[April 12] Initial Development Manifesto Feedback

Yep, i can agree on that. But It's almost always due to people think their crap is gold.

Bad prefixes / surs and wants much for it, when it actualy sucks. Thats why It's hard to sell.
If you got something of decent value or very high It's really easy to sell the item.

But we could get an easyer and a more convenient way to trade.
When a banker jumps out of a window, jump after him, that's where the money is.
The community as a whole hates to play the market to gear progress. Everyone that actually plays D3 as a game knows it. It's people muti-boting and selling items on 3rd party websites that will disagree. People hate auction houses and would rather self find or create their own gear. Has this game turned profitable to people now? Is PoE the next D3, because that's where it seems to be heading. Shame on you Devs! No more investing in this company anymore. Elitist a-holes! People think their crap is gold that's for sure. Everyone wants Chaos, divines or GCPs for shit items. I can't even buy anything since the drops are so shitty.
Last edited by Bushido74 on Apr 13, 2013, 10:59:02 PM
"
darkcoug wrote:
"
Ikariusrb wrote:
As far as desync goes, all ARPGs may do the prediction as you state, but for all it's other design flaws, Diablo 3 managed to resolve desync without any visible effects 99.999% of the time. Claiming working well in 99% of the cases means jack when there are 200 interactions/second. Generally playing solo, I cannot play for more than about 2 minutes without seeing BIG desync effects- such as firing at an enemy for several seconds before it turns out the enemy wasn't there at all. And that's playing solo. And it only gets worse playing with a party. And- my hat is off to anyone who actually plays a melee, because it's absolutely devastating for melee characters. I played several characters in Diablo 3, and I would once in a few days see serious spikes of rubber banding due to major server latency spikes, but normal day to day play never let us see a HINT of desync. A decade before, Diablo II did it as well. My friends who've played torchlight 2 report it suffers no such effects for online play. I don't know what you're doing differently, but your claim that this is darn near impossible to solve cannot be true- it has been visibly solved in other games which have been here before you.

I'm giving up on PoE unless you *really* fix desync. You claim you want a challenging game, and in higher level play, a single death will wipe out hours or even days of effort, yet desync singlehandedly ensures that you must play very low-risk and/or be substantially overgeared if you want to make levelling progress. Your skill as a player is < desync.

I hope you figure out what needs to be done to fix it, as otherwise I really like the game. With desync the way it is, the frustration factor outweighs the fun. I don't want to be angry when I die because the client lied to me.

One of the ways D3 handles desync is that if the enemies begin their swing with you in range, you will always get hit, even if you are well out of range by the time the swing ends. Now whether that tradeoff is better or worse than POE's sync flaws, I can't say. I do think one thing that also really helps D3 is that attacks (especially Melee) feel much more impactful. I do think getting rid of the melee accuracy stat really helps D3.

I'm not sure if you're trying to say here that in D3 there is no to-hit calculation or that the hit is effectively instantaneous, but I have this problem in PoE. If I run through a pack of zombies, with roughly +30% movement speed, and pass within melee range of them, I will get hit. Now there's no way with that kind of movement speed and a zombie's attack speed that I should get hit. But I do. And I'm not getting surrounded, because it wouldn't just be one hit if I was.

It's as if the attack is either being treated as happening instantaneously despite the attack speed/animation being much longer or the server is essentially parking my character in front of the zombie long enough to decide if the hit landed even though it had no chance to hit to begin with, from a timing standpoint. And the same thing happens with the rolling attacks from rocks in Act 2/3. They hit over long distances as if the very instant they decide to attack the hit is rolled regardless of the distance to my character or my direction and speed.
Can someone explain to me why if you put some of the calculations on the client then it'll 100% allow people to cheat?

Like...is it impossible to prevent people from "cheating" even if the client does some of the stuff?
Like...the client application should have some security as well, so wouldn't just enhanced security solve that problem?
It's good to see you guys interested in balancing solo/party play, as I'd love to not be forced into parties for 100000x xp rate.... Also would love to see some solo races that are longer (1 week. 2 weeks etc...)!!!!!!

Can't wait for some attempts at desync fixes... Will there be any changes to improve disconnection speed? i had a high lvl HC char die by being disconned in a huge pack of mobs, only to wander in the client for a few seconds, adding precious time to the 6 second discon delay (presumably)... is it possible to increase disconnection speed if a communication drop is suspected (or was i disconned properly all along)?
You want to add drop bonuses for playing in a party, which would be justified by slightly increasing monsters' HP? Good to know that this will help all those poor multiboxers out there. Why no mention of the latter in your manifesto, by the way? It's the elephant in the room.

Is there even any reason at all to play solo? I mean, legitimately, since you obviously turn a blind eye to the multiboxing method. You think that solo players have it easy because there's no "loot tension"? Really? Tension, "mental or emotional strain; intense, suppressed suspense, anxiety"... is not supposed to revolve around loot, in an ARPG. It's supposed to revolve around the combat. Regardless, there is little tension in combat (apart every once in a while) because it all comes down to just stacking enough life and defense to be a walking meatwall.

Then again, you can't really add much more stuff involving things like movement skill to the game, because of your desync problems (which sound like they'll never be fixed). Instead, you give excuses about how it simply can't be done in an ARPG, despite the fact that D3 runs almost flawlessly in that regard. Yes, it's a crap ARPG, but the combat (while superficial) feels a lot damn smoother. For the love of god, please make your combat system enjoyable for both its depth AND some polish.

