Newcomer: On Builds and skill gem reliabilty

Hello all. I'm quite new to this game and only played during the last public stress weekend. I have a question on builds and gems, and specifically how to reliable make a certain build.

First, I like this system of skill gems and web of passive skills, since it allows for some decent multi-classing. However, it seems to me that the random dropping of skill gems makes it harder to effectively create builds.

For example, comparing to Diablo 2; when you level up, you gain skill point, and invest them in the skills you need. Of course, in PoE, you can also choose which skills you want by picking which gems to use, but these are random drops (or quest rewards), making it a game of chance whether or not you get the skills you need/want. Of course, player trading could lessen the problem, but there is still some element of chance left.
Last edited by Harath on Jun 3, 2012, 2:55:57 PM
You get most to all gems from Questrewards.
Its just a Question of "when/what time" you get them.
You can beat the game with non-quality gems.
If you want gems with quality, yes sou´ll need to find&trade them.
Make it a tiny element of chance and it will fit better.

Now in a Ladder-Rush envoirment, this tiny element of finding the correct Skillgem for your playstyle, makes the whole war more entertaining.
But that doesn´t mean that you will be the only person with the luck to find "his fitting skillgem".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Could it be possible to start the game off with your choice of a low tier gem nothing OP but a wider range of gems like I started a dueler and have not found a blue gem yet lvl 10 but so you could start off on the right track so to say?
I have to disagree with Lachdanan. I feel there's a huge element of chance when it comes to aquiring skill gems. Especially, your first go or if you're trying to build a little out of the norm.

I was also under the assumption that not all gems, could be acquired from quest rewards. Some are only drops. Even if this isnt the case, trying to get Dex gems for a witch, for example, is going to take a bit of time and luck.
"A tool knows exactly how it is meant to be handled, while the user of the tool can only have an approximate idea." -Milan Kundera
So I see what you are saying about the skill gems and their drop rate as you level. But because your skill gems level up themselves over time the only reason that you yourself level is so you can move along the passive tree. In short your build should be defined by the passive skills you use and not what gems you have at the moment.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to always tell the difference.
Last edited by Silva on Jun 3, 2012, 1:22:21 PM
In response to Silva, I was mostly thinking on combining specific gems and a passive skill path that mesh very well together. With a little planning, one should be able to create a powerful and reliable character. Going through the passive skill tree isn't all that hard then, but if you lack the appropriate gems, things will be a lot harder.
Last edited by Harath on Jun 3, 2012, 2:55:39 PM
You can always make extra characters to get gems. The hardest part is learning what class offer what gems for what quest.
I disagree with Harath. You need to consider gems, the skill tree and equipment (for sockets also) when building the character.
ie: rapid fire, crit chance bow ranger with lightning arrow skill gem.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"
Crackerblk wrote:
I have to disagree with Lachdanan. I feel there's a huge element of chance when it comes to aquiring skill gems. Especially, your first go or if you're trying to build a little out of the norm.

I was also under the assumption that not all gems, could be acquired from quest rewards. Some are only drops. Even if this isnt the case, trying to get Dex gems for a witch, for example, is going to take a bit of time and luck.

I've gotten like five dex gems from drops and one or two int gems, lol (and I'm a witch).
"
DDSSEE wrote:
I've gotten like five dex gems from drops and one or two int gems, lol (and I'm a witch).

And there is your element of chance....

Start another witch and see if the results are not different. You might even have 5 more dex gems drop, but they will not be the same skills or will drop 20 levels later than your last go around.

The need for adaptation is what keeps PoE fresh for me. I've been through 3-4 wipes and I always start with a staff-wielding, curse templar, in mind. The end results have yet to be the same.
"A tool knows exactly how it is meant to be handled, while the user of the tool can only have an approximate idea." -Milan Kundera

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info