why PoE is dying

"
bauermayers wrote:

You can make as many excuses as you want. Just look at their track record for the last, what, 4 years? What was the last acclaimed game that came out from whatever that company is now?

Sorry, I don't want to make you come back 2 decades or so. What was their last release that wasn't completely trashed by fans and critics alike? Yep... apparently you even forgot Blizzcon 2019, Immortal and that great "don't you guys have cellphones" moment.

And, again, I wish I could see your faces the moment reality hits you in the face. Your posts about that game are nothing but wishful thinking.

Yeah it's hard to believe Blizzard is still in business with all those IP failures...oh wait. Diablo Immortal, what a total failure. /s I've never played it but apparently people actually did have phones.

Anyways I don't have to make excuses, proclamations, or guesses. D4 is going to be out very soon. The results will speak for themselevs. Maybe D4 crashes and burns, but I doubt it.

Edit: oh and I just checked the DI numbers, jesus christ lol. Mobile games are ridiculous cash cows. Seriously wtf?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 18, 2023, 2:40:21 PM
You didn't know mobile games were cash cows? wtf?
Spoiler
hoho
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Last edited by xPiranha on May 18, 2023, 2:45:15 PM
"
xPiranha wrote:
You didn't know mobile games were cash cows? wtf?
Spoiler
hoho

Thats fair, yes I suppose I did, but I guess I wasn't expecting the many hundreds of millions for DI in this amount of time...idk it was just way more than I had expected.

When I think of Candy Crush or Genshin I guess I didn't lump in DI when I should have.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Edit: oh and I just checked the DI numbers, jesus christ lol. Mobile games are ridiculous cash cows. Seriously wtf?

Yeah, seem to remember someone claiming that the mobile gaming market is bigger than the PC and console market combined. It goes without saying that gaming companies are trying to get their piece of the pie, including Blizzard and GGG. And apparently "Puzzle And Dragons" is the best one, as it tops your favorite quality metric: Revenue/sale numbers.

I personally struggle to see how you can view DI as a "positive" in the gaming scene, with its monetization model, P2W structure and whale-fishing fondation. In mye eyes, it's a blatant cash-grab, using a popular IP. You haven't even tried it, and still you use it as an example that Blizzard still makes "quality"? If GGG turned PoE into that shit, you would be here crtitizising the hell out of it, I'm sure. Hell, they didn't even care enough to make the damn game themselves.

Is DI an example that Blizzard know what they're doing in terms of making money, through Las Vegas psychology? Of course. Is it a good example that Blizzard can make good, solid, quality games? Not really. Well, try it, make up your own mind. I did. It's crap.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on May 18, 2023, 3:10:16 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Yeah, seem to remember someone claiming that the mobile gaming market is bigger than the PC and console market combined. It goes without saying that gaming companies are trying to get their piece of the pie, including Blizzard and GGG. And apparently "Puzzle And Dragons" is the best one, as it tops your favorite quality metric: Revenue/sale numbers.

I personally struggle to see how you can view DI as a "positive" in the gaming scene, with its monetization model, P2W structure and whale-fishing fondation. In mye eyes, it's a blatant cash-grab, using a popular IP. You haven't even tried it, and still you use it as an example that Blizzard still makes "quality"? If GGG turned PoE into that shit, you would be here crtitizising the hell out of it, I'm sure.

Is DI an example that Blizzard know what they're doing in terms of making money, through Las Vegas psychology? Of course. Is it a good example that Blizzard can make good, solid, quality games? Not really. Well, try it, make up your own mind. I did. It's crap.

I don't recall saying anything about the mobile market? I don't play a single mobile game, and I haven't kept up on any DI news (obviously based on my other posts). I did say recently that I was surprised to learn the console market was bigger than the PC market, but again, no recollection on Mobile game commentary. Maybe you were referring to someone else, or maybe I simply don't remember saying something. Either is possible.

I also don't claim to view the mobile market as a binary positive or negative, but it does exist, with clear consumer demand in varying degrees.

It's certainly not my cup of tea, and again I don't play any mobile games, but how could you not frame what DI is doing as a successful IP for Blizzard? I don't even know what quality has to do with it really, as doesn't that exist in the eye of the beholder? I think mobile games suck, maybe you do too, but wow, we are absolutely in the minority here.

Edit: and when PoE mobile does come out, and it is coming, I sure as hell will be pointing out the hypocrisy should it rear it's face here. Not so much that is isn't a good business decision, because it is, but on what the reaction is by the PoE/GGG fan, customer, player in response.
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 18, 2023, 3:24:28 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Yeah it's hard to believe Blizzard is still in business with all those IP failures...oh wait. Diablo Immortal, what a total failure. /s I've never played it but apparently people actually did have phones.

So, you're nothing but a Blizz apologist. You know damn well I'm not talking about sales.

