[3.24] fezz's Toxic Rain Champion - Step-by-Step PoE Build Guide for Beginners & Casuals

"
PathofReevs wrote:
I will be league starting this in 3.18. As someone who has only ever done maybe 1 or 2 yellow maps ever I am excited to see if my progress this league will be better. Will provide feedback and what I am able to accomplish this league using this guide for leveling/endgame! Thanks for all the hard work put into this guide!

That's awesome! I wish you a good start!
"
fezz8386 wrote:
"
cirerrek wrote:
"
fezz8386 wrote:

Thanks for the input/feedback (some of this is actually beneficial and I've put it on my todo-list, some of it is too much information imo). It's always a challenge to decide which information a beginner guide should contait and which not. And there's not a correct answer most of the time, unfortunately :D.

Glad to hear some of it was useful. Completely understand on the difficulty of knowing your audience. Best of luck on your leaguestart if you are playing!

I will, thank you! If you do so too, have fun as well!

Thx

PS was talking over the molten shell on leftclick with a full time HC SSF player and he said early on when you don't have the sockets for it just put it on leftclick (assuming you are running determination so you have a decent chunk of flat armour), but do make it a priority to get it on a CWDT as soon as you get an item drop or craft gear that gives you the necessary sockets to do so.
"
cirerrek wrote:

Thx

PS was talking over the molten shell on leftclick with a full time HC SSF player and he said early on when you don't have the sockets for it just put it on leftclick (assuming you are running determination so you have a decent chunk of flat armour), but do make it a priority to get it on a CWDT as soon as you get an item drop or craft gear that gives you the necessary sockets to do so.

Yep. The guide will tell you the same (see endgame milestones) :)
Last edited by fezz8386 on May 14, 2022, 4:01:03 AM
Hey, thanks for this build!

I'm a casual. One of the best league starts I've ever had. No deaths, well 1 due to the game freezing up. Reached Act 4 with Toxic Rain on 3 link. Shattering Steel really crapped out mid of Act 3 - couldn't kill General Gravicus. Also Bandit Oak took forever, kept running out of mana and he kept healing himself.
Btw, didn't realize the (toxic rain) gems were available in Act 1 haha.

Some feedback if you like. There are mana issues. I know you stated to get the flask effect that continues inspite of reserved mana. Don't think I have enough currency to mess with getting that roll as yet. So I'm only running Vitality and Herald of Purity. Not enough mana for the rest. It will change definitely once I get the flask mod, more intel, tree nodes, etc. Just sharing what it's like at this point.

Also, someone gave me their PoB from 3.17. They slightly altered yours for SSF. That's the style I play, even though I'm in SC. I've never traded. In case I get stuck, I have his to fall back on.

Anyway, great guide. Really enjoying it. Haven't died to Dominus or any boss yet. Hopefully that stays :)
Used this in 3.17 and finished all content with it, full cleared atlas etc.
Props for the build and guide last year as it was excellent and helped me on my first post-campaign playthrough. Appreciate the time and effort you put into it, especially the early endgame gearing.

Decided to start with it again in 3.18 and it's doing fairly well - rough start as always until you hit the 40s but spending 2c on a quill rain is just a no brainer. It can carry to maps and a little bit further pretty comfortably.

For anybody struggling I would say make alterations where possible to the build/items depending on your circumstances. For me I'm not having issues suriviving so instead of speccing into the life and flask nodes on the tree i went straight for the %dmg and multiplier nodes then mana mastery in top right (10% mana on guard skill, 2% mana on kill) which helps to sustain very easily and make levelling more comfortable. Whereas if I was struggling I would grab the life nodes, spell suppression etc early instead of delaying.

For auras I just use grace (get mastery on tree), defiance and determination banner - i always feel that vitality is pretty bad unless you have a big mana pool (and the heralds i just skip past). The life regen of vitality is poor in comparison to the mana cost until endgame, better to just stack a bunch more toxic rain shots with the mana.

I also don't have any special flasks, just standard no modifer 2 life, QS, 2 mana. So you can definitely get around mana issues by just altering which auras you take and skill order in the tree rather than thinking its reliant on certain gear/flasks etc.
"
Adeth wrote:

I'm a casual. One of the best league starts I've ever had. No deaths, well 1 due to the game freezing up. Reached Act 4 with Toxic Rain on 3 link. Shattering Steel really crapped out mid of Act 3 - couldn't kill General Gravicus. Also Bandit Oak took forever, kept running out of mana and he kept healing himself.

