Evasion rating = WORTHLESS

Don't think I saw anyone mention this yet, but make sure you don't have unwavering stance!
IGN - DiscoBadger
Evasion and Armor could be helped greatly if GGG would remove some of the penalty you get hit with as you move up through the acts.

I went total evasion and blocking on my last build to test it. At level 49 62% chance to evade. at level 50 took another 8% to evade node for 62% to evade. Upgrade 200 evasion on my shield to get to 62% evasion. Reached level 51 and took another plus 8% to evade node to get to 62% to evade. Plus my grace gem being leveled to get to 62%. Why make it so hard to gain more? The limit is 75% anyway isn't it? Back off a little on the penalty and you can put meaningful points into evasion and armor and still put points elsewhere too (Life!). All without nerfing the damage dealt by the enemy.
alot explains about evasion and how buff it here
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/315606
Last edited by LendoKaar on Apr 11, 2013, 4:30:00 AM
"
Charan wrote:
Does anyone have any examples of an ARPG or MMO where it does? I'm not asking facetiously, I'd genuinely like to know. Every MMO I've played where I've gone rogue-type, I've been basically paper: weak as, sharp as.

I've had this idea about Evasion...would it be a good idea to make it work similar to Champions Online?
"...You know the difference between arrogance and confidence?

Confidence can back its shit up." -Charan
Last edited by anderdouche on Apr 11, 2013, 5:37:18 AM
"
Charan wrote:

Does anyone have any examples of an ARPG or MMO where it does? I'm not asking facetiously, I'd genuinely like to know. Every MMO I've played where I've gone rogue-type, I've been basically paper: weak as, sharp as.

Depending on your definition, GW2 might count. Their "rogue" class can use Stealth in such a way as to make them SO evasive it's more-or-less gamebreaking.
#1 rule of official forum boards of every video game ever: use the forums to relay info, gather suggestions, or the rare narrow-focused Poll; but NEVER as "feedback".

#2 rule: Never say the #1 rule in an official capacity. Let some guy on the forums say it, leaving yourself plausible deniability.
Hmm, I find the evasion nodes are not that worthless, but it is usually worth taking only one of the +50% evasion clusters if/when your evasion is in the ~30% chance to evade range, which happens in later levels (66+). In that case, grabbing one of these 2 clusters of +50% evasion will bump you by a good 7%+ chance to evade, for only 3 points. If you get the one under the Ranger start, grab that 4 nodes life clusters too to capitalize on the prerequisites you might have paid to get there. It's on the ranger %life highway, so no cost really.

If you're at 45%+ evasion already, through say, excellent gear, a dex shield and grace, then the +evasion nodes won't do much at all, so skip.
Last edited by Thalandor on Apr 11, 2013, 10:37:08 AM
Just on a sidenode in this thread

The way evasion is rolled, like someone before me explained, if a mob count reaches 100
(in his example)he wil "hit" u, and this "hit" wil reset ure evasion value for that mob, meaning he would have to swing an aditional 3/4 times to hit u again and reset his valie once more.

However how ingame mechanics work, a "block" in PoE is considered a succesfull "hit",
therefore with a high enuf block% + evasion, it is posible to be imune to physical attacks/physical;elemental hybrid attacks. Ofcorse eventualy u wil get hit there is no way of getting around that. But ure EHP wil rise exponentialy in PoE because of the mechanics interaction of evasion/block. Every succesfull block wil in reality reset that monsters chance to hit u.

On another note the suport gem "blind" is incredible to boost ure evasion chances
(it wont show on ure information obviuesly, but it is capable of boosting ure evasion by a massive 30%)

Also there is a curse that lowers the enemy accurecy rating(i black out about it's name sorry ) and since ure evasion is rolled vs the mobs ACC rating lowering it with blind/curse
wil make ure "effective" evasion a lot higher then is mentioned in ure information screen.

