they work with the build, truly amazing.

Maybe I'm wrong but as Chris was demoing it, he was fighting what, level 52 or 53 mobs right?

The unique sword was only an ilvl 32, wouldn't have been better off getting a much higher level rare and orbing it to as close to the stats he wants (as he can get)? Just seems like he's sacrificing a lot of damage and other stats for the unique which I understand does help the build some but if you are going for min/max I'm fairly certain you could play RNG enough to get a rare close to that.

Or I could be wrong.

This is my build :) So I can tell you the reasons of these choices :)

What you're saying is completely right, I've thought about it too. Actually, even voll's armor isn't that good for the level (lvl35).
But, in reality, it doesn't matter. It's only thanks to ephemeral edge that I can run the char with nearly infinite mana, the sword gives me several hundreds of mana.
And since i'm focusing on elemental damage, I don't need much physical damage.
Another sword would certainly deal more damage because it would be faster and would have elemental mods (even at lvl32, I had already a better sword). But, as you can see, for the moment the damage output is fair.
Also, ephemeral edge gives 50% critical chance, added to voll's charges, it adds to 200% crit chance. It's not that much, but freezing ennemies makes life easier.
If you want to know, I believe I'm dead only once since the moment I started using the two uniques, and I wasn't really struggling.
To be honest, I don't know if you can make successfully the same kind of melee witch with a normal sword and armor. I would be interested to know.

Right now the build isn't finished, as you probably saw, gear isn't really good. I'm planning to get more crit multiplier to make use of my high crit chance. I also need more sockets to support my skills as I want.
The build might be sub-optimal, but at least it works in merciless, and it's fun and original.

As for the video, Chris played it quite boldly, I'm surprised he didn't die when he faced the pack with golems and gorillas without enfeeble, but he had the granite flask so why not ^^
Actually, I haven't even tried merciless act2 with the char myself. I stopped there the last time I played it.

ps : One thing Chris forgot to say : Since I have loads of mana, I can use sapping flasks, it really helps :)

You can make really powerful melee witches with CI and catalyze, using lightning strike with elemental weap damage, faster attacks, and mana leech. Can run auras wrath anger grace clarity and then some if you like, have to get some es passives to get enough es, and you can get more ele dmaage passives if you like, and the build can be built out fairly different ways. its extremely powerful, with a fast weapon and ele damage on gear you can pull 5k dps pretty easily. The hardest part is finding really high ES gear. In all honesty you can make it with 4 out of the 6 classes, marauder and duelist don't work as well imo for it. And sadly its the most viable and powerful melee spec available right now. The physical damage based melees are extremely weak right now in comparison, and impossible to playin hardcore MoC, whereas the CI weapon elemental specs can do MoC quite well.
"
Crackerblk wrote:
"
DeF46 wrote:
It's hard to say how viable that Witch is though as level difference is like day and night and she was three levels under map level. I'm guessing she's doing quite fine at equivalent or higher level.

Yes, Chris says the area is "about 3 levels above this character", and I phrased it "she is three levels under the map level ;)
This is a truly brilliant build.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Unique item usage genius.

I've only seen Voll's armour before, made me thinking of a potential Discharge build around it but I'm not clever enough.
I don't understand why people are saying this is a good build? How about a critical analysis in one of your next videos?

From what I noticed you reserved only a small portion of your mana to have the 4 auras working together. You also had no issues whatsoever with mana regeneration. In my book that means that opting to take eldrich battery was a waste. The energy shield would have been far more beneficial.

Also if the build is so awesome then why not show us how it works against a rare spawn. Showing us how these builds can fight against trash isn't really that impressive at all.

I understand that you are trying to look outside of what people are playing and try to show something different. Therefore why can't you find someone using an unusual build with a little used skill to open up the under-utilised side of the game?

IGN: Annassassin
"
auLansalot wrote:
I don't understand why people are saying this is a good build? How about a critical analysis in one of your next videos?

From what I noticed you reserved only a small portion of your mana to have the 4 auras working together. You also had no issues whatsoever with mana regeneration. In my book that means that opting to take eldrich battery was a waste. The energy shield would have been far more beneficial.

Also if the build is so awesome then why not show us how it works against a rare spawn. Showing us how these builds can fight against trash isn't really that impressive at all.

I understand that you are trying to look outside of what people are playing and try to show something different. Therefore why can't you find someone using an unusual build with a little used skill to open up the under-utilised side of the game?

The mixture of Eldritch Battery and the uniques was one of those 'why didn't I think of that?!' moments. Rather than something that simply steamrolls the game, this build of the week feature is showing off how people push the envelope of the build system. This IS an unusual build and thus deserved highlighting. I'm glad that you can approach it critically and hope that when your build gets featured (you have submitted one, haven't you?), that others are equally critical in an attempt to help you improve as well! :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
DeF46 wrote:
"
Crackerblk wrote:
"
DeF46 wrote:

Yes, Chris says the area is "about 3 levels above this character", and I phrased it "she is three levels under the map level ;)

You forgot thee "the". And your post points to the validity of this build at equivalent or higher....

no biggie
"A tool knows exactly how it is meant to be handled, while the user of the tool can only have an approximate idea." -Milan Kundera
Last edited by Crackerblk on Jun 24, 2012, 4:15:56 AM
"
auLansalot wrote:

High max mana means high regen. Without eldritch battery, I would be forced to use a mana flask, and I probably wouldn't be able to use sapping life flask. Besides, energy shield isn't really good for melee.

The build can perfectly handle rare mobs, without the need to kite them, for most cases. As I already said, I almost never die with this build, I'd say it's perfectly viable for hardcore. I can't tell you about chaos for the moment.
It's certainly not the best build, but it's definitely viable.

@SEOINAGE : Lightning strike isn't really melee in my opinion.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Jun 24, 2012, 6:13:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info