The tankiest PvP build

PoB: https://poe.ninja/pob/aS4

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DdofxcjxWo

In short the build gets tons of hp, mitigation, recovery, and some damage avoidance. The biggest thing in the whole build is Progenesis with 168% increased flask effect, which triples the effective life of the build, paired with a lot of life recoup to oversustain the life loss over time from it.
Excess life recoup alone can sustain a lot of damage, but being over 4 seconds it is a slow mechanic that is still weak to huge burst damage. In the previous 3.20 patch for instant recovery I only had the 6% life recovered per flask used from Pathfinder, and an exotic combination of the benched 15% of life leech from damage taken mod on flask and Legacy Vinktar, which makes ALL life leech instant, including that mod, for a total of 16% life recovered instantly.
In the current 3.21 patch Bloodnotch grants the most recovery, paired with the ES mastery every hit stuns, and because Progenesis already takes 67% of life loss from hits over time, the remaining 33% of hit damage taken instantly is fully covered by any roll Bloodnotch, because 40 to 60% of hit damage is recovered instantly, so normally only oneshots can kill the build.
More layers that help against oneshots are capped spell suppression, Immortal Call, Berserk, Arctic Armour, and Ruby flasks, while also taking other damages types as fire.
The life loss over time from Progenesis is not damage over time, so you cannot mitigate it by Lethe Shade and such. The servers run at a fixed 33 ticks per second, and each tick the healing effects are calculated first, then the life loss from Progenesis is substracted, this is very similar to when you run Righteous Fire or Blood Rage, and you always miss a tiny bit of life. When you take insane amounts of damage that doesn't oneshot you, it is possible for the accumulated life loss to bring your life so low each tick, that at a point you die from the combination of that and the hit damage you still take instantly. Currently the meta explody totem builds from Crucible league is one of the few things that has enough damage to do this. Against high burst damage opponents it is still somewhat worth to have the essence crafted fire avoidance mods, and Elusive from Withering Step. If you are wondering how GGNoobs compares, it is a lot weaker against burst damage because the lack of mitigation and instant recovery.
Any form of stat-based flask charge generation is disabled in most PvP arenas, Sarn Arena being the only exception, so this is where I usually play the build. Without flasks GGNoobs is still better against oneshots, but the recovery from Bloodnotch and recoup is still better in other cases.
The biggest game in PvP is trying to remove the most resist from your opponent, and as a tank trying to prevent that, and this rabbit hole goes really deep. Since ages players have access to tons of Elemental penetration, and the best way to counter that is to take damage as chaos damage by the Divine Flesh keystone, or another element that you can mitigate better. DPS characters are aware of that, and they are trying to cover it by rare sources of chaos penetration, or applying wither.
The merge of 3.20 brought a game changer, the Original Sin to standard, which can be only countered by CI or the templar-exclusive ascendancy notable Searing Purity only available from the Forbidden jewels.
By moving from pathfinder to templar I avoid taking 4 times the damage from anyone owning the ring, but I lose automatic flask generation, and flask charge mods, which I make up by using The Traitor keystone, but the biggest thing is losing 30% flask effect, plus they removed 10% from the tree in 3.21, which means Progenesis mitigating only 67% of damage, instead of 76% that I had with 208% flask effect before, or losing 33% of effective hp. Furthermore ruby flasks only have 58% less fire damage taken instead of 70%. However enemies dealing chaos damage, can still use Fire and Lightning penetration when you use Searing Purity. Original Sin has a debuff icon, so if you don't see it, and they are not withering you, it is still worth to swap to get Mahuxotl shield for Divine Flesh.
Keep in mind "damage taken as" sources dont chain, if you already altered their damage from chaos to elemental, using Divine Flesh on top will not alter it back, so that shield is still always safe to use.
Smart opponents will realise it is better to stay elemental, but you have answer for everything. Doryani users setting your lightning resist to -200%? Just take it as fire. Apparent cold damage dealers? Heat it up. Pure fire damage dealers? Just mitigate it, or add +1k to your life.
