Characters reset?

Hi all, due to the fact that I got no experience with betas.

Will there be a reset of the characters to Level 0 when the final version comes?
"
Farfisa wrote:

Will there be a reset of the characters to Level 0 when the final version comes?

Between closed and open yes, and sometimes between open and release.
XBL: Ekpaidefsi Current game playing: COD: BO
Let me clarify even further about 99% of the time characters will be wiped from any beta, closed or open to release. They want everyone starting at a single point to make it as fair as possible.

Fud
Last edited by evilfud on Aug 17, 2011, 3:12:37 AM
it simply doesn't make sense to keep the characters and items. ESP the old legacy first and second generation items that were extremely overpowered. They have to be removed from game or the economy would be broked.
The purpose of argument should not be victory, but progress.
"
Farfisa wrote:

All the characters will be wiped, I have no doubt. Probably when the game enters open beta, and definitely when the game goes gold.

The item generation will change, the skills will change, passives will change, bosses will change, loot tables will change, drop chance will change etc.
It's simply not viable to keep the beta characters until release because of how much things will change.
Joined Closed Beta 20th August 2011
Right. The closed beta will probably need to be wiped on a fairly regular basis. The open beta will hopefully only be wiped rarely if at all. Since anyone can play in open beta, the game is effectively released at that point (though not completed) so avoiding a wipe would be ideal.
Forum Sheriff
I would be very surprised if there wasn't a wipe between open beta and release. Open beta is still an incomplete game so it would surprise me if ggg allowed people to start their proper characters on an unfinished game.
"
evilfud wrote:
Let me clarify even further about 99% of the time characters will be wiped from any beta, closed or open to release. They want everyone starting at a single point to make it as fair as possible.

Fud

C'mon don't give false statement. So far i've seen 2 i think closed betas that didn't have wipe and i can say the same about ob, only 2-3 that HAD wipe. You're exaggerating with 99% lol. And i'm talking about hundreds CB's i've been in so far.
OB has wipe usually if something is wrong with database and there's no other way to fix the issue but wiping everything. Ofc we're talking about f2p games, not p2p.
A "serious" game has a wipe before it goes live ... as simple as that.
If i see a release-date on a game and i enter at that date just to see some maxxed toons and have-it-alls running around i simply quit.
Same goes for items that can no longer be optained as they only existed in some of the beta-stages etc.

What ppl see all over the net is f2p games that open the itemshop in the alpha/beta stage to generate some income and that´s the one thing preventing a charreset for the real release. Ppl invested money so they can´t wipe everything they have payed for.

A Beta is for playtesting and bugtracking not getting a jumpstart over all others.
You still do get a jumpstart as you will lvl faster and have a better understanding how everything works together compared to new players.
cya Deathtiny
level fast, die young and leave a nice looking corpse!
Tinyshideouts: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3260135
"
Deathtiny2266 wrote:
A "serious" game has a wipe before it goes live ... as simple as that.
If i see a release-date on a game and i enter at that date just to see some maxxed toons and have-it-alls running around i simply quit.
Same goes for items that can no longer be optained as they only existed in some of the beta-stages etc.

What ppl see all over the net is f2p games that open the itemshop in the alpha/beta stage to generate some income and that´s the one thing preventing a charreset for the real release. Ppl invested money so they can´t wipe everything they have payed for.

A Beta is for playtesting and bugtracking not getting a jumpstart over all others.
You still do get a jumpstart as you will lvl faster and have a better understanding how everything works together compared to new players.

totally agree +1.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info