Ruby Flask: 2 seconds?!

Yes the 2 seconds are too less.
I have to agree. I've never used one of these flasks and at 2 seconds I see no reason to change that.

If I run into a pack of high damage fire/cold/lightning, I can just temporarily equip a ring or two and have all that resistance always on.

Considering you only get 5 flasks slots, I can't see how these two second flasks are even the tiniest bit useful, when compared to other options.
In a very grind heavy game the death penalty equates to...more grinding.
Because of the short duration and "minimal" effects (especially if your gear is already "cap" resistance), I would not use it as is, theres just so much better flasks to use, more health,mana, or the Diamond flasks that will let me one shot the mob of things that i never got hit with to begin with (unless i ele reflect and oneshot myself /rage). They could do with increasing duration and also adding in some energy shield flasks.
Aye, hopefully they increase the duration of the 3 elemental resist flasks to match granite. I think with the changes to resistances in higher difficulties, this will be a good time to do it.
*Vaal Oversoul raises his arm to bring THE HAND OF GOD down upon you*

*Ruby Flask*

trololol

*ehum*

That is one of the very few instances where 2 seconds is all you need (although since Vaals GODHAND was converted to half physical now it might not be enough). You can also time it for corpse explosions or when fighting those fireball shotgun skeletons among other things depending on your kill speed.

WARNING: Topaz Flask will NOT save you from Fid in the chamber of sins, don't try that in hardcore.
Last edited by Waves_blade on Sep 26, 2012, 5:17:23 PM
I think they need to be at least on par with granite flasks. I started collecting the resists flasks in the 1 wk race and no one even cares to get them just in case. 2 sec makes them useless, 4 (like granite) makes them usable for places like sin.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
I had been thinking about this just the other night myself. I have all these flasks saved up and feel like they are useless because of such a short duration. Even if you glassblower them to 20% it's still under 3 second duration I believe. Like others said they should at least be on par with Granite flasks if not even longer. Maybe even add some specialized nodes in the skill tree to alter these elemental flask properties?
Much (most?) of their usefulness is from the increase to max resistance. With the new difficulty-based resistance penalties, their regular resistance boost becomes more useful as well though I think this is more of a secondary feature of the elemental flasks.

But they're a situational aid not a long-term resistance bonus. They get you out of trouble or prevent a damage spike that you see coming (such as the act 2 boss's fire attack or a painfully large pack of cold snap elementals). If you don't see it coming, as with all times you lose focus, you should have a good chance of death.

Two-three seconds of game time is a long time. I would rather have a couple uses from a full flask for two to three seconds than a single use for four seconds (and I do think it would have to go single-use at a four second base).

I think the argument that they should match granite flasks is unfounded. Armour and elemental resists are completely different systems of damage (and mitigation). I neither have the numbers nor see the numbers in this thread comparing them well enough to suggest a reasonable ratio of elemental to physical flask duration.

I think they're fine as is.. just know that you're only going to use them immediately prior to when necessary and their frequency of use goes up with each difficulty.

Can you imagine the impact on the recently demonstrated righteous fire build if these flasks had their durations extended?
My main is a ranger who uses those flasks e.g. in the pyramid to pre-clean rooms: Take a sip, dash in, throw e.g. fire traps, dash out, wait for the kaboom-whoosh and the barbecue and then pick off whatever is still alive. Two to four seconds are perfectly fine for this. :-)
I think it's unfair to compare these with Granite Flasks, granite flasks will probably be nerfed in OB. Having 2 drinks per flask is too much for the Granite flask's duration.

Resistance flasks should be bumped up to 2.5 sec at least I think.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info