[3.23 Cold Conversion Blade Vortex Elementalist / Occultist (League Starter + League Finisher)

"
"
Lord_Bakaxan wrote:
Really enjoying this build, thank you! Only level 71 at the moment, but curious about switching away from Hrimsorrow gloves...seems like a big DPS loss. Wondering what I should have in place before making a switch. Go full Crit first and move off Elemental Overload? Thanks for any advice!

putting POB here in case you're curious.

https://pobb.in/-wAnXSHVBf6D

You won't want to switch away from Hrimsorrow for a very long time, the main reason to drop them would be to craft/buy an expensive pair of spell suppression gloves with some cold conversion.

The other way to get 100% conversion is Hatred Watcher's Eye (25-40%), Cold Mastery (40%) and unveiled prefix craft on gloves (up to 25%). It's not cheap, but this allows to add cold exposure and unnerve on hit implicits.
"
Zenlon wrote:
Would someone mind taking a look at my occultist? My damage isn't quite where I want it to be, and apart from leveling gems idk what I'm missing out on

If you post it in the discord "Build Discussion" channel someone (possibly me) will definitely take a look, there's also a great FAQ and other resources that have gotten a lot of people back on track.

https://discord.gg/NYHAJHty2n
So...I'm getting shredded in t14s and my witch gets struck in concrete half the time, barely able to walk? Am I just old and dumb or did I break something here? Think my defenses are ok for the content I'm doing, but the mobility is very rough with shield charge, and it seems like some damage type is basically one shotting me off of mobs?

https://pobb.in/ijZ1lqsQSjt1
Spoiler
"
"
PattyWin wrote:
Iam now level 98 and want to know how to improve my build.

Till now iam fail to kill uber elder and olroth!!!

Iam not sure what to do next:

1. cap my crit chance (POB says only 75% crit chance)
2. better weapon and/or shield (more crit chance maybe)
3. more armour?
4. blade timer correct
5. last 5% phys to cold conversion
6. unnatural instinct jewell

https://poe.ninja/pob/RzP

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"

Capping your crit chance should definitely be a priority. A diamond flask is a great option, and you should also look to improve your flask suffixes overall. Shock Immunity can be obtained from Charge Mastery, and you're already immune to freeze/chill thanks to Frigid Wake. I'd recommend trying to get a higher tier of crit chance, increased armour, and of course movement speed for your utility flask suffixes.

Another option to consider would be going for a Magebane Impossible Escape, taking the Reflexes notable, and switching your suppression mastery to the one that grants crit chance.

Lastly (regarding crit), a new Militant Faith that doesn't take away Breath of Rime could do a lot of work for you, since that notable provides a huge boost to brittle ground. The one you have now also takes away the herald notables, which are great options in the right circumstances further on down the line.

You're right that a better weapon or shield would be the best place to invest right now. You've got the build in a very solid place, but those two pieces could definitely stand to be upgraded before you start saving for an endgame belt, which is probably the next step you'll want to take. If you don't want to save for a headhunter, and do want to keep suppression, you'll definitely want to go all-in investing in your weapons and jewellery/jewels, since your suppression gear can't be improved by very much at this point. The other option is to ditch suppression and start adding awakened items to the build.

Your blade timer is totally fine, if anything you could drop a little bit of the cushion you currently have and see how that feels.

The last 5% conversion is more or less a luxury, but could be worth it at this point.

Unnatural Instinct is a pretty nice option, especially if you feel like you need to cap your chaos res for the content you're targeting.

One other thing I noticed is that it seems like you have both Doryani's Lesson and Life Leech on your Circle of Guilt. You could absolutely drop Doryani's as long as you use that ring, and spend those two points elsewhere. The rings in the POB you linked are different though, so keep Doryani's if those are the ones you're really running.

