The Coward's Trial - Unique map garbage

The final boss, the Infector of Dreams, is supposed to mass-revive all the dead enemies when he spawns. It is not a bug.
Code warrior
"
fgcewoud wrote:
This map is not solo able then :( way too many skeletons.

If you consume the corpses beforehand, he can't raise them.

"
lukeiy wrote:
Seems pretty stupid. By the time you find that out, it's already too late. Add a delay to his mass resurrection, and put a line of text when you mouse over him describing what he will do if you don't finish him quick enough.

It isn't supposed to be fair: it's supposed to be hard. That's what the diamond supporter wanted.
Code warrior
For the record, it doesn't revive everything instantly - it spreads out in a slow wave from the necromancer, taking a total of six seconds to get to it's full range (which is large enough that he gets them all even if he's away in one corner of the room).

If you've killed everything and there's not much going on (projectiles everywhere, etc) to distract you, you can watch them standing up in turn, like a weird undead mexican wave - it looks really cool. If you kill the necromancer before they're all revived, it'll stop at that point.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Apr 22, 2013, 9:02:31 PM
Well, this map isn't supposed to be super-endgame-plus-god-mode-best-drops-evarrrr so I'm not sure what point the comparison to Tarroch's Tomb is supposed to present. It's an interesting factoid, I guess.

We know that some users have performance issues with certain areas, not just the Coward's Trial. We hope to improve this more in future. It doesn't really have anything to do with difficulty, though.
Code warrior
Yeah, it was a trade-off of awesomeness vs. performance... sorry about that.
Code warrior
"
johnKeys wrote:
1) an arena-type challenge can be playable and enjoyable if added when the game is already mature enough from a technical standpoint.

Sure. I understand.

"
johnKeys wrote:
I mean not to offend in case you were the one who designed it, but doing it in an "unconventional" way would make players go "wow! this is epic! who did this?"
which would be a good description to my reaction, when going into the Vaal Oversoul boss-fight for the 1st time, and every time afterwards :)

The diamond supporter wanted an "Oh shit" moment.
Code warrior
"
The only unique the map cant drop is auxium.

Actually...

The guaranteed unique drop from the Infector of Dreams is special. It specifically doesn't check item drop level. So you can totally get Auxium off him, even though it can't normally drop in such a low level area (it's still very rare, though).

So yeah, you can get any unique from killing the Infector, regardless of any "required" drop level.

He still obeys the other normal restrictions, such as the league-specific and league-prohibited uniques, and uniques that can't drop ever (such as race prizes).
Code warrior
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
Really? Can you cite the source which shows the rarity is rolled before the actual number of drops? Because this doesn't make sense to me, as the base item is relevant before rarity.

For example, a unique drop such as astra, vs a unique such as karui ward. If the 'unique' had rolled, then does that mean an onyx has to be a ton more rare than a dex amy? Cause that is wrong.

For a unique, how would it know how 'rare' the unique is to roll until it knows the base item on which the uniques rarity is based?
No - rarity is rolled first explicitly because rolling for base type doesn't make sense for unqiues. We roll rarity so that for normal/magic/rare items we can then roll base type, and for unqiues we instead roll "which unique" which is base-type independant.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info