[3.24] fezz's Toxic Rain Champion - Step-by-Step PoE Build Guide for Beginners & Casuals

Hi, I'm a long time player but am looking around for new builds and found this guide, so I started a SSF Standard game and am trying it out. Since I usually play mana/minion/elemental type characters, this has been a nice change of pace. I was thinking it would be nice, especially if I was a new player, to have some guidance on what types of equipment (other than just grab a g-g-r) to be looking for in the campaign. If I missed that section, I apologize. I think new players would esp benefit from this! Thanks, and am having a lot of fun with this build and your guide! :-)
"
Mayhemgrrl930 wrote:
Hi, I'm a long time player but am looking around for new builds and found this guide, so I started a SSF Standard game and am trying it out. Since I usually play mana/minion/elemental type characters, this has been a nice change of pace. I was thinking it would be nice, especially if I was a new player, to have some guidance on what types of equipment (other than just grab a g-g-r) to be looking for in the campaign. If I missed that section, I apologize. I think new players would esp benefit from this! Thanks, and am having a lot of fun with this build and your guide! :-)

Other than appropiate gem links and +X to Maximum Life (and resistances from Act 4 onwards) there is really no need for specific types of equipment during the campaign - which is one reason why this build is so beginner-friendly ;)

That being said, I think there are quite a few recommendations regarding items in the campaign, such as:

- Level 18: Get a Poleaxe and upgrade it by using a vendor recipe as soon as possible

- Level 23: Get a Double Axe and upgrade it by using a vendor recipe as soon as possible

- Level 33: Craft your leveling bow (including a step-by-step crafting guide)

Other than that, the players will be able to play with any equipment they find (as long as they pick up the right gems links). In the endgame, there are specific items of course, which should be used, but there are very detailed information for all endgame items.
Last edited by fezz8386 on Mar 29, 2023, 5:24:25 PM
Thanks for your guide, I'm finding it really helpful as someone who is just retuning after Betrayal league.

In Act 3 when we are crafting our leveling bow, what would be the preference between Royal, Grove, or Death Bow? Some have faster attack speeds, does that matter for TR at all? What about the physical damage?
"
lasagnaman wrote:
Thanks for your guide, I'm finding it really helpful as someone who is just retuning after Betrayal league.

In Act 3 when we are crafting our leveling bow, what would be the preference between Royal, Grove, or Death Bow? Some have faster attack speeds, does that matter for TR at all? What about the physical damage?

The bow base really doesn't matter at this stage of the game. Just make sure you have 3-4 linked sockets (but if you want to minmax anyway, pick the base with the highest attack speed available)

By the way: Physical damage is completely useless for this specific build since it sclales the DoT damage of Toxic Rain, not the hit damage.
Will this guide work on standard league?
"
Aloranis wrote:
Will this guide work on standard league?

Standard just doesn't allow you to engage with the current league mechanic. Other than that, everything is the same. So yes, the build works in Standard.
I don't know much about PoE, but looking at the patch notes, I get the impression that you are facing a difficult mission...

We believe in you!!
"
fezz8386 wrote:

The bow base really doesn't matter at this stage of the game. Just make sure you have 3-4 linked sockets (but if you want to minmax anyway, pick the base with the highest attack speed available)

By the way: Physical damage is completely useless for this specific build since it sclales the DoT damage of Toxic Rain, not the hit damage.

Thanks, I've been playing more and this has become clear :)

One thing I'm curious about, why do we respec out of Fury bolts after we switch to Toxic rain? 32% increased damage (and 20 Str) seem like a good deal for 2 skill points? At least better than the 2 points on the left side of Avatar of the Hunt's wheel correct?
Last edited by lasagnaman on Mar 30, 2023, 8:33:14 PM
"
lasagnaman wrote:
"
fezz8386 wrote:

Thanks, I've been playing more and this has become clear :)

One thing I'm curious about, why do we respec out of Fury bolts after we switch to Toxic rain? 32% increased damage (and 20 Str) seem like a good deal for 2 skill points? At least better than the 2 points on the left side of Avatar of the Hunt's wheel correct?

In 3.20, there are better options than Fury Bolts. I have to re-evaluate this for 3.21.
"
Aloranis wrote:
I don't know much about PoE, but looking at the patch notes, I get the impression that you are facing a difficult mission...

We believe in you!!

On first sight, it looks harsh, but I think there is a solution. I have to check some things first, to be sure, obviously.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info