Some feedback if you like. There are mana issues. I know you stated to get the flask effect that continues inspite of reserved mana. Don't think I have enough currency to mess with getting that roll as yet. So I'm only running Vitality and Herald of Purity. Not enough mana for the rest. It will change definitely once I get the flask mod, more intel, tree nodes, etc. Just sharing what it's like at this point.

Also, someone gave me their PoB from 3.17. They slightly altered yours for SSF. That's the style I play, even though I'm in SC. I've never traded. In case I get stuck, I have his to fall back on.

Anyway, great guide. Really enjoying it. Haven't died to Dominus or any boss yet. Hopefully that stays :)

I'd recommend trying out determination and defiance banner for example instead of vitality/herald. Can also try grace + banner instead of determination and get grace node on the tree to save even more mana. Grace & banner only reserve 40% mana total and once you get the final ascendancy the banner cost is removed entirely.
Thank you for making a PoB that shows you in what order to place the points! I was just playing a build that didn't do that and I had no idea in what direction to go. I know pros know everything but it's super helpful if people put down in what order to put the points and what you should going for.

I'll try this build/guide out but I'm struggling hard time in this new league.
"
Adeth wrote:

Great to hear that you had a good league start.

Regarding the mana issues: It really is just a problem in a very specific case, namely if you didn't find/roll a Enduring Mana flask in Act 2 when you are supposed to use the 2 Herald auras. Other than that it's pretty much impossible to run out of mana with how the build is setup (you invest like 5-7 skill points this build normally doesnt need to acheive that - but it's a huge QoL.

Regarding the PoB: The guide is written for SSF. Everything important can be crafted (and the guide tells you how). So there shouldnt be a need for a "SSF PoB".

Let me know about your progress!
Last edited by fezz8386 on May 15, 2022, 2:56:08 AM
"
Fwuq wrote:
Used this in 3.17 and finished all content with it, full cleared atlas etc.
Props for the build and guide last year as it was excellent and helped me on my first post-campaign playthrough. Appreciate the time and effort you put into it, especially the early endgame gearing.

Decided to start with it again in 3.18 and it's doing fairly well - rough start as always until you hit the 40s but spending 2c on a quill rain is just a no brainer. It can carry to maps and a little bit further pretty comfortably.

For anybody struggling I would say make alterations where possible to the build/items depending on your circumstances. For me I'm not having issues suriviving so instead of speccing into the life and flask nodes on the tree i went straight for the %dmg and multiplier nodes then mana mastery in top right (10% mana on guard skill, 2% mana on kill) which helps to sustain very easily and make levelling more comfortable. Whereas if I was struggling I would grab the life nodes, spell suppression etc early instead of delaying.

For auras I just use grace (get mastery on tree), defiance and determination banner - i always feel that vitality is pretty bad unless you have a big mana pool (and the heralds i just skip past). The life regen of vitality is poor in comparison to the mana cost until endgame, better to just stack a bunch more toxic rain shots with the mana.

I also don't have any special flasks, just standard no modifer 2 life, QS, 2 mana. So you can definitely get around mana issues by just altering which auras you take and skill order in the tree rather than thinking its reliant on certain gear/flasks etc.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, the guide considers most (if not all) of that ;)
"
hulduet wrote:
Thank you for making a PoB that shows you in what order to place the points! I was just playing a build that didn't do that and I had no idea in what direction to go. I know pros know everything but it's super helpful if people put down in what order to put the points and what you should going for.

I'll try this build/guide out but I'm struggling hard time in this new league.

You're welcome. In my opinion, having a step-by-step PoB is important, if you want to create a beginner-friendly guide. Therefore, I go the extra mile. It's very great to see that you appreciate it.

Regarding "I'm struggling hard time in this new league". Everyone is, kind of. The campaign took 3 hours longer than normally for me and I died a few times (which normally doesnt happen this early) due to overlapping rares with 3+ Archnemesis mods. GGG is working on several hotfixes (and already released some). Let's hope for the best ;)
Last edited by fezz8386 on May 15, 2022, 3:06:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info