The Forbidden Sanctum Talent Competition

Good Move about AI art, GG GGG.

WOuld be better to demand at least 2 wip for illustrations *sketch + first layers* but still good move.

Forum pvp
please win something this time Prayge

Reserved
In order to get rid of clearspeed meta cap global movement speed at 100% but make all skills instant so everything feels great.
thing is some of those ai generated images people are posting are so sick.

ive not rly been paying that close attention to this ai art explosion, i used to work as a digital illustrator a long time ago but its not something ive really bothered with in a long time from a work or even casual hobby perspective.

Im kind of glad cause where does this leave you as a digital artist now? theres always gonna be a need for human artists to create new visual ideas, but so much of the digital art space is going to be replaced by ai and i dont think anything can stop it, and maybe it shouldnt be stopped. ultimately what matters is the end product, the art, and if the art is amazing it cannot be denied.
It's exactly times like this that I wish I had artistic and creative gifts.
And I don't :D

Good luck to all competitors.
Let's go!
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
thing is some of those ai generated images people are posting are so sick.

ive not rly been paying that close attention to this ai art explosion, i used to work as a digital illustrator a long time ago but its not something ive really bothered with in a long time from a work or even casual hobby perspective.

Im kind of glad cause where does this leave you as a digital artist now? theres always gonna be a need for human artists to create new visual ideas, but so much of the digital art space is going to be replaced by ai and i dont think anything can stop it, and maybe it shouldnt be stopped. ultimately what matters is the end product, the art, and if the art is amazing it cannot be denied.

Main problem is that right now the AI just take people s work without permission and create new collage of it. If they credited the artist from where they took part of the image it would maybe be different. Other troublesome problem is that in order to create those images you need to pay a subscription (midjourney), so people are paying a discord who steal other people work and those AI thief are making money on the back of those artists..

Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Jan 9, 2023, 9:19:08 AM
"
lolozori wrote:

Main problem is that right now the AI just take people s work without permission and create new collage of it. If they credited the artist from where they took part of the image it would maybe be different. Other troublesome problem is that in order to create those images you need to pay a subscription (midjourney), so people are paying a discord who steal other people work and those AI thief are making money on the back of those artists..

ya i was aware that the programs are essentially just taking existing images and making an advanced form of collage of them. i wasnt aware that midjourney was a subscription thing, thats... problematic. i mean someone made a thing and should get paid for that work, but then its making art from other peoples images and whos paying them for their images? because the art coming out at the other end is good enough to challenge significantly talented work in the digital art space.

what a total mess.

one part of me thinks well its just mashing together existing images, and ur always gonna need humans to make new images, the source material, and just produce new ideas. but then i wonder how much of our own creativity is essentially taking a load of existing images in our heads we didnt create and just mashing them together to produce something 'new'?

what we are seeing is the tip of the iceberg right? these sort of programs are going to get better and better, and create abstractions further and further from the source images that will have increasing quality.

technology messed with the monetisation structure of music, and im gonna argue musics monetisation never really recovered. it never went back to how it was before or resolved itself to a health place, weve just had to adapt to a world where most recorded music is free to listen to. there was a time when u had to copy an inferior tape cassette in real time from an existing hard copy of an album to duplicate it without paying the artist. then you could just download it in a few hours from napster, and that was illegal and messy but freey. now its just on youtube, i own cds, i never play them, its quicker for me to turn my head to my other monitor and call the album up on youtube completely free than it is to even play the hard copy i own even if it was on my desk. i can just youtube to mp3 it too, no ones shutting down those websites because the music industry just doesnt care now, its basically given up.

what we are seeing here isnt just technology bypassing the monetisation model of an art form, its bypassing the creation of the art by the artists. theres already enough digital images in existence to fuel these things almost forever right? midjourney is now, napster and limewire were now once and then disappeared, but when they went music didnt go back to everyone buying cds, those programs were replaced with even easier forms of free distribution.

the genie is out of the bottle. metallica tried to fight napster, im guessing i can probably load up youtube right now and listen to everything metallica have ever recorded for free? regardless of what happens to midjourney i think the concept is an unstoppable train and however 'unfair' it seems, itll just keep getting more unfair, unaccountable and it will displace ever increasing amounts of digital artists.

the future of the majority of digital artists is probably going to be people who curate and refine art made by software and i dont think we have a say in it as a society, were just going to have to learn to live with it. and digital art is eventually gonna be what hangs on a lot of peoples walls too as screens become flatter and cheaper, youre gonna suggest a sort of painting you want to be in your picture frame today to alexa and shes gonna generate it on the spot for you then display it in seconds, thats going to replace you going and buying a canvas from a shop/auction for a lot of people.
gl everyone!
"
Myra9 wrote:
"
So how do you know if it's AI generated art? As far as I know there's absolutely no way of being certain.

I guess you could check the number of fingers and if edges line up but AI is getting better at this too.

I've seen other places request WIP pictures and/or original file extensions as proof if it's suspected to be AI art. I hope GGG does this as well because there are artists who have been affected due to their genuine art being wrongly labeled as AI art.

Please add a rule to post some minimum number of WiP pictures for any digital art. Even with the rule disqualifying AI generated images who is going to be checking the validity of thousands of entries? People will still submit those.

This will also eliminate people making collages and wallpapers with stolen art.
My Hideouts Thread | https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3289135 |
My Showcase | https://hideoutshowcase.com/viewprofile/RevanBane |
Hideout Community Discord | https://discord.gg/8McTXAKFbG |

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info