!@#!@My first physics class... Academia Pub!@#$%$

Talk about school, class... How your kids are doing in school, have fun!!!

Original Post
Spoiler
Dropping it tomorrow... The teacher over the computer wanted us to answer a question. "Where does the subconscious come from?" It was more of an icebreaker to show us how important physics is in all aspects of humanity, even in the most unlikely places.

Anyways... I answered. "We don't exist..." He told me to elaborate, well I did. I said... "I can not be sure if I exist, take for example the pen in my hand it still takes microseconds for the sensation of that pen to reach me..." The teacher kept quiet asked everyone else to chime in, no volunteer... The teacher went, "hmph."

Well, I glanced over the syllabus, NOPE. Too many classes, the workload is a shit load. I respectfully told the teacher I would take his class next semester. But something is telling me I won't.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Aug 29, 2022, 12:57:12 PM
Last bumped on Sep 14, 2023, 1:53:00 PM
Seems a bizarre way to break the ice, and you probably dodged a bullet. Tenured professors have semantic pets they love to distract students with. It's supposed to keep you from realizing how bone-dry and unintuitive their lectures are. If you're lucky, the pets won't take centre stage; but first day meets and boom rhetorical question, awkward.

Unless you perhaps mis-read the course listing, and put yourself in Metaphysics 101 by mistake. In which case, roll with it? :ascii shrug:
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Strange.

Most of my classes always begin the same: Hello, this is my name, in this course we will...., this is the schedule....

Self-important bullshit waits at least until the second lecture, and mostly i used for one awkward joke. Information science is just too similar to mathematics for its practitioners to have humor i guess.
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
Last edited by tsunamikun on Aug 18, 2022, 8:45:56 AM
I could have been an ass and told the class we are just a hologram... LOL. We did have pleasantries exchanged. Typical fashion, but was more of an introductory paragraph on the software the school uses. For credit, you have to introduce yourself and explain why you chose the class.

You get extra credit for replying to a person's introductions... Covid has caused this antisocial platform lol. Honestly, I am biased even in high school I found our physics teacher to be a total ass; egotistical. I am looking at reviews of physics teachers in our school, we only have three.

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Trust me, you don't see any real physics until university.

And if you are smart, you'll realise most of the high energy physics is simply metaphysics.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
If they don't have Ratemyprof or some other sort of 360-degree faculty review program, it's hard to know which profs and sections/lecturers have the best track record.

Many profs are egotistical assholes and yet also highly effective instructors. That said, the same personality traits that make you self-absorbed and abrasive, go hand-in-hand with poor communication skills, rambling windbag delivery style, and almost impervious to constructive feedback from students and other staff.

A good teacher is usually also a good listener/communicator, well-organized, and "gets" that their students have paid money, sometimes a lot of it, to be there and expect it to pay off in quality and efficacy.

In academics there's definitely a type of researcher who is absolutely fantastic in their bench work, but we all tacitly agree they should never do any teaching or go into industry, because they simply don't have the capacity to advocate for themselves or their students, communicate effectively to laypersons, or work on a time schedule.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
crunkatog wrote:
If they don't have Ratemyprof or some other sort of 360-degree faculty review program, it's hard to know which profs and sections/lecturers have the best track record.

Many profs are egotistical assholes and yet also highly effective instructors. That said, the same personality traits that make you self-absorbed and abrasive, go hand-in-hand with poor communication skills, rambling windbag delivery style, and almost impervious to constructive feedback from students and other staff.

A good teacher is usually also a good listener/communicator, well-organized, and "gets" that their students have paid money, sometimes a lot of it, to be there and expect it to pay off in quality and efficacy.

In academics there's definitely a type of researcher who is absolutely fantastic in their bench work, but we all tacitly agree they should never do any teaching or go into industry, because they simply don't have the capacity to advocate for themselves or their students, communicate effectively to laypersons, or work on a time schedule.

I was invited to teach at a summer school, kids range from 1st grade up to high school. I never taught a class before, at the end of the summer school 60 percent of students increased their overall math skills. Unfortunately much of their discipline to finish their homework and study comes from home. I honestly believe professors at a college level have it much easier vs a high school teacher who gets shit on by immaturity.

Working parents rely on schools more and more to provide things that schools historically didn't have in their wheelhouse. Everything from meals and hygiene to basic health care and social outreach is offloaded onto school districts and placed in the lap of sometimes woefully underpaid teachers, social workers, school health officials, ancillary staff, while the administrators continually push back with "not our problem" policies.

To the extent that the professional life of a teacher is one of the most highly regulated and scrutinized balancing acts in civilization.

As a teacher, you're expected to quickly and confidentially identify students at risk for abuse, neglect, developmental and neuropsychiatric difficulties, systemic poverty, malnutrition, and other health and safety concerns...but your hands are tied and there's actually very little you can do about it because of professional liability concerns and parental/family confidentiality and rights over their children.

You're ethically and legally obligated to make yourself aware of all students' potential issues of concern, and then either report them to someone else who might do a LOT of harm to the trust placed in you by the child or family, or do nothing because it's not acute enough for police/social services, or because the administration doesn't want to set a precedent for schools becoming de-facto responsible for nutrition, hygiene, mental health, and safe spaces. And don't you go getting personally involved in buying the kid some shoes or taking them to the doctor or bringing them a ham sandwich because then you're "grooming" or "emotionally abusing" them.

You will see the worst, and be able to do bupkuss about much of it.
Ah, another solwitch thread. It's been a while *grabs popcorn* this'll be interesting.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
crunkatog wrote:
Working parents rely on schools more and more to provide things that schools historically didn't have in their wheelhouse. Everything from meals and hygiene to basic health care and social outreach is offloaded onto school districts and placed in the lap of sometimes woefully underpaid teachers, social workers, school health officials, ancillary staff, while the administrators continually push back with "not our problem" policies.

To the extent that the professional life of a teacher is one of the most highly regulated and scrutinized balancing acts in civilization.

As a teacher, you're expected to quickly and confidentially identify students at risk for abuse, neglect, developmental and neuropsychiatric difficulties, systemic poverty, malnutrition, and other health and safety concerns...but your hands are tied and there's actually very little you can do about it because of professional liability concerns and parental/family confidentiality and rights over their children.

You're ethically and legally obligated to make yourself aware of all students' potential issues of concern, and then either report them to someone else who might do a LOT of harm to the trust placed in you by the child or family, or do nothing because it's not acute enough for police/social services, or because the administration doesn't want to set a precedent for schools becoming de-facto responsible for nutrition, hygiene, mental health, and safe spaces. And don't you go getting personally involved in buying the kid some shoes or taking them to the doctor or bringing them a ham sandwich because then you're "grooming" or "emotionally abusing" them.

You will see the worst, and be able to do bupkuss about much of it.

I find many parents to be entitled, treat teachers poorly, or simply don't care about their kids. If I could adopt all of the kids that deserve better I would. Home really affects a young adult's capacity to succeed in school. Lets not even get into social standards, immigration policy while they are great in this country; poses a threat to a standard of a good liberal education.

Some cultures don't want their daughters in college but rather at home cooking and cleaning. [Removed by Support] Again these cases are few, but its becoming more and more noticeable.

Last edited by ThomasK_GGG on Aug 21, 2022, 4:13:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info