With OB on the horizon...

Would it hurt to give us active users a couple of extra beta keys to hand out?

I am promoting your game GGG, lord knows I am! However the current result is people check out your website and say 'Yeah, looks OK' and then that is it! It is hard to convince friends to part with their money for a closed beta that they never played in a stress test weekend.
I feel like you are missing a golden opportunity even more so at the moment due to so many people feeling let down by D3 being so cartoony/lack of character developement that would be more than happy to try PoE.

Maybe give us some 2 day access codes? Or something? I don't know what the best answer is. I guess I am just venting frustration that I am generating interest for your game but due to the fact people cant play it, it quickly gets forgotten.
*WARNING* - expect typos!
Well, first of all, it's 10$ for a betakey. That's really not so much, is it? And as you say, the OB is on the horizon. That's open beta. Open, as in for everyone. Why stress with the betakeys now, when they are free in a few weeks?
"And that's how you die properly, sailor boy."
(The Witch)
I see the OP's point... I wonder if turning up the flow of Friend Keys a little bit wouldn't be a good idea? Many of them would still find their way into the community at large, true (since not all of us have friends specifically in mind), but that's not a bad thing, either.

As mentioned, though, in a month or so, it'll all be moot. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
OB is on the horizon and I'm still occasionally buying credit and giving the keys to forum posters I think would make good additions to the community.

...That's silly of me, because in a month or so what I paid ten bucks for, anyone can get for free, but still. This is a crucial time.

I'm not sure I agree with getting more 'friend' keys but I think they should be doing a lot more promoting of key giveaways. Give TB a bunch, for a start. And if he already had a bunch, give him a bunch more.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Friend Keys come to established Beta members, who are in a better position to "promote" the game on its merits to others whom they can identify as likely to enjoy it. Even those of us who dun have a lotta friends waiting to play can give 'em out on the forum. I'm just thinking mebbe doubling (or more) the rate at which Friend keys are issued to betas, for the balance of CB. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
How close are we to open beta, exactly? I'd feel kind of silly if I paid for a closed beta key a day or two before the open beta starts.
"
spectrevk wrote:
How close are we to open beta, exactly? I'd feel kind of silly if I paid for a closed beta key a day or two before the open beta starts.

Open beta will be ending of june beginning of july
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
"
Scarleton wrote:
"
spectrevk wrote:

Open beta will be ending of june beginning of july

Brilliant. I've been looking for this answer everywhere. Putting a significant amount of effort into getting a key if open beta would be in two weeks would be some of a waste. Now I can use my time to try to get one, heh. Thank you!
The OP has a point, but then I read what ExileDude wrote. I echo his thoughts about the temporary tranquility in the GGG offices these days. They need this time to focus on polishing the game and creating Act 3. Stress testing will come soon enough, and with it, a lot of sleepless nights I fear. So let's give them a break. People who want in, pay up. It's a pity Blizzard suckered so many people out of 60 Euros. Lots of folks' game budget for the summer is gone in Blizz' pockets. Bummer.

spectrevk: I paid 100$ for a Silver account 2 days before the Open Beta weekend. It was an impulse buy but also an informed decision:

1. Total Biscuit videos were extremely convincing.
2. Community was great.
3. http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/

I am extremely happy for my purchase and I have about 140 character levels to prove it, with around 100 hours of game-time and counting.

GGG is worth every penny, and 10$ is extremely low for what this game offers. You should be thankful that you *can* give only 10$ ::- D. Even a week would be worth it, trust me ::- ).

Of course, that is, if you loved Diablo 2 ::- D.
My article promoting PoE:
http://www.axonnsays.com/2013/01/you-are-invited-to-the-path-of-exile-open-beta

Running PoE on an Intel i5 2500K, Radeon 7950 OC, SSD Vertex 3 MI, 8 GB RAM.
I'm also a Software Engineer and Indie Game Developer ::- ). Go Go GGG!!!
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Friend Keys come to established Beta members, who are in a better position to "promote" the game on its merits to others whom they can identify as likely to enjoy it. Even those of us who dun have a lotta friends waiting to play can give 'em out on the forum. I'm just thinking mebbe doubling (or more) the rate at which Friend keys are issued to betas, for the balance of CB. =^[.]^=

This isn't exactly true. I haven't received one friend key yet; thought maybe they stopped doing that.

As for the main point, I thing GGG is trying to get the game as close to ready as possible before going open. Yeah, I see the point that this opportunity id here right now, with people annoyed with The Other Game, but most likely (read: hopefully) that'll still be the same case in a month.
Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info