Can someone explain the currency system to me

I dont quite understand the currency system in this game. anyone care to explain?
What do you mean exactly?

The ingame currency are scrolls and orbs. When you are trading with the NPC traders in the towns you mostly want to sell item which belong into a sell recipe: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223 (a few examples:
-a normal white item gives you a fragment of a wisdom scroll, enough fragments makes a whole scroll;
-if you sell multiple white armor items which all have some % quality and their combined quality is 40% or more you get an Amorers Scrap;
-selling an white, blue and yellow item of the same type (lets say driftwood shields) give you an orb of augmentation)

So as you can see selling the right combinatin of items can give you much better orbs than selling the single items (though you still want to sell the single stuff as well, since wisdom scrolls, orb of alteration and orbs of transmutation can be still quite usefull (selling unidentified items gives you Transmutation shards(which become orbs of Transmutation), identified give mostly alteration shards) ;))

EDIT: of course those orbs are not only currency items, but are used to 'upgrade' your items (in the later game when you are more specialized for certain stuff (for example elemental damage) and when you don't switch your equipment every 5 min you often want to reroll or make certain items to fit your build better)

EDIT2: also when trading with other players you pay mostly with orbs (mostly the more valuable ones, since players in the late game often tries to get 'perfect' items, so they need a LOT of certain orbs)

EDIT3: here is a list of all orbs currently in the game: http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/currency; and if you hear GCP on the trade chat or on the trade forum they mean the Gemcutter's Prism ;)
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Last edited by Sony_Black on Jun 17, 2012, 11:15:09 AM
they do need to simplified it a little...
i am planing on making a post some time with a suggested more organized system that is easy to understand.
We can't solve problems we can't talk about...
To summarise Sony's post: trading goes by a bartering system. We're all outcasts; a community of thiefs, murders, heretics and the like, without any stable civilization. As such there won't be any coins minted very soon.

But I too found it rather unwieldy in it's current form. In the short time I could play, I mostly was dumping everything I didn't need at the vendor and hoped for the best.
It's not a simple system.
But you get the hang of it quick enough.

It's better than gold in my opinion - because of how fast gold inflates.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
"
Sony_Black wrote:
When you are trading with the NPC traders in the towns you mostly want to sell item which belong into a sell recipe

Yep that's one problem with the game. We are passionate about it as we paid to get in, and so we spend the time reading this.

But for reaching a greater audience, the game needs to document at least some of the most basic recipes in game.

First off, no one is having fun discovering this stuff anymore, with forums revealing everything.

Secondly, some of those basic recipes are essential to avoid frustration when running out of certain items, or you get the impression that certain orbs never drop (I did).

Perhaps one way to do this is by having scrolls listing some recipes at the merchant (boring).

Or one of the otherwise decorative NPCs like the old duded in Act 2, that gives you hints "pssst! you exile! Yeena will take an item with 3 linked sockets of different colours and reward you with a chaos orb!" This NPC could also reveal these things, or a different set of recipes, more advanced, in each town, so you dont get overwhelmed at level 1.

"
I dont quite understand the currency system in this game. anyone care to explain?

As for me, I just think of it as bartering.

Then a little later you see a deeper level, where you can not directly buy C with your A, but you can get B for your A, and then you can trade C for your B :)
Last edited by DeF46 on Jun 18, 2012, 4:06:54 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info