Other than that, keep it up... I am grateful.
Last edited by MGReaper on Apr 14, 2013, 12:04:28 AM
"
Akenmaat wrote:
"
darkcoug wrote:
"
Ikariusrb wrote:
As far as desync goes, all ARPGs may do the prediction as you state, but for all it's other design flaws, Diablo 3 managed to resolve desync without any visible effects 99.999% of the time. Claiming working well in 99% of the cases means jack when there are 200 interactions/second. Generally playing solo, I cannot play for more than about 2 minutes without seeing BIG desync effects- such as firing at an enemy for several seconds before it turns out the enemy wasn't there at all. And that's playing solo. And it only gets worse playing with a party. And- my hat is off to anyone who actually plays a melee, because it's absolutely devastating for melee characters. I played several characters in Diablo 3, and I would once in a few days see serious spikes of rubber banding due to major server latency spikes, but normal day to day play never let us see a HINT of desync. A decade before, Diablo II did it as well. My friends who've played torchlight 2 report it suffers no such effects for online play. I don't know what you're doing differently, but your claim that this is darn near impossible to solve cannot be true- it has been visibly solved in other games which have been here before you.

I'm giving up on PoE unless you *really* fix desync. You claim you want a challenging game, and in higher level play, a single death will wipe out hours or even days of effort, yet desync singlehandedly ensures that you must play very low-risk and/or be substantially overgeared if you want to make levelling progress. Your skill as a player is < desync.

I hope you figure out what needs to be done to fix it, as otherwise I really like the game. With desync the way it is, the frustration factor outweighs the fun. I don't want to be angry when I die because the client lied to me.

One of the ways D3 handles desync is that if the enemies begin their swing with you in range, you will always get hit, even if you are well out of range by the time the swing ends. Now whether that tradeoff is better or worse than POE's sync flaws, I can't say. I do think one thing that also really helps D3 is that attacks (especially Melee) feel much more impactful. I do think getting rid of the melee accuracy stat really helps D3.

I'm not sure if you're trying to say here that in D3 there is no to-hit calculation or that the hit is effectively instantaneous, but I have this problem in PoE. If I run through a pack of zombies, with roughly +30% movement speed, and pass within melee range of them, I will get hit. Now there's no way with that kind of movement speed and a zombie's attack speed that I should get hit. But I do. And I'm not getting surrounded, because it wouldn't just be one hit if I was.

It's as if the attack is either being treated as happening instantaneously despite the attack speed/animation being much longer or the server is essentially parking my character in front of the zombie long enough to decide if the hit landed even though it had no chance to hit to begin with, from a timing standpoint. And the same thing happens with the rolling attacks from rocks in Act 2/3. They hit over long distances as if the very instant they decide to attack the hit is rolled regardless of the distance to my character or my direction and speed.

It's about d3 mobs attack range (melee).
Animation shows that they are swinging at 5ft range while you are being hit being 20ft from them.
You just can't manually avoid hits at melee range, so kiting, running through or trying to hit and run some slower attacking mobs is pretty much out of question.
It's just either tank or backpedal and cast ranged attacks across whole screen.

It's uber-annoying but still less annoying then PoE desync, you can adapt to that while you can't adapt to desyncs.
Still D3 netcode < D2 netcode on decent latency (less then 200-300 ms).
Link the sockets of 1 handed weapons together. Then add serious survivability support gems and ability gems. Invincibility for a short duration with a cooldown? Short term major hp buffs? Usable only in 1hd weapons?

Maybe add puncture to physical damage? IMO, physical damage is fine but thats just my opinion.
IGN: FortuneFame
Last edited by Nerdkiller on Apr 14, 2013, 1:14:15 AM
"
Laloo1990 wrote:
IMO it would be nice if the life nods where upgrades, since if you play CI for example, you can easily get to 5k or more of shield, but normaly if you play with life and melee, you get around 3k, plus if you play CI you just go away for literaly 3 seconds and you have full shield back up. BTW life regen could use some love.

true
Last edited by aristolholy on Apr 14, 2013, 1:49:13 AM
server Lag/Desync problem must have priority !

It is by far the most critical problem this game has... anything else content/visual is "acceptable", but the fact that one can't play because of horrible

I can post screenshots or even upload youtube videos with the fact that I'm shooting my wand (currently playing a critical-wand witch) and the monsters take damage seconds later, while they sometimes hit me before I even see them... No amount of planning and "safe" gameplay can compensate for the horribly slow response to my actions.

And all this while F1 shows very nice 200fps rendering on my Radeon 7970 and only 50-60ms network ping.

Playing on the European server. Maybe I should try another one... ? Even if network lag is higher, maybe the server processing will be different/better.

----
A little update:

I tried that, and played in the last hour on the US server(s)...
Surprise, surprise !

While the network lag was definitely there (190ms), and was felt in the game... well, the gameplay was constant/predictable!

No more jumping monsters, no more me shooting and nothing happening, when I run away from danger I actually did run away and not got damage anymore, barely any noticeable rubberbanding...

I actually managed to advance 4 waypoints and 2 levels without dieing ! And the game seemed much easier when it actually responded to my input.

SOOOOO....

WHAT THE HECK is wrong with the EU server??
GGG, please look into that !
Never give up, never surrender !
Last edited by wavetrex on Apr 14, 2013, 4:15:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info