If someone doesn't bother to do the Block chance reduction gem recipe, you can just remove most of their damage with block.
You must surely fall over to damage over time right? just swap in Indigon and an Enduring mana flask, or a Life flask on top, and even the most broken Dots are dealt with.
Physical damage is not much of a thread, haven't met anybody that needed specific swaps to handle, but not many options exists, because phys reduction can be overwhelmed completely, so really the only counter is taking phys as elemental/chaos, so a Taste of Hate perfectly covers it.
Life regeneration from inquisitor consecrated ground has not much effect on your tankyness, so you can convert it to Rage regen and activate Berserk to take 20% less damage.
The solaris pantheon takes care of most critical damage, except for oneshot crits, but the easy answer is Balance of Terror jewel, you just have to cast Enfeeble manually, or if you are getting heavily cursed, even having a lot of reduction, you can cast Despair for curse immunity. Shock immunity can be achieved from flasks most comfortably, Tempest Shield if you are using Vinktar, or the jewel and casting conductivity. The jewel still triggers the immunities, even if you cast it without a target.
Progenesis only applies to red life, so any additional layers you may have, mana, ES, or ward are much less worth to scale.
In the 3.20 patch me and my friends Empyrian and Bazukatank made the animated guardian, Bob, who deals 100 Billion DPS, and I PvPd it from this tank build. I was able to tank it for quite a while, with a combination of Crit immunity, overcapped resists so their curses didn't affect me, and some sneaky block, but as there was not enough instant life recovery available then, they eventually got me.
While triggered movements skills usually help prevent some damage, I choose to not use them, because running away is not a tanking strategy.
Even tho I'm on standard league I only have a few legacy stats in key positions, such as 4% higher life on rings than normally possible, using Conqueror's Potency jewel for higher mitigation, Arctic Armour enchant, and the immunity jewel, which can still has a chance to go core I think. The big legacies like Vinktar and Rumi doesn't help avoid the threats that kill the character, and my Watcher's eye is also redundant since Bloodnotch provides most of the recovery the build needs.
There are a few new Vaal Skills that have potential to push tankyness further, but they require a lot of time or swaps to pull off, and very situational.
Let me know if you want to PvP me @Markusz, preferably in standard league Sarn arena, but I can also accept 1v1s, but my flasks are very limited duration there.
IGN: Márkusz
My builds: thread/1600072
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Last edited by Márkusz on Apr 30, 2023, 5:53:20 AM
Last bumped on May 13, 2023, 3:24:19 PM
great job!
Strong work! And thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience, as always. GG Markusz!
🎈🤡LEGACY MINER & TRAPPER MIRROR SERVICE: 1713980🤡🎈
🎈🤡ETERNAL SUPPORTER UNIQUE: KAOM'S SPIRIT🎈Designer: IronVsWild🤡🎈
🎈🤡ETERNAL SUPPORTER SINCE APRIL 2012🤡🎈
🎈🤡IGN: CLOWNPOWDER & CLOWNLIVESMATTER🤡🎈
LOGIN
Her beauty did not fade
her humanity did not survive.
Last edited by aLamew on May 1, 2023, 4:23:30 PM
BTW, with bloodnotch and legacy vinktar and 15% leech at 168% flask effect you don't need neither progenesis nor petrified blood.
This is exact 100% life recovered from a stunning hit, so no recoup is needed, you just have to survive the hit.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on May 13, 2023, 8:30:06 AM
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
BTW, with bloodnotch and legacy vinktar and 15% leech at 168% flask effect you don't need neither progenesis nor petrified blood.
This is exact 100% life recovered from a stunning hit, so no recoup is needed, you just have to survive the hit.

that is wrong on so many levels

did you see my video? do you see all those hits with oneshot potential? how would recovery help against oneshots, think about it

and progenesis is a must have no matter what, and the accumulated life loss is a problem that comes with it

instant leech is capped at 10% of max hp, so scaling flask effect doesnt do much for the leech mod
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Didn't know an instant leech is capped anyhow. (This mechanics is such a made up mess)
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on May 13, 2023, 6:41:53 AM
the whole game is made up, its designed to be complex, thats why we still play it
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info