Block EK marauder (HC)

Do you want to use a shield without investing in block talents? Check out Etup's build. If you're here for the 75% block, read on.

I did this writeup since I get asked about things related to my build daily, hoping it may be of use for someone. This should clarify how you should build when starting from scratch and how to build when you're NOT using Aegis Aurora (most commonly asked questions).

Why block?
- Getting charged by a blue rhoa pack will barely tickle you
- Avoid many common HC death scenarios (big stacks of dmg modifiers leading to hits that armor won't mitigate)
- Works against most sources of chaos damage, the ones you can't block are easily avoidable (poison arrow/bomb)
- You are mostly picking up nodes you've already 'unlocked' and the actual point investment is pretty small
- Gain extra all resist and increased shield defenses

IR or no IR?

It depends on your gear mainly, if you have a good rare shield or a Lioneye's remorse and a solid 1.5k+ pure armor chest, you will easily reach 25k+ armor without IR. If you're starting from scratch I would recommend going for an IR build, it'll give you some good base armor and far more flexibility with gear (more dex too). Note that I'm NOT saying a no-IR build is better with perfect gear.

Leveling
I recommend leveling as melee to at least 40. Picking up the BM keystone for the sole purpose of leveling and removing it later is a good idea. General idea for placing your talent points while leveling : Get the most efficient life nodes while leaving the 8% fillers for later, don't pick up all the block nodes until lvl 50+ (exception : 30 all resist), aim to have Inner Force by the time you switch to BM gem and run your 4-5 auras. Bandits : Help Oak on all difficulties.

Links
I won't go into how you should link your EK here since it depends not only on preference but also on gear. With a projectile speed wand you can choose to skip Faster Projectiles. The choice between Fork and Faster Casting is also hard to set in stone. Personally I run with 100% projectile speed and Fork.

If you're unfamiliar with EK mechanics check out Invalesco's EK shadow guide for a detailed description.

Utility links :
4L : 2x Bear Trap - Added Fire - Blood Magic
4L : Vulnerability(fork)/Projectile Weakness(no fork or low int) - Enduring Cry - Enfeeble - Blood Magic
Optional stuff : 2nd Enduring Cry, Lightning Warp

Link Tempest Shield with Iron Will if possible. You can also link it with Life Leech if you spec for -reservation nodes, although I haven't personally tested this.

Auras
Always : Hatred, Determination, Tempest Shield
Have both of these and swap according to needs : Haste & Purity
If you have IR : Grace (Blood Magic)
If you use Aegis Aurora : Discipline (Blood Magic)

Builds
NOTE : You will hit exactly 75% block with a 34% base block shield (Aegis Aurora has 34%, Lioneye's Remorse has 33%, rare shields can go up to 36%, adjust the builds accordingly) and Tempest Shield (5% with Inner Force).

IR, lvl 92 (click)
Recommended build when starting from scratch with no gear, for 1 week races etc. If you level further you can take the life nodes near inner force or near IR. This build has every core talent, max block and decent life fairly early, you'll be filling out 8% life nodes and endurance charges for the last levels. You will also have a very easy time meeting the dex requirements for Bear Trap / Haste and you can spec out of 30 dex nodes anytime you find dex gear.

No IR, lvl 92 (click)
More life at the cost of not getting IR. Use this if you have suitable gear (all items pure armor, high armor shield, good dex jewelry/gloves). This is build comes out slightly on top when you're high enough level and your gear is good.

Aegis Aurora, lvl 90 (click)
The build I use. Gimmicky build that's borderline immortal against most things with a few little drawbacks. Requires using the unique Lapis Amulet so meeting the dex requirements for Bear Trap will be very tough. If you do level this build past 90 you should pick up the 3x8% life near Inner Force.

FAQ
Q: When should I switch from BM keystone to BM gem
A: A good time would be when your Reduced Mana is high enough (lvl 16, I think) to run the full 4 aura stack.. This should be somewhere around lvl 60.

more to come (?)

Gameplay footage
www.twitch.tv/gcdhack
IGN : asdfman
Last edited by asdfman on Apr 23, 2013, 4:59:46 PM
why u no link to the actual build
"
Mirham wrote:
why u no link to the actual build

the links are there, take another look!
Minor suggestion: (For the build versions without the Fitness node) take one 8% hp node from near Templar starting area and one 8% node near Divine Toughness and drop them into the 8% node and the Fitness node near Zealot's Oath. It's not much, but it's 2% hp and 20 more str at the same level.

I tried to make a CI-based Aegis Aurora build, it was plausible - but the gear requirement I had to meet in order to sustain the mana cost of Freezing Pulse was through the roof, so high that I could've probably used a max level Arctic Armour while running had I succeeded in that endeavor.

Having given up on that I started pursuing a build similar to yours - some minor differences, but mainly the same as your no-center build path with IR - and I love it so far.

It's got a solid damage output with EK and Bear Traps along with extremely good defenses - can't wait to get my character to 66~ for the Aegis and sufficient armor to use it properly.

Thanks for the gameplay videos - they've given me something to look forward to! :D

Edit: Almost forgot - but have you tried Life Leech on Tempest with Iron Will? It's pretty sweet, it's like a lesser version of what Aegis Aurora does for you, and you can run it simultaneously for some added safety - it does require a 2pt investment for 5% reduced mana reserved though if you want to use 4 auras.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it.
Last edited by Aragashia on Apr 22, 2013, 3:25:23 AM
Your IR no Center build gives 36% to block.

...when going through the center, you leave out Shield mastery below duelist, and end with 26% to block...and you use more points.

...Also, the % life is kind of low for an EK build.

---I personally love the %life the center gives, and don't forget that when going from Mar start to the center, you pass two 2% block passives under templar.(Save the 4 points for the 4% block left of the Duelist END charge.)

-Center
-No IR
-299% life
-36% Block

This is my 109 Point 72% Block Righteous Fire Mar...Only lvl 60 atm.
Last edited by Epsilon2012 on Apr 22, 2013, 4:31:26 AM
oops double post
Last edited by asdfman on Apr 22, 2013, 10:21:17 AM
I'll get those builds fixed asap, obviously you do want the fitness node and the duelist block nodes, just me being careless

Very good point about the 2x 2% block on the way to the center though, that is most certainly more efficient. I completely overlooked that when I made the build at 2AM.

EDIT: Okay, I think I've fixed everything now. The center/no center part got removed since it's pretty obvious you want to go through the center if you're doing a basic no IR/AA build and not go through the center otherwise. Why? You'd need level 97 to max out everything in a IR+center build, it's completely unrealistic and it will be pretty horrible when you're lvl 70-80. Added your idea of linking Tempest Shield as well.

Please point out if you find any more crazy stuff, thanks.
Last edited by asdfman on Apr 22, 2013, 10:51:57 AM
Hi,

did you make any changes after the patch? How are the builds now? What do you think about Ek atm?

greets beutel
Last edited by beuteltier on Jun 7, 2013, 3:46:47 PM
push

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info