[Long] Four grave problems with Cut Throat, and how to fix them.

little bump (will answer the latest comments when I find some time).
A small addition from me:

Back in the days of D1 we had them player killers roaming randomly in the games. An annoyance to some, part of the game to others. One little thought that comes to me from that experience is connected to level disparity issue.

Once I was grinding hell, trying to accomplish one of my first diablo kills online, I was quite close to achieving it but it was a rough way since I was never a pro level player. Other players joined in or left randomly all the times, so I didn't pay too much attention to them. And there he was, a sorcerer named The.end... with a much higher level than mine, he just casually massacred me in a split second causing some considerable losses (I had no idea about raymond's trainer back then). I got really pissed about it, but what could I do? Nothing, PKs happened, nobody cared. To cut the long story short I remembered that guy and eventually I got my char levelled and buffed to a really respectable level after a few months. I started tracking him down, game after game and finally found him, he was still at approximately same level as he was, casually clearing the caves. I ran straight to him and pulverised him to bloody pieces in a manner of seconds, ressurected him and cut down again to get the message through. "do you remember me?" I asked. Obviously he didn't, he was dumbfounded and probably never really realised what the hell was all that about. But it was a massive accomplishment for me.

The moral of this story is as following. I still remember the guy's nickname even though I forgot mine (come on, it was like 15 years ago) but I carried that pixelated ear of his in the inventory of every other char I played since that day (transferred via raymond). That sense of quest for vengenance, final satisfaction and a nice story to remember - could it be possible without that level disparity that was the driving force for me to grind my char like if that other player was a true endboss of this game?
Obviously such thing would be bloody hard to achieve if we had hordes of high level player killers killing you on a daily basis but it's a detail that in my opinion should be taken into consideration. But then again apart from brief moment with D2 I never played an online rpg until PoE so much could have changed.

Apologies if this came out as an attempted oldfag rant not really contributing to the whole subject, but in my small experience it was a significant thing.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
John, what is important to remember is that in D1 and 2 the entire game was basically an "instance" that could be joined and you could only PvP if you chose to join a PvP game or created one.

Here I really don't see what fun or challenge CT league play will be if it's simply a matter of scrolling through the WP list, ctrl-clicking until you find a potential victim (or trap?). Or maybe town camping?

Here's to hoping they come up with some sort of CT modes that involve respawning mobs, challenging maps, goals or obstacles etc.
"
A small addition from me:

Back in the days of D1 we had them player killers roaming randomly in the games. An annoyance to some, part of the game to others. One little thought that comes to me from that experience is connected to level disparity issue.

Once I was grinding hell, trying to accomplish one of my first diablo kills online, I was quite close to achieving it but it was a rough way since I was never a pro level player. Other players joined in or left randomly all the times, so I didn't pay too much attention to them. And there he was, a sorcerer named The.end... with a much higher level than mine, he just casually massacred me in a split second causing some considerable losses (I had no idea about raymond's trainer back then). I got really pissed about it, but what could I do? Nothing, PKs happened, nobody cared. To cut the long story short I remembered that guy and eventually I got my char levelled and buffed to a really respectable level after a few months. I started tracking him down, game after game and finally found him, he was still at approximately same level as he was, casually clearing the caves. I ran straight to him and pulverised him to bloody pieces in a manner of seconds, ressurected him and cut down again to get the message through. "do you remember me?" I asked. Obviously he didn't, he was dumbfounded and probably never really realised what the hell was all that about. But it was a massive accomplishment for me.

The moral of this story is as following. I still remember the guy's nickname even though I forgot mine (come on, it was like 15 years ago) but I carried that pixelated ear of his in the inventory of every other char I played since that day (transferred via raymond). That sense of quest for vengenance, final satisfaction and a nice story to remember - could it be possible without that level disparity that was the driving force for me to grind my char like if that other player was a true endboss of this game?
Obviously such thing would be bloody hard to achieve if we had hordes of high level player killers killing you on a daily basis but it's a detail that in my opinion should be taken into consideration. But then again apart from brief moment with D2 I never played an online rpg until PoE so much could have changed.

Apologies if this came out as an attempted oldfag rant not really contributing to the whole subject, but in my small experience it was a significant thing.

This is aspect of open pvp that is fun which i liked in early Tibia.
What is concerning me is that you could be repeatedly killed without being able to get your gear back or any experience.. basically unable to play.
This isue need to be fixed.Perhaps by ability to make your instance private for like 15 minutes after you have been PKed.
I have runes, potions and total disregard of public safety.
Last edited by pod11 on Jun 20, 2012, 4:09:31 AM
"
aurisacra wrote:
you could only PvP if you chose to join a PvP game or created one.

Really? That was in D1? Maybe in some later patches, I played roughly between 1.03 and 1.08, I admit it was a long time ago, but for the life of me I could swear that such feature was first in D2. But then again I was but a teenager so I could have simply missed that option somehow.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
"
pod11 wrote:
Perhaps by ability to make your instance private for like 15 minutes after you have been PKed.
Sounds pretty reasonable. At the least, just prevent the person/team that killed you from joining for a while.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
I don't have much to add other than my support of the OP. This is not a mode I was originally interested in playing, but if GGG does the mode justice I could find myself very interested for a good long time after the game's release.

And we all know that more long term players will mean more players making use of the microtransaction shop, which means more success for GGG and ultimately more content for PoE.
Anyone know if there is more cutthroat testing coming up? I'm really interested in this mode and agree with much of what the OP is saying in general. I'd like to offer feedback but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info