[April 12] Initial Development Manifesto Feedback

"
Nostrademous wrote:

It depends on where you live. For USA players, Chris mentioned they have a server in Texas. If you are a East Coast player you will notice lots of desyncs (same is probably true for West Coast) while Texas players are okay.

That highlighted part is not true at all. I live in Texas and have TONS of desync on a connection that averages 30ms ping (50ms at worst). I can see saying a higher latency will definitely negatively affect desync, but having low latency does NOT guarantee less desync in PoE.

Given the limited amount of time I have to play and how much of that time is wasted with every desync death in Merciless, I have stopped playing until significant progress is made on mitigating desync.

From my perspective, I would MUCH rather see the real effects of desync (deaths, phantom hits, misses and wasted mana due to positional accuracy, etc) addressed long before cosmetic ones (enemies swinging at air, etc). At this point the game has lost much of that experimentation aspect of building new passive tree paths for me because only the Str/HP builds last long enough to be viable in late Merciless, given the desync.

Unfortunately, Chris's post didn't sound very optimistic in either timeline or overall effectiveness. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about that.
did you guys improved the loot/drop/experience gained system ? i can't seem to find the improvement .. and i see you guys talk about this ..
The problem with the map loot can "easy" be fixed.

Add a rarity bonus to each Enchantment, and make it a little bit randomized. For example, Temporaly chains actualy gives +30% quantity (or so? somtihing around that ammount), change it, that it gives +20%-32% Quantity OR +30-45% Rarity.

IGN: Toxic_Artillery

Obey the Orb:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2161077/page/1
Last edited by IsodorRodosi on Apr 13, 2013, 1:44:00 AM
Thanks for the in-depth explanation of desync, makes it easier to "let slide" when you have some understanding of what's going on.
I have this feeling there is an "obvious" solution to desync, but we and GGG just haven't figured it out yet :P

I'd also like a new manifesto on Crafting and Trading, as well as one on Economy perhaps (and how they plan balancing stuff so currency isn't inflated, etc), and maybe one on general thoughts about grinding, RNG, game progression, etc (and maybe one on Health/EHP, and another one on Builds and how your new skill gems you release affect your views on current and new builds, etc)
im no coder, but i will give away this awesome (free ofc) piece of code for you to use, these skills are gained after years of seing programmer pictures and similar stuff.

if Char_is_in_narrow_hallway_or_passage_or_maybe_a_door

{
unit_collision="off"
}
elseif

{
unit_collusuin="on"
}
return;

As you can clearly see my code is flawelass, you can also throw in some wall variables if you want, thats up to you since this piece of work is so flexible! Just Copy + Paste.

Your welcome :)

I know its not a optimal solution, but its a fix for some of the imho worst parts of desync issues, i know this causes issues one some maps etc, but there are ways around that :D
"
Gooberish wrote:
im no coder, but i will give away this awesome (free ofc) piece of code for you to use, these skills are gained after years of seing programmer pictures and similar stuff.

if Char_is_in_narrow_hallway_or_passage_or_maybe_a_door

{
unit_collision="off"
}
elseif

{
unit_collusuin="on"
}
return;

As you can clearly see my code is flawelass, you can also throw in some wall variables if you want, thats up to you since this piece of work is so flexible! Just Copy + Paste.

Your welcome :)

I know its not a optimal solution, but its a fix for some of the imho worst parts of desync issues, i know this causes issues one some maps etc, but there are ways around that :D

why would they do that? then the whole point of collision is useless
Like the look of these changes coming. Although I do think that since unwavering stance is a fairly popular keyston for physical damage builds, a chance on crit may add an added disadvantage to the keystone, so that may be something to consider as well.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing - tons of appreciation from your player base.

Cheers!
For the most part I'm looking forward to what I read in the manifesto, however it seems like it danced around the issues with solo/party balance. There've been continual requests for a /players function for ages now, yet rather than addressing the drastic imbalance in how effective it is to party versus solo, you've suggested that the imbalance will grow greater.

For my part, as a mostly solo player I don't mind that I have it harder. However, I do want to have an equal chance to get loot. One of the problems here is that from a party perspective, players are not simply going to snap up random loot. A coherent party is going to arrange for useful loot to go to the player that can use it, which means that there's a far, far larger amount of immediate upgrades in a party, and the number grows with the size.

You obviously can't account for players cooperating in the rule sets, but you can permit solo players to choose to play against party benefits/issues. It'll still leave things in favor of parties, but at least it'll be a step forward.

