So, let me get this straight..

Hey,

Started playing a couple of days ago, loving it so far. I have a question about the class system, though. So the only difference between classes is where they start in the passive skill matrix? Sure, there is also the relatively insignificant difference in starting attributes, and slight differences in hp/mana gain when leveling up I presume?

Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Also, that said - I'd like to make an elemental archer and I started a ranger to that end. It looks like I could have made a shadow and after a couple of dozen skill points the builds would look identical for all intents and purposes. The only difference is the cosmetic choice between a female and male avatar.

Or am I missing something here?
Nope, you're correct on all points.
You are missing one thing. Class also effects skill gems you are offered as quest rewards. This can be a big factor or a small factor depending on the build you are going for. As in your example it does not really matter since shadow gets a lot of ranged skill choices as well. But to other plans it can be a big factor.
Alright, thanks. That's interesting.

Hope it doesn't become too easy to respec.
It doesn't. Some people call for a full respec (usually as a cash shop item -- don't see that happening in a hurry), but to be honest, it's almost completely against what GGG intend for this game. You are meant to commit to a build; they give you the skill 'tree' planner on this site for precisely that reason.

That said, if you do want to make off-class builds (I have...just over 20 now), I recommend picking something that doesn't rely overly on skills, and then stashing the skill rewards from that character for another planned build.

Also, if you want to get lots of gems quickly, you can always run three of each class to town and get all the different rewards, stash them up and build your off-classes characters from there.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Also remember - you can't link through character hubs. So it might take 5 points to get a particular skill with a ranger, and 25 points to get the same skill with a shadow. It's all about getting the skills you want with the least wasted nodes.
Kilts for Templars <tm> - Our mission is to replace the ancient Greek toga worn by the Templar with a kilt. It fits the theme of Wraeclast better, and it fits the voice of the Templar.
"
WippitGuud wrote:
Also remember - you can't link through character hubs. So it might take 5 points to get a particular skill with a ranger, and 25 points to get the same skill with a shadow. It's all about getting the skills you want with the least wasted nodes.

^ this and its why I love this game. I have found thinking a lot about what class to make what build and calculating how many points it takes to get to key nodes for said build. Often times there is a trade off. Less points to get to this but more to get to that and you have to give it some serious thought.

The days of dumbed down gaming are over for me.
Last edited by Stome on Jun 3, 2012, 7:17:23 AM
"
Stome wrote:
You are missing one thing. Class also effects skill gems you are offered as quest rewards. This can be a big factor or a small factor depending on the build you are going for. As in your example it does not really matter since shadow gets a lot of ranged skill choices as well. But to other plans it can be a big factor.

Also keep in mind you can also get skill gems from leveling other characters and storing what gems they get in your stash, which is universal across your characters (within the same league). So it's not totally limited on how you obtain them.

You can also do the drop trade method with other players but that can be risky, though GGG is implementing a trade window for player to player trades in upcoming patches.

So yea you start at different arenas of the passive skill tree but you also can obtain the gems you need for a build through a variety of means.
Also something a lot of people might forget, that the starting stats are different. nothing shocking, but noticeable in the first few levels:

Marauder: 30 STR, 14 DEX, 14 INT
Ranger: 14 STR, 30 DEX, 14 INT
Witch: 14 STR, 14 DEX, 30 INT
Duelist: 22 STR, 22 DEX, 14 INT
Templar: 22 STR, 14 DEX, 22 INT
Dex/Int: 14 STR, 22 DEX, 22 INT
Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
"
Encomium wrote:

Sure, there is also the relatively insignificant difference in starting attributes, and slight differences in hp/mana gain when leveling up I presume?

Are there differences in hp/mp gains per level based on class?

Edit -- From the Mechanics thread:

Life/mana per level
All classes begin with the same base stats, and gain the same amount per level:

50 life, +6 per level
40 mana, +4 per level
50 evasion, +3 per level (including level 1)
IGN Astramor
Last edited by Astramor on Jun 3, 2012, 11:51:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info