Lightning Damage: Overpowered?

Are you comparing me with that sort of player?
My article promoting PoE:
http://www.axonnsays.com/2013/01/you-are-invited-to-the-path-of-exile-open-beta

Running PoE on an Intel i5 2500K, Radeon 7950 OC, SSD Vertex 3 MI, 8 GB RAM.
I'm also a Software Engineer and Indie Game Developer ::- ). Go Go GGG!!!
"
Kyliathy wrote:
Are you comparing me with that sort of player?

I'm comparing a complaint about Lightning being OP, despite it not killing you or preventing you from killing them, to a complaint about ranged attacks being ranged attacks, despite a plethora of other ways to attack... from range.

I'm not comparing YOU to any type of player. Or anything else. Although I have no clue what "sort" of player you are refering to...
itsalljustagame.wordpress.com - my blog about all things gaming - Current project - "Communal effort" - Game design by popular vote!
The type of player which complains about anything difficult.

What I noticed was that the Level 3 of Chamber of Sins is either too difficult, either the rest of the game is too easy.

I would nerf those skeletons with about 10%. That level is more reminiscent of Cruel difficulty rather than Normal. But that's just my two cents.
My article promoting PoE:
http://www.axonnsays.com/2013/01/you-are-invited-to-the-path-of-exile-open-beta

Running PoE on an Intel i5 2500K, Radeon 7950 OC, SSD Vertex 3 MI, 8 GB RAM.
I'm also a Software Engineer and Indie Game Developer ::- ). Go Go GGG!!!
Lightning is not the problem, the shotgun effect is. WHen you get into melee range of a mob that casts spark, all 4 sparks hit you at the same time, causing it to do four times the damage. It is easy to fix though, just get lightning resistance.
Another reason why I love poison arrow. Spray room, RUN!

But yeah, geez, got killed initially by the spark spam then duh! not uisng my rings. I switch my rings when I fight Merveil, I did it with this as well. I feel that GGG should implement more such situational options. Think Witcher 2!
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
I don't think that lighning damage is OP, since there is quite some gambling involved using it ;) (and i guess its the same if your character or the enemys use it). Yes it has na enourmous max damage, but an increadibly low nimimum as well (for example i'm playing a elemental templar currently and the lightning damage i deal is 20-320 -> so either i deal a great amount of damage or almost no damage at all).

And IMHO this huge damage span is the speciality of lighning, when they would nerf max potential they have to rise the min and in the end there will be very little difference between fire and lighning (IMO currently its balanced this way: lighning insane possible damage (gambling) and i thing that the lighning critical is the weakest of the elemental citicls (not saing that is is weak, but i think that to ignite targets or freeze them is more usefull (or at least more usefull in more situations ;))), fire has lower max damage, but is more reliable and can get really good amount of damage over time in case of a critical, while ice has the worst damage, but the best 'support' effect)

I don't know how the chamber of sins lvl3 is with other characters, but it wasn't that hard with this templar (but i have to say that his resitances were quite buffed, so i might have ben only lucky to had the right items in the right time).

Just my 2 cents :)
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
You can dodge all of their lightning attacks. Just sayin'
And how do you dodge the spark spamming false god when you're melee?
"
BrecMadak wrote:
It is really interesting and sad to see that people 99% of the time that they will never look into themselves (characters' power) and see if any op situation is viable, but it only matters when the situation becomes vice versa as of now ?

I mean it, why no one (never-almost at best) will never open a thread regarding the OP'ness of their own characters, and its unfairness as expected truth to be told.

It is getting even more so god damn hard to see threads like "x thing (character related) is OP, and need a nerf".

And this should be noted imo.

Balancing everything out too much makes the combat bland and kills the flavor of the game. It's PvE, so some imbalance actually spices it up a little, and is allowed.

But I did complain about Flicker Strike doing way more damage than Double Strike under absolutely any circumstance, despite the fact that I use both.

But on topic, I highly disagree, you can survive lightning by stacking health and being careful. Not so with cold, since being constantly frozen is game-over unless you have a thawing potion, and that's from mobs you face before you can even wear resistance rings (hi Chatters). And even then, you can run out of charges pretty fast if you spam flasks every time you get frozen. Not to mention the fact that, if you don't suck, Cold Snap is more damaging than Spark, because it is completely unavoidable.
Last edited by Silty on May 18, 2012, 6:30:27 PM
Cold snap is completely avoidable. The mobs target your current location and the spell has a cast time. You probably need decent movement speed, but with +27% I can easily dodge cold snaps. I think a ranged character may not discover this as they are not constantly moving.

Spark is unavoidable for melee, and you will get hit by 4 sparks at a time. This is only reason a problem with the false god/totem boss though, as melee characters should be able to kill other Spark casters very quickly.

I am not at all surprised that lightning is more a problem for melee, and cold for ranged.
Last edited by hzflank on May 18, 2012, 6:46:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info