So to conclude :

Evasion + block = stacking mechanics

Blind + curse to lower ACC rating of mobs = exponential improvement in evasion rating towards them.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Vakirauta wrote:

Does anyone have any examples of an ARPG or MMO where stacking HP is the only way to stay alive? I'd like to know Charan.

Facetious answer is facetious. Pat yourself on the back for completely missing the point. You're not always a troll but when you are, you don't do half-measures.

___

GW2's stealth mechanic is great. I really do enjoy just how handy it is, but it's not really a true evasion-as-stat system. The sheer amount of manual dodging I do as a sword/dagger thief is insane, but as far as stats go, GW2 doesn't have an equivalent of 'evasion'. All the classes have the same stat pool, and the closest GW2 has to evasion as a stat would be toughness.

I think that's probably where PoE went wrong with its conception of 'evasion'. By making it a stat rather than a manual mechanic (virtually impossible with desync but TC+WB isn't bad for manual dodging) or a side-stat (as it was in D2 via the amazon's passive dodge/evade/avoid), evasion gives the illusion of being actually viable by itself.

It is not and never will. Block, evade+A/PA/AD, decent life pool, blind, TC or enfeeble. Then you're getting somewhere.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Charan wrote:
"
Vakirauta wrote:
"
Gorthen wrote:
if I went pure evasion i would evade stuff and not need the HP.

I wish it worked like this..

I know at some point in FFXI's long history ninja's could blink tank. As I recall (which could be wrong in same manner), ninja's had an ability which would nullify 3 hits. So if your evade was high enough the 3 hit block would be off C/D before you took 3 hits. Of course RNG is RNG, so there was always a chance that the ninja would get an unlucky string. I don't know if it was ever viable at high levels due to that. (It's really a matter of monster damage vs player health, much like here. If a game had low healing, low hp pools, and low damage mobs, an unlucky string wouldn't matter. POE is quite the opposite of that though.)
"
Saffell wrote:

I know at some point in FFXI's long history ninja's could blink tank. As I recall (which could be wrong in same manner), ninja's had an ability which would nullify 3 hits. So if your evade was high enough the 3 hit block would be off C/D before you took 3 hits. Of course RNG is RNG, so there was always a chance that the ninja would get an unlucky string. I don't know if it was ever viable at high levels due to that. (It's really a matter of monster damage vs player health, much like here. If a game had low healing, low hp pools, and low damage mobs, an unlucky string wouldn't matter. POE is quite the opposite of that though.)

Interesting!

I never thought about how intrinsically linked healing/hp pool/damage scale and evasion-based defences really are. Naturally Scrotie and a few others have mentioned that reducing the overall scale would help mitigate the health=king issue, but I suppose it would also make evasion-based builds that much more viable.

I have to admit, when I first started playing PoE and didn't know much about builds or min/maxing, I assumed it would avoid some of the power creep pitfalls of other, lesser ARPGs, and thus would adhere more to, say, the D and D system, where a small increase in damage or hp can make all the difference.

Then when I started seeing 10k+ health builds and dps over 10k, I was a little disheartened.

I've actually considered trying DDO to see if it tickles more intensely my need for smaller, more significant scaling of damage/life/healing. I know it has an active dodge, as well, and since it IS Dungeons and Dragons, I know an evasion-style build can work very well, given the potency of reflex saves, etc.

Oddly enough, I originally compared PoE to D1 (way back when I first arrived) rather than D2 on several fronts, and one of the great things about D1 was the scale. You didn't need to be super-powered to handle any of the content, and as far as I recall no one even talked about DPS (which was much more an MMO factor when deciding on party structure). But as GGG adds content and allows the power levels to grow to match rather than more carefully scaling, PoE is much more D2 now. For whatever reason I always thought of D1 as 'Dragon Ball' and D2 as 'Dragon Ball Z' in terms of power scale. Perhaps it was just ignorance on my behalf there.

At any rate, it's entirely too late to change any of this, but it's interesting to think about.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info