On another topic, I will say I'm glad to hear that melee is getting buffed rather than ranger nerfed. However, I'd prefer to have a developer manifesto on what goes into your decisions about, 'balance'.
"
gh0un wrote:
"
SunPrice wrote:
well let's say i get a critical which deal 15000 damage total , he got 30000 armor ==> 14,3% damage reduction .
if i land a critical which deal 10000 damage ==> 20% damage reduction ...
So i have to deal extra 5000 damage ( which is 50% extra ) to reduce 7,7% enemy's damage reduction from armor ...

See my point now ?

What i want is something like '10-20% Armor piecing per critical hit' , it makes sense .

And critical hit could not be affected by those endurance charges also , lol

You are using values where armor piercing wouldn´t make much of a difference anyways.
Just look at your calculations. If the enemy armor only amounts to 20% damage reduction, piercing that armor would at most make a damage difference of 20%, which is negligible since it is not much better than going from 20% to 14%.

Lets look at some better values.
Lets say the enemy has 30k armor and you deal 1000 physical damage per single hit.
30k / ((1k x 12) + 30k)) = 71% damage reduction
The enemy would take 290 damage.

Now lets say you crit for 2000 damage.
30k / ((2k x 12) + 30k)) = 55% damage reduction
The enemy would take 900 damage.

As you can see, instead of critting for double the amount of damage, you crit for triple the amount.
At values where armor piercing would make a difference, crits already reduce armor innately, and thus crits already work like armor piercing attacks.
The values you brought up are pointless because if you hit for such a huge single hit, you dont need any armor piercing in the first place since you already negate most of the enemy´s armor.
Only against enemies that reduce your damage greatly (70% or more damage reduction) is armor piercing something that would benefit you greatly, and crits already are doing a great job in these scenarios.
If you encounter enemies that only reduce your damage by 50% or less, then you can easily kill them without critical hits just fine.
If you encounter enemies with more than 70%, or even 75%, then things can get very hard to kill.
Critical hits pierce armor greatly in situations like these with the current formula.

Here is another scenario where piercing would be of great help.
The enemy has 50k armor and you deal 1000 damage with a single hit.
The enemy would have 80% damage reduction, which makes him very hard to kill.
Instead of 1000 damage, you only deal 200 damage.

Now you crit for 2000 damage.
Now the damage reduction is down to 67%.
Instead of 2000 damage, you deal 660 damage.
660 damage is more than triple the amount of 200 damage.
Instead of critting for double or triple, you are critting for even more than triple the amount.

Now lets say you crit for 3000 damage instead of 2000 (since crit multiplier is easy to come by in this game).
The damage reduction is down to 58%.
Instead of 3000 damage, you deal 1260 damage.
Instead of triple the amount on crit, you deal more than 6 times the amount.

Critical strikes are already armor piercing HEAVILY in this game, except in scenarios where the armor of the enemy would make no difference anyways (very low damage reduction values).
If the enemy has no damage reduction to begin with, piercing does not help with that too much.
If the enemy has a lot of damage reduction, critial hits already pierce that armor to great effect.

Basically what this post proves, is that if you go physical damage, you should definitely favor critical damage and critical strike chance.
Thats also why my 110k physical dps duelist in closed beta was doing just fine.
He had 100% critchance 100% of the time, and thus pierced armor on every hit.
Diamond flasks were removed, and thus physical builds nerfed to oblivion.

I think what physical crits should apply (as a status ailment) is "stun weakness".
The duration of this ailment would always last a certain amount of time (lets say 5 seconds), but the strength of the ailment would be determined by the amount of damage you did with a single hit.
This stun weakness basically reduces the enemy stun treshold, and the more life you took with a single hit, the further the stun treshold is reduced.
If you hit for a large enough portion of the enemies health, the stun treshold should even be lowered to zero, meaning that you can stunlock the enemy for 5 seconds.
This would make physical much more viable.

oh really ? seems like u are not pvp much or u haven't faced any super tanky marauder yet ...
my damage per hit is about 2500 , i got x6 for every crit i deal ...
He just stand there do nothings and get those endurancy charges , he talked me that he just gets those life and armor nodes , after that he turned Rightousfire on , i get killed in 1 second ... and i got 4000+ life , 1000+ Energy shield ?

Maybe it's not about how armor affect on critical hit but it's about how unbalance between those class ( like shadow - marauder )

ur 110K dualist are doing just fine on mods ,isn't it ? lol , come pvp more to see , lol, or try to reach to my level to pvp ...

lol , 100% crit chance for duelist ??? u are using daggers or sword ? lol , if it's 'increased 100% crittical chance' , it's likely about 5% extra for sword and 7-8% extra for dagger only , lol .
IGN : SunPrice - Level 89 Standard
Last edited by SunPrice on Apr 13, 2013, 3:20:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info