Uber Elder and Orloth are very similar in that they take advantage of one of our biggest weaknesses, which is lengthy immunity phases. The build handles most difficult content by either freezing it, and/or just killing it extremely fast, but both of those options are closed by those two bosses. For the Uber Elder I'd consider dropping Zealotry for Purity of Ice, or finding another way to get a little bit of max cold resistance. For Orloth, the best thing to do is just be super careful about the mods you take from the remnants. For once, the logic of "just avoid defensive mods" is reversed, and you do have to start respecting some of the deadlier offensive monster mods like Attack Speed, Crit, and Poison/Bleed.

Really great job overall, I think with these few tweaks you'll be ready to farm just about any content you like, and are well on your way to Headhunter/Mageblood gaming (if that's your goal).

your words are like the bible to believers. It helps me a lot !!!!

1. Buy a new militant faith and helped a lot. and i was always wondering why people on poe.ninja take the nodes on breath of rime and dont realize that iam using the wrong item ^^

2. put in a unnatural instinct

3. change my magebane and that helps too with crit chance

Now it feels much more better and the clearspeed is very good

"
Lord_Bakaxan wrote:
So...I'm getting shredded in t14s and my witch gets struck in concrete half the time, barely able to walk? Am I just old and dumb or did I break something here? Think my defenses are ok for the content I'm doing, but the mobility is very rough with shield charge, and it seems like some damage type is basically one shotting me off of mobs?

https://pobb.in/ijZ1lqsQSjt1

If you're stuck in concrete, you may have taken an altar that reflects ailments, and even with the 50% reduced effect of chill from the Brine King pantheon, you'll still max chill yourself because the base chill is so strong.

Mobility with shield charge takes a lot of practice, especially for older dogs like us, but swapping out Flame Golem for Lightning Golem could help it feel a little better thanks to the faster attacks.

Defense-wise, you should really focus on getting armour going before you start investing in suppression. Armour pays dividends much sooner thanks to molten shell, and anything less than 100% spell suppression will still leave you feeling squishy, since you'll still die to a lot of hits that wouldn't have killed you if they were suppressed.

You're probably getting one shot mostly by chaos damage, carrying a negative amount into high red maps is extremely dangerous, and even getting it to 0 can make a big difference.
So I have come to know and love this build now, converted to Occultist some days ago and boy, does it rock!

I'll certainly stick with it for next league right from the start because it has a nicely smooth progression curve for gear. (also well done on those extensive notes in PoB!)

The only disadvantage it really has is that it needs major investment to handle any recent endgame bosses. Just to give an example, single hits from Uber Atziri (who is normally a laughable boss) will instagib you unless you have a lot of spell suppress.
Which is also incidentally the one major flaw of the build because it requires 10+ divines to get decents amounts of it on otherwise well-suited equipment.

On the other hand, in the 'no spell suppress' phase you can make do with maybe 2-3 div for your gear and clear reasonable T16 maps (no juicy modifiers that hurt a lot). The clearing is insanely smooth because everything just freezes. Clear speed is definitely in the top league even before you switch to occultist.

Oh, it's also the PERFECT build for sanctuary since guardians freeze. Just be sure not to pick % monster hp or such rooms since it will affect freeze threshold. (or offset it with 50% own damage or stuff)

It's also a blast to play in Azurite mine but, again, level 82+ depth is not advisable before you have decent spell suppression.

Finally, I have not yet done serious delirium maps or difficult blight maps and I do not think the build will be any good for it. The DPS in PoB cap out at I think 3m or so, meaning beefy single targets light blight bosses or generally beefy mobs (delirium) are going to be a great danger. And not only because they will not freeze.

Still, for an area of effect, clearing-focused build the DPS are very nice, I mean, compare it to ED with its lousy 1-2m max.

Question: Which league mechnics would you focus on Atlas to make most use of this builds' advantages? I currently have heavy investment into abyss (but the only worthwhile thing there are the corrupted jewels) and Harbinger. I am thinking if heavy focus on Temple of Atzoatl might be more profitable, or even Harvest or Blight.
Opinions?

PS: Regarding ways to get 100% cold conversion without Hrimsorrow: I found out by accident that certain Templar unique jewels will transform the 6% cold pen notable into instead giving 15% physical converted to cold.
This helps a lot in not spending fortunes on extreme conversion implicit on gloves. Obviously, it also means a DPS drop since you lose the penetration.

