Diablo mechaninc in PoE wasting time and code

"
coffecat wrote:
Stop with the damn diablo allready, its 2 difference games.

I do not want the gameplay to be repetetive like Diablo is!
Is someone agree with me, lets say it once but as gentlemans.

Then you're definitely in the wrong genre.
My little tribute to Diablo 1 aka why Diablo 3 is the worst part of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2ejhudUlU

ig: Witchfire_The_Unholy
"
Diablo1reborn wrote:
"
coffecat wrote:

Why so?
"
coffecat wrote:
"
Diablo1reborn wrote:
"
coffecat wrote:

Why so?

Because the genre is called Diablo-clones.
as much as i cant stand people talking about diablo here .. the OP does underneath all the nonsense have a valid question (of sorts)

is 3-4 iterations of an increasingly difficult sequence of Acts a valid approach to retain players long term, or is it better to have one increasing difficult "story arc" ?

which of these two would keep you playing?

from a development perspective (and im not honestly accusing anyone either Blizz or GGG of being lazy) I can see that iterations over the same/similar source material is optimal. it becomes a balancing issue foremost, though each company has gone down the track of varying gear selection as the difficulties and levels increase, so it's not _just_ mobs with more HP

and i imagine that one large but increasingly complex story would be pretty difficult to get done in any reasonable amount of time. plus, in a weird way to me it makes the game feel less replayable.

(though having said that im on iteration 3 of dark souls, which i would have originally said was the single story arc approach, but is becoming more like the diablo-esque repeating acts..)

the more i think about it, the more i like the opportunities an iterative sequence of acts could provide. the problem comes from the fact that for each iteration of cool-event (that you look forward to on each iteration) there will be the dreaded-event (the chore that you have to continue doing.)

are there ways for the devs to vary each iteration enough so that they arent just repetitions? d3 has the events and randomly available side areas, but im not convinced that is enough to make me want to keep playing through the same thing again and again. i want more than just harder monsters with more HP and currently the only incentive is finding more and cooler loot.

is that enough?

and is that the cornerstone of this genre and we should simply leave it at that?

[Content moved to its own topic.]
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on May 17, 2012, 8:31:19 PM
Furthermore, I was under the impression that the number and complexity of skills used against you increases as the difficulty increases... changing the game experience.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
Okay then give some idea for end game content that will keep us NOT boored for years.

Two heads think better than one. GGG are ~11 heads but 100+ will thnk for better ideas, right? go ahead
personally, i hate the idea of end-game. i dont like building characters so that they can only function in 'end-game' and i dont enjoy a gaming process that isnt rewarding in it's own way as you journey through it.

in spite of this what i would like to see in end-game is a way for high-level characters to be able to craft cool things that only new characters can make use of. im not saying gear specifically, but what if end-game chars could unlock new quests or areas for your low level players to explore, or 'craft' cosmetic items that new low-level characters could make use of?

basically, i want my end-game chars to be useful, and to open up opportunities for replaying the game in a different way. I like the idea of replaying the game a few times trying different styles, and i have little interest in doing raids or runs with only level-capped characters.
I just read on the first page that someone said that GGG is leeching ideas from Blizzard. All I can say is: gosh, I had no idea people can be so ignorant. I won't read this thread again. Even the title is silly. The poster definitely has no idea about software development, then alone game development. Stop wasting your time people. More important threads to be on, helping the future of this game rather than indulging in this puerile discussion.
My article promoting PoE:
http://www.axonnsays.com/2013/01/you-are-invited-to-the-path-of-exile-open-beta

Running PoE on an Intel i5 2500K, Radeon 7950 OC, SSD Vertex 3 MI, 8 GB RAM.
I'm also a Software Engineer and Indie Game Developer ::- ). Go Go GGG!!!
I never had a big issue with the whole "Finish the game, then start over at the next difficulty"
It doesn't feel repetitive to me because typically the next difficulty is a whole different beast. The enemies are harder, the item drops are better, there are more bosses. You typically can't use the same tactics as you did in normal, and your character has evolved.
I wouldn't mind sprinkling in new monsters at higher levels, or encountering more difficult ones sooner, but either way. I think it works pretty well.
For me, the game didn't start getting really fun until cruel difficulty.
On the topic of leaching ideas from Blizzard. Blizzard has never made an original game in their life. ALL their games are just swiped ideas from other games/companies that they then polished into a product. There is nothing wrong with that.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Last edited by CliveHowlitzer on May 17, 2012, 11:17:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info