One thing i noticed while watching PoE gameplay

This is probably said before but i want to discuss some issues that i have discovered (even tho i am not a beta tester).

The combat is a bit slow, sluggish might i add. It has more to do with how your character swings a sword and it doesn't feel right especially when you compare it to D3. Not saying D3 is a better game but the one thing they did get right is the flow of combat and how your character uses his skill. All this game needs is to make attack animations and spell usage much more quick and impactful.
Last edited by Futtbucker on May 30, 2012, 6:43:02 AM
I feel as though PoEs combat lacks "weight" in torchlight and diablo when you kill something with a powerful blow, they dont just keel over and die, they fly apart.
It is true that D3 and Torchlight 2 have an immediate fluidity to combat that Path of Exile does not. Although I feel that changes dramatically once you start getting more skills and passives, I think that the current pace of combat is a throwback to the game's D1/D2 roots. I can't say whether or not this is a good thing as I admittedly take it as it is. I do believe PoE errs in its occasional unswerving dedication to certain residual elements of the ARPG, but I'm not sure combat pace is one of them. You start weak in Path of Exile. Very weak. As you should. This is not the case with the other two games -- I never once felt, even at first, that my character in D3 or TL2 was as desperate and lost as an Exile. Which is fair enough; each game has its own idea of a 'hero'. By the time an Exile is level 25 or 30, however, he or she no longer resembles the helpless, naked outcast that woke up on the beach in a storm...and the combat is most definitely more fluid, or at least much quicker and satisfying.

I actually disagree with the above command regarding weight. The 'sluggishness' to the combat and the character's movements to me add weight rather than take it away. Indeed, when you bring ragdoll physics into play, you're essential scoffing at the idea of weight for the sake of exaggerated death animations and impressive results from equally impressive skills. If anything, I feel that takes away from the feeling of weight for all parties involved -- ragdoll physics assume the player/character is so much heavier and stronger than the enemies. I don't feel that is the case with Path of Exile.

In fact, the only thing that differentiates the player from the enemy npcs, from what I can tell at a story level, is the ability to equip the skill gems unique to Wraeclast...

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
ND1Razor wrote:
I feel as though PoEs combat lacks "weight" in torchlight and diablo when you kill something with a powerful blow, they dont just keel over and die, they fly apart.

I like the keeling over and dying. Try using Sweep while standing in the center of a crowd of mobs. What a pretty crop circle they make! =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
This is a big issue for me too, though it won't stop me from playing but I very much would like to see this changed/fixed. Combat lacks "weight" you said that right.
Last edited by felyx on May 30, 2012, 7:56:32 AM
"
Raycheetah wrote:

I like the keeling over and dying. Try using Sweep while standing in the center of a crowd of mobs. What a pretty crop circle they make! =^[.]^=

One of the tooltips on the loading screen says something to the effect of 'don't let yourself get surrounded.'

My leap-slamming, sweeping staff Witch begs to differ...;)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on May 30, 2012, 8:02:23 AM
"
"
Raycheetah wrote:

One of the tooltips on the loading screen says something to the effect of 'don't let yourself get surrounded.'

My leap-slamming, sweeping staff Witch begs to differ...;)

I prefer to think of it as "penetrating the ranks of the enemy." =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
I would think its something you can buy in the cosmetic shop later. I think you'll be able to buy more gore when enemies dies, maybe they will add more stuff like that
Above content may contain traces of nonsense.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
Last edited by wakko on May 30, 2012, 8:23:34 AM
"
Russell wrote:
more blood will be coming sometime in the next 3 months I think. Just need a piece of tech then I can finally upgrade the blood hit effects. This patch coming you will get a bit of your cravings satisfied with the new crit effects. They are pretty gorey : 3

Yes you can actually tell when your are getting a crit now.
"
miljan wrote:
"
Russell wrote:
more blood will be coming sometime in the next 3 months I think. Just need a piece of tech then I can finally upgrade the blood hit effects. This patch coming you will get a bit of your cravings satisfied with the new crit effects. They are pretty gorey : 3

Yes you can actually tell when your are getting a crit now.

LIKE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info