PPS: Try and farm 'added cold damager if you have been hit recently' Lab enchant for boots. According to PoB it's easily a 5-6% DPS increase O_O
Last edited by Jasmira on Jan 31, 2023, 10:43:04 AM
"
Jasmira wrote:
So I have come to know and love this build now, converted to Occultist some days ago and boy, does it rock!

I'll certainly stick with it for next league right from the start because it has a nicely smooth progression curve for gear. (also well done on those extensive notes in PoB!)

The only disadvantage it really has is that it needs major investment to handle any recent endgame bosses. Just to give an example, single hits from Uber Atziri (who is normally a laughable boss) will instagib you unless you have a lot of spell suppress.
Which is also incidentally the one major flaw of the build because it requires 10+ divines to get decents amounts of it on otherwise well-suited equipment.

On the other hand, in the 'no spell suppress' phase you can make do with maybe 2-3 div for your gear and clear reasonable T16 maps (no juicy modifiers that hurt a lot). The clearing is insanely smooth because everything just freezes. Clear speed is definitely in the top league even before you switch to occultist.

Oh, it's also the PERFECT build for sanctuary since guardians freeze. Just be sure not to pick % monster hp or such rooms since it will affect freeze threshold. (or offset it with 50% own damage or stuff)

It's also a blast to play in Azurite mine but, again, level 82+ depth is not advisable before you have decent spell suppression.

Finally, I have not yet done serious delirium maps or difficult blight maps and I do not think the build will be any good for it. The DPS in PoB cap out at I think 3m or so, meaning beefy single targets light blight bosses or generally beefy mobs (delirium) are going to be a great danger. And not only because they will not freeze.

Still, for an area of effect, clearing-focused build the DPS are very nice, I mean, compare it to ED with its lousy 1-2m max.

Question: Which league mechnics would you focus on Atlas to make most use of this builds' advantages? I currently have heavy investment into abyss (but the only worthwhile thing there are the corrupted jewels) and Harbinger. I am thinking if heavy focus on Temple of Atzoatl might be more profitable, or even Harvest or Blight.
Opinions?

PS: Regarding ways to get 100% cold conversion without Hrimsorrow: I found out by accident that certain Templar unique jewels will transform the 6% cold pen notable into instead giving 15% physical converted to cold.
This helps a lot in not spending fortunes on extreme conversion implicit on gloves. Obviously, it also means a DPS drop since you lose the penetration.

PPS: Try and farm 'added cold damager if you have been hit recently' Lab enchant for boots. According to PoB it's easily a 5-6% DPS increase O_O

Glad to hear it's working so well for you! I think you're right about the strengths and weaknesses re: early league.

I ranked the various league mechanics in this video: https://youtu.be/JwMXHUd04iY from last league and I think it's still largely applicable, except the lack of movement speed has been largely addressed by the addition of Shield Charge, so some of the mechanics that got dinged for that might be a tier higher.

This league I've made bank in harvest when I've done some mapping, but I've mostly been sanctuming as hard as possible
hi, i don't understand much about poe but if possible i would like to know why shaper of storms instead of winter? due to damage? Written there says that all damage shocks the enemy, even if there is no electrical element?
and this is after switching to BV?
"
Mutchs wrote:
hi, i don't understand much about poe but if possible i would like to know why shaper of storms instead of winter? due to damage? Written there says that all damage shocks the enemy, even if there is no electrical element?
and this is after switching to BV?

I think you've just about got it. We choose Shaper of Storms because it lets our cold damage apply a shock, and since we hit hard (but not exceptionally fast), we can deliver a decent sized shock even shortly after switching to BV.

We don't particularly care for Shaper of Winter, since the ailments we care most about don't necessarily come from "hits", they come from our Vortex/Bonechill and eventually Brittle Ground.
Im going for the power charges occu, is aegis aurora worth anything for this build? Or selfcraft something?

For now im using a void battery & my aegis (as i have nothing else basicly). Should i sell it and craft something?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info