Unique flasks?

Hey there.

I've been searching the forums for mentions of Unique flasks, and while I've found something about one called Merveil's Tears, I'm not sure it is in the game anymore.

So are there unique flasks? I think they would be a great idea. I would like to see unique flasks that offer wild tradeoffs, with great disadvantages to compensate for their effects.

Here are a couple ideas so you see what I mean:

The Black Blend - Unique health flask
-> Drains your life instead of healing, for its duration.
-> While applied, enemies in a certain radius get affected by a very strong poison (DoT).

Everfreeze - Unique mana flask
-> Recovers 100% of your mana regardless of your max amount.
-> While applied, you become frozen (thus, you are frozen for longer if you have a bigger mana pool).
-> Huge resistances and damage reduction bonuses during the freeze.

What would you think of flasks like this? Do you think they would be game-breaking? Or nice mechanic additions? Any ideas of your own?
Last edited by Falcord on May 22, 2012, 4:55:34 AM
Interesting idea. But for whatever reason, having flasks go into the rare/unique area doesn't quite sit right with me.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
Last edited by ciknay on May 22, 2012, 7:21:44 AM
I like your ideas, they certainly are unique. The dot flask would be way too strong, easily abusable. In general though, unique flanks would be awesome, the problem is that flasks are harder to balance. Merveil's Tears was broken because you couldn't die while it was active. Yes, that actually was the unique mod on it. I'm sure GGG will have something up their sleeve for new unique flasks.

I like the idea, although it doesn't really have a high priority. Rare flasks wouldn't really make sense at this point in my opinion but could be added at a later point (the prefixes and suffixes would need to be balanced obviously). Rare and unique flasks feel a bit weird to me initially but they could provide interesting ways to affect character building (in particular unique flasks). Here are some more suggestions (that obviously require balancing, the third and fourth would work very well together).

The temporal concoction
Duration: 5 sec
Charges: 80
Each drink uses 60 charges
Enemies around you are slowed 50%
50% increased movement speed
10% increased attack speed
10% increased cast speed
-50% movement speed for 5 seconds after the flask effect ends

(leaking potion)
charges:10
drains 1 charge per second
1% of maximum life recovered per second for each charge
1% of maximum mana recover per second for each charge
the (leaking potion) takes up all flask slots

Estin’s dying breath
Charges: 100
Each drink uses 100 charges
Uses all charges on all potions
Sets your life to 1
5 seconds of invulnerability
Better make your last breaths count
-Estin the faithful, supreme templar commander

The berserker's charge
charges: 80
each drink uses 80 charges
duration: 5 seconds
Removes all armor, evasion, energy shield
+100% physical melee damage
+10% life leech from physical damage
Last edited by doemaarwat on May 22, 2012, 8:43:43 AM
"
doemaarwat wrote:
Rare flasks wouldn't really make sense at this point in my opinion but could be added at a later point (the prefixes and suffixes would need to be balanced obviously).
It's doubtful there will ever be rare flasks. 6 mods on a flask is entirely too op and imbalanced. GGG said so themselves that's why there are no rare flasks.

Unique flasks, however, can still be limited to 2 mods or perhaps 1 mod or 3. Uniques would be much easier to balance than rares.
I completely agree that 6 flask mods as you find them magic flasks would be very unbalanced (hence why I said they would need to be balanced - by providing less then 6 mods or weaker mods for rares for example).

overpowered is relative to monsters though and in principle, rare flask mods could work (providing a boost to char strength as well as making it more time consuming to make the "perfect" character). There are plenty of more interesting options to do this though.

Unique flasks on the other hand can change how a character functions or even unlocks new possibilities for character creation.
It's being said by Chris that unique flasks are not gonna make it ingame because those items would have been very powerful/unbalanced.
"
georgatos7 wrote:
It's being said by Chris that unique flasks are not gonna make it ingame because those items would have been very powerful/unbalanced.

I recall he said that about rares, but not really uniques. Can you provide a link?
I'm not really sure why Merveil's Tears was removed. I would like to see unique flasks added.
Forum Sheriff
There will indeed be some unique flasks added again. Not in the next patch though.
Omnitect of Wraeclast

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info