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Anyways I don't have to make excuses, proclamations, or guesses. D4 is going to be out very soon.

ok

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

The results will speak for themselevs. Maybe D4 crashes and burns, but I doubt it.

"
bauermayers wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

So, you're nothing but a Blizz apologist. You know damn well I'm not talking about sales.

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Anyways I don't have to make excuses, proclamations, or guesses. D4 is going to be out very soon.

ok

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

The results will speak for themselevs. Maybe D4 crashes and burns, but I doubt it.

I'm honestly not really sure what you are getting at? Player "x" can love DI, or any Blizzard game, and Player "y" can hate everything about it. What mental gymnastics do you have to go through to come to the conclusion that one players opinion, or view, is more valid than the other?

In this case, it's very clear some people are enjoying DI. More than I would have guessed, but hey, that's the mobile market for you apparently. If you don't like it ok, but don't be the guy that thinks their opinion invalidates the other.

As for D4, idk what to tell you. Either it will be good and do well or it won't. That's about as generic a statement as you can get. If you still have issue with that, that's on you, not me.
- Abraham Lincoln
I love how people on this forum sometimes don't comprehend how much money diablo 3/ros/immortal made.

or just how almost every Blizzard game sold millions of millions copies. Like we are talking minecraft level of copies sold.

Hell diablo 2 resurrected or whatever will have more market impact than poe will ever have. Poe is a niche game and that is fine, but it sure needs a lot of design love or it will lose players to its strange and old design philosophies. A lot of people tend to blame Chris, but he is just the smug face of the company to the players. A lot of dev time is spent pissing off players. Many patch notes seem to target certain groups. chris is not responsible for that.

They knew ruthless was not going to be received well. And they just keep pushing it. If ruthless is the future of poe, ain't very many people that will want it.
Last edited by roundishcap on May 19, 2023, 10:29:25 AM
"
Nulledout wrote:
PoE is dying because 5 of the last 7 seasons have been an unbalanced mess that are unfun to play.

Right, that's why Crucible was the most successful launch they've ever had and has the highest player retention too. PoE has been consistently growing and will likely get another upsurge after exile con announcements regarding poe 2.

I don't think it'll ever have blizzard game numbers but it doesn't need to. For a niche game designed around pretty a hardcore player base it is massively successful.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
I don't recall saying anything about the mobile market? I don't play a single mobile game, and I haven't kept up on any DI news (obviously based on my other posts). I did say recently that I was surprised to learn the console market was bigger than the PC market, but again, no recollection on Mobile game commentary. Maybe you were referring to someone else, or maybe I simply don't remember saying something. Either is possible.

I also don't claim to view the mobile market as a binary positive or negative, but it does exist, with clear consumer demand in varying degrees.

It's certainly not my cup of tea, and again I don't play any mobile games, but how could you not frame what DI is doing as a successful IP for Blizzard? I don't even know what quality has to do with it really, as doesn't that exist in the eye of the beholder? I think mobile games suck, maybe you do too, but wow, we are absolutely in the minority here.

Edit: and when PoE mobile does come out, and it is coming, I sure as hell will be pointing out the hypocrisy should it rear it's face here. Not so much that is isn't a good business decision, because it is, but on what the reaction is by the PoE/GGG fan, customer, player in response.

Yeah, no, the quote regarding the size of the mobile market wasn't a dab at you, but there was a link floating around in here a while back showing how huge it really is.

Why isn't it your cup of tea? It's an ARPG in the Diablo IP with a "PC port" so you can play on your PC 'like' any other ARPG.

No one is denying that DI is an economical success (I think/hope). They would have to fail HARD to not make money off of a game solely designed to make as much money as they can, through every corner of the game. What I see a lot of people saying, is that DI is crap, a cash-grab, a failure towards the long time fans of the IP and so on. You know, actual opinions, often based on experience/actually trying the game.

People/companies can turn bad products, or even scams, into economical successes. You don't really seem to have opinions. "It's an economical success, so any negative opinion regarding gameplay, mechanics and monetization are wrong"?

And people aren't blaming Blizzard for making money. They are criticizing what is getting lost in the process of just making money. Sure, it's more signs of the times than Blizzard being the devil. But it's so clear in Blizzard's case. Star Craft 3? Would it make money? Of course, but it would probably not make enough money. Probably the same with a new Warcraft game. The same with D2 being harder and deeper than D3 and D4.

It's not about not understanding. I unnderstand perfectly well why every game Blizzard makes is designed from the ground up to reach as many players as possible, through making them easy/shallow/easy-to-digest. It's about liking it based on your preferences. And for a lot of people with a history of loving the "good, old" Blizzard games where making a VERY GOOD experience for less people seemed more important than making a "good enough" experience for more people, the outcome(s) = bad, no matter the success.

But we've had this discussion a million times.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info