Curses FAQ

"
mindcontroler wrote:
Should I start breaking this down into logic gate parameters? Are all Bifurs, Bofurs?
erm... yes? Because - we're talking about a computer program here? Please remember that this is all that PoE is - just a bunch of logic functions which get executed pretty fast. Cheers!
"Boah, is echt lächerlich, wie schnell das hier lädt, wenn nich irgendwelche Penner mit MTX hier rumhängen."
"
RaiBlack wrote:
"
This stat previously didn't work so this doesn't functionally change anything to remove it.

Please do not wait for major overhauls to fix these kind of problems. This majorly hurt builds that was counting on this buff for a long time. The sad thing is, it is really hard to understand if anything is working or not because you design the game in way to conceal every mistake you do. We can't check how our damage feels for everything we add into our build one by one.

Pumping meaningless leagues one after the other had reached its beneficial limit. You should spent more time fixing and polishing your game rather than always prioritizing something else. Big chunk of your dedicated players are losing faith in you..

this x1000
:)
"
mindcontroler wrote:
"
mugenjie wrote:
"
mindcontroler wrote:
But keeping in point with my questioning, so Bane ISN'T a Hex? Correct?

Explain to me then why Hex passives (top left of the Witch tree, next to the Cluster, if you need to find them) on the skill tree work with it. Thought it wasn't supposed to be a Hex skill, even though it has the Hex tag.

As far as I'm aware, "Hex Skills" ≠ Hexes.

"Your Hexes have infinite duration"
vs
"50% increased Area of Effect of Hex Skills"
"Hex Skills have 100% Increased Skill Effect Duration"

"Skills" is essentially the same as "Skill Gems" in terms of tag grouping. Hexes themselves are not skills; hexes are hexes. Burning damage isn't a skill; burning damage is burning damage.

Look, I get where you're going, and after reading the post from Mark (who is just as lost as any of us into the whole tag argument) someone linked here, I'm inclined to believe you're applying the GGG logic (which is nowhere close to fucking right, but it's theirs and they can use it in their game) correctly, so I'll just take this at face value and leave it in Schrödinger's Proverbial Grey Area for now.

Based on this post from Mark:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/634vc5/comment/dfsifzt/

I would say a Hex is an "active skill type" (or property), just like Fire Damage. Modifiers that grant "increased Fire Damage" work differently to the ones below:

1. increased Cast Speed with Fire Skills
2. # to Level of Socketed Fire Gems
3. # to Level of all Fire Spell Skill Gems

Tags like "Fire" allow skills to be grouped and targeted by modifiers like the three above; that is the technical purpose of tags.

#1 targets all Fire Skills, including those granted by items, but not Support Gems (nor "Supported by..." modifiers on items).
#2 targets all socketed Fire Gems, including Support Gems.
#3 targets all Fire Skills from Gems that are also Spells (i.e. not Attacks).

Whether a Skill benefits from "increased Fire Damage" is not dependent on whether the Fire tag is present, but whether the active skill type "Fire Damage" is associated with it (under the hood).

Anything that inflicts Cold, Fire or Lightning damage is most certainly associated with the Elemental active skill type (considering the numerous modifiers targeting Elemental damage), but there is no equivalent Elemental tag.

Bane is a Skill with the Hex tag, so it benefits from modifiers like "increased Area of Effect of Hex Skills". The Area of Effect referenced in this modifier relates to the active skill type, and has nothing to do the AoE tag. (The AoE tag allows Bane to be targeted by "# to Level of Socketed AoE Gems".)

Every Hex is a Curse and the skill descriptions describe their effects.

- Cursed enemies have less action speed
- Cursed enemies take increased physical damage
- Cursed enemies have -x% resistance(s)

Bane itself does not inflict any type of Curse, so there is no reason for its Chaos DoT, which is not a Curse and therefore not a Hex, to benefit from Hexes having infinite duration. Under the hood, Bane's Chaos DoT is not associated with the Curse or Hex active skill types.
Last edited by mugenjie on Nov 29, 2022, 4:57:22 PM
nice :)
"
mugenjie wrote:
"
mindcontroler wrote:
Look, I get where you're going, and after reading the post from Mark (who is just as lost as any of us into the whole tag argument) someone linked here, I'm inclined to believe you're applying the GGG logic (which is nowhere close to fucking right, but it's theirs and they can use it in their game) correctly, so I'll just take this at face value and leave it in Schrödinger's Proverbial Grey Area for now.

Based on this post from Mark:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/634vc5/comment/dfsifzt/

I would say a Hex is an "active skill type" (or property), just like Fire Damage. Modifiers that grant "increased Fire Damage" work differently to the ones below:

1. increased Cast Speed with Fire Skills
2. # to Level of Socketed Fire Gems
3. # to Level of all Fire Spell Skill Gems

Tags like "Fire" allow skills to be grouped and targeted by modifiers like the three above; that is the technical purpose of tags.

#1 targets all Fire Skills, including those granted by items, but not Support Gems (nor "Supported by..." modifiers on items).
#2 targets all socketed Fire Gems, including Support Gems.
#3 targets all Fire Skills from Gems that are also Spells (i.e. not Attacks).

Whether a Skill benefits from "increased Fire Damage" is not dependent on whether the Fire tag is present, but whether the active skill type "Fire Damage" is associated with it (under the hood).

Anything that inflicts Cold, Fire or Lightning damage is most certainly associated with the Elemental active skill type (considering the numerous modifiers targeting Elemental damage), but there is no equivalent Elemental tag.

Bane is a Skill with the Hex tag, so it benefits from modifiers like "increased Area of Effect of Hex Skills". The Area of Effect referenced in this modifier relates to the active skill type, and has nothing to do the AoE tag. (The AoE tag allows Bane to be targeted by "# to Level of Socketed AoE Gems".)

Every Hex is a Curse and the skill descriptions describe their effects.

- Cursed enemies have less action speed
- Cursed enemies take increased physical damage
- Cursed enemies have -x% resistance(s)

Bane itself does not inflict any type of Curse, so there is no reason for its Chaos DoT, which is not a Curse and therefore not a Hex, to benefit from Hexes having infinite duration. Under the hood, Bane's Chaos DoT is not associated with the Curse or Hex active skill types.

Yeah, this is where my thought process went after reading Mark's post as well. It's a HORRIFYING system they have in place, but I still made sense of it.

But given the insane mess Mark presented us with about skill systems under the hood, plus the MANY MORE messes we've seen with their coding for years (not to mention the latest one with Vulnerability), this is why I said I'll take that at face value and still test it out when the time comes. Honestly, at this point it even isn't a "this either works or it doesn't", because the whole spaghetti beneath the scenes is crumbling. Very high chance it's a matter of "this works, but should it?"

In any case, thanks for the commitment mate.
It means the game is in alpha and They didn't tell us anything.
Q:Is fun even allowed in the game?

A: :) NO.
"
skizocs wrote:
"
benhonda03 wrote:
I want number until that not sure

there

wow so smart
Eat Sleep Repeat
So are you guys actually gonna add a reason to self cast curse or are you just out to waste player's time on this AGAIN.

You nerf autoapplication of curses you don't make self cast more viable, you make people consider scaling off something else entirely that isn't getting nerfed.

i.e.

1. Auto curse 1. Other Scaling
2. Other Scaling 2. Self cast curse
3. Self cast curse 3. Auto curse.

You're not making self cast curse viable, you're making auto curse worse, that's it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info