With OB on the horizon...

Hello, i expect OB after 2 weeks ,and i am sure the game will be more awesome !
"
Kyliathy wrote:
The OP has a point, but then I read what ExileDude wrote. I echo his thoughts about the temporary tranquility in the GGG offices these days. They need this time to focus on polishing the game and creating Act 3. Stress testing will come soon enough, and with it, a lot of sleepless nights I fear. So let's give them a break. People who want in, pay up. It's a pity Blizzard suckered so many people out of 60 Euros. Lots of folks' game budget for the summer is gone in Blizz' pockets. Bummer.

spectrevk: I paid 100$ for a Silver account 2 days before the Open Beta weekend. It was an impulse buy but also an informed decision:

1. Total Biscuit videos were extremely convincing.
2. Community was great.
3. http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/

I am extremely happy for my purchase and I have about 140 character levels to prove it, with around 100 hours of game-time and counting.

GGG is worth every penny, and 10$ is extremely low for what this game offers. You should be thankful that you *can* give only 10$ ::- D. Even a week would be worth it, trust me ::- ).

Of course, that is, if you loved Diablo 2 ::- D.

I salute your passion for the game. I'll have to look around a bit more before I'm certain that I want to commit, though. I mean, so far in the Shop there isn't anything you can buy for 100 points, and I was a little disappointed that there is no gender choice for the classes (so no male Rangers, no female Shadows, etc.)

"
VideoGeemer wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Friend Keys come to established Beta members, who are in a better position to "promote" the game on its merits to others whom they can identify as likely to enjoy it. Even those of us who dun have a lotta friends waiting to play can give 'em out on the forum. I'm just thinking mebbe doubling (or more) the rate at which Friend keys are issued to betas, for the balance of CB. =^[.]^=

This isn't exactly true. I haven't received one friend key yet; thought maybe they stopped doing that.

As for the main point, I thing GGG is trying to get the game as close to ready as possible before going open. Yeah, I see the point that this opportunity id here right now, with people annoyed with The Other Game, but most likely (read: hopefully) that'll still be the same case in a month.

Mebbe I should've said "Friend Keys come randomly to established Beta members."

It can take a fair while before you get one, though it's not quite the slog waiting for a Beta key from the Timer can be. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
ExileDude wrote:
Well, first of all, it's 10$ for a betakey. That's really not so much, is it?

That depends.

$10 for someone who played the game during a stress test and enjoyed it? No, it's extremely cheap and a good deal.

$10 for someone to pay for a game they've never played, made by a studio they've never heard of, based solely on a friend recommending it? Eh. Could go either way.

$10 for someone to give to a friend who may or may not like the game/play it more than once? Yeah, that's kinda pricey, especially if you know several people who might want to check it out.

I don't quite understand why the current scheme is $10=1 key, $50=3 keys, $250=5 keys, $1000=10 keys and nothing in-between. That scaling is a little...wonky.

Anyway, I agree with OP. I've tried to promote the game, but every time it hits the part where I explain that it's a free game that costs $10, they just kinda lose interest. Sure, the OB hasn't hit yet, but it'd be nice if supporters could drag a few more of their friends in a bit early.

Still, if GGG feels like they're not ready to kick out a bunch of keys at the end of CB, that is totally their prerogative.
There are other, more material perquisites which go along with those higher-priced supporter packages. The beta keys are just extras. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
They are extras, but they are extras which are practically free to produce. There is almost no difference between 5 and 50 keys for a gold supporter, other than the fact that someone has to type an extra 0 into a database.

There's an opportunity cost for GGG associated with keys becoming too common, true, though I'm not suggesting we get unlimited keys or anything. Just more than we're currently getting.

Like I said though, it's not really a huge deal or anything.
Exactly, it is not a major issue it was just something I have been thinking for a while (about the potential for a higher player/fanbase) and decided to put into words.

As you rightly said 'if GGG feels like they're not ready to kick out a bunch of keys at the end of CB, that is totally their prerogative.' Nail on the head. I am not calling for heads to roll or anything here, these guys obviously have a business plan!

I was just wondering if they had maybe concdiered something like I suggested in my OP, giving active users like us a few 2 day pass codes? Once activated your friends have 48 hours to play and see what the game is like. Chances are, for a bit more stress on your servers which by all rights should be near OB worthy, you will get at least a few more people willing to stump up the $10 for a CB key.
Or even just 24 hours. It would help when promoting this game tenfold if friends were actually able to have a go themselves!

But either way OB is coming, so if not we will just wait till then. And just hope my friends are still interested at that point!
*WARNING* - expect typos!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info