[3.18] League Starter Bladefall Blade Blast Chieftain All Arounder with Video Build Guide Updated!

Hi guys, Tech Here
Wanted to get this live so as soon as PoB updates I can get the video out and the updated PoB. I played this last league, before the giant buffs essentially gave us 23 gems for both. The PoB will have a very robust Notes section which will answer most questions. I have made some changes since 3.16 which are adding a staff tree and a dual wield tree. Has 5 Layouts for gear in PoB with an all blue set up to very high investment gearing for both dual wielding and staff users.

I would recommend staff's for newer players where dual wielding will require more rare crafting knowledge. I have broken down most categories with Spoilers and will edit this post once PoB is updated so it is current.

Updated skill gems per Patch Notes:
Spoiler

Blade Blast: Now deals 11 to 17 Physical Damage at gem level 1 (unchanged), up to 309 to 464 at gem level 20 (previously 210 to 315). Now has 70% Effectiveness of Added Damage at all gem levels (previously 50%).

Bladefall: Now deals 43 to 65 Physical Damage at gem level 1 (previously 44 to 66), up to 595 to 893 at gem level 20 (previously 411 to 617). Now has 140% Effectiveness of Added Damage at all gem levels (previously 90%).

This is an extremely large buff considering the previous version worked well in 3.16.

Video Update 3.18 Suggested builds https://youtu.be/IdlUIRlT1zI
Spoiler
Video Guide:3.17 Build Guide https://youtu.be/ZiEUPlkoShQ

Spoiler
3.16 Build guide video https://youtu.be/TMj8s58u3R4

Pro/Con:
Spoiler

Pros
+ Very in-depth PoB with leveling and a robust notes section.
+ Safe and malleable on defenses, Can run evasion pieces to get spell suppression then run Brass Dome with the Juggernaut ascendancy "Unbreakable" with the new jewels.
+ Boss Killing and mapping, all in one. This build excels at hybrid(mapping and boss killing). Can use Vaal Righteous Fire and Vaal Haste for large chunky boss damage. The biggest tool of survivability is the ability to move and this build lets you be mobile.
+ Simple early crafting with adding + fire damage to spells, this has massive buffs. Martyr of Innocence is a fantastic early weapon for this that is very strong and very cheap early on.

Cons
- A pain to early league start if you want the highest potential as several gems will be locked behind Library Quest since this is a Marauder.
- Hardcore viability. I am a Softcore player and this build is made in mind for new players. I have not tested this build in HC. It is easily modified to go to block, as we path right by any way.
- Mana sustain can be an issue until you get + mana on hit modifier to a ring (Shaper).

Early Leveling Spell Version:
Spoiler

The early leveling is a pain in the rear if you don't have someone to buy you gems.
However you can just use a melee attack till you get the gems needed.

Level 2 Spells
Fireball and Ethereal Knives

Level 4 Spells
Use EK to clear and add Volley

Level 8 Spells
Use Fireball for boss damage, add Combustion

Level 12 Spells
Absolution + Added Fire damage support + Combustion

Go do Library Quest and get Blade Blast, Bladefall, Spell Cascade.
Unless you drop them or have a friend to purchase for you.

At 38
Bladefall + Unleash + Spell Cascade + Lifetap
Blade Blast + Cruelty + Combustion + Lifetap

Early Leveling Attack Version:
Spoiler

Level 2 Attacks

Molten Strike + Ruthless

Level 4
add Ancestral Call

Level 8

Added Fire Damage Support over Ruthless

Level 18:
Weapon Elemental Damage with Attacks over Added Fire unless you have a 4 link.

28 Attacks
Tectonic Slam + Faster Attacks + Ruthless + Weapon Elemental Damage with Attacks

Level 31 go to library and swap to the spell variant.

Upgrading/Crafting
Spoiler

Boots:
Normal Boots + Quicksilver + Orb of Augmentation = Movement Speed 10% also will upgrade Movement speed by 5% if it has the modifier.

Weapon Upgrades:
Magic Wand/Scepter/Rune Dagger + Topaz Ring + Orb of Alteration gives added x Fire damage to Spells. Rarity of ring effects Tier of mod.
+1 Base, Need X "tagged" gems with at least 40 Quality. Makes a +1 All X Skills Weapon

Ring:
Magic/Rare Ring or Amulet with +x to Chaos Resistance + Orb of Augmentation + Amethyst Flask Reforges with just the chaos resistance roll (ilevel matters)

Unique Item:
60 Unique rings gets you a Loreweave which is a pretty decent chest if you do not want to craft one.

List of all recipes: https://poedb.tw/us/Vendor_recipe_system

Harvest Crafts to Look for:
Critical= good for Weapons and Hunter Chest
Caster= good for Weapons and Hunter Chest (+ level of spell skill gems, Additional Curse, Spell Crit on chest.)

Essence of Anguish adds Fire Damage to Spells on weapon which got massively buffed.
Essence of Woe adds % Spell Damage to Weapons.

Unique Item consideration
Spoiler

The Brass Dome, Loreweave, Replica Eternity Shroud, Kaom's Roots(for potential encounters), Doryani's Delusion with Fire Damage to Spells, Legacy of Fury seems to just apply scorched now which makes them appealing.
Weapons: Heartbreaker, Divinarius, Axiom Perpetuum, Martyr of Innocence. Mageblood for Obvious reasons, Crystallised Omniscience has potential, Melding of the Flesh is insane since we get +100% to Fire Resistances so you can really change your typical gearing, as you can get just fire to 90 then you get 90 to all res. The Annihilating Light will be the biggest DPS increase as long as you can balance resistances.

Path Of Building: https://pastebin.com/Yh4SfgvD
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/hvgf3JiA 3.18

Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/NG1w4T3N edited with gem updates.
Spoiler
3.16 path of Building https://pastebin.com/NAdhYfCM

Better Trading: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/better-pathofexile-tradin/fhlinfpmdlijegjlpgedcmglkakaghnk?hl=en-US
Pre-load: in Video as the forum doesn't like the super long text chain.

Bandit + Ascendancy + Pantheon
Spoiler

Bandit:
Help Alira

Ascendancy:
Nagmahu, Flame's Advance
Hinekora, Death's Fury
Tasilo, Cleansing Water
Ramako, Sun's Light

Pantheon:
Major God - Lunaris for general mapping and Solaris for bossing.
Arakalli offers chaos res
Minor God – Map/boss dependent.
Garuhan can be solid for the movement speed.
Yugul is excellent for Elder and Uber Elder fights (cold damage)
Gruthkul offers solid phys damage reduction and - attack speed for enemies
Ralakesh is decent for lab farming or Trials
Ryslatha is great for areas with no mobs, like Trials or Lab.
Shakari is good for maps that have poison mod, or poison bosses.

Socials
Last edited by Super_Secret on May 17, 2022, 11:00:37 AM
Last bumped on May 15, 2022, 3:49:04 PM
Hi, I've been trolling around for a league starter for 3.17, and I've always wanted to go back to BF/BB even after the nerf.
I do have a small question about the PoB though.

In the PoB some of the masteries are allocated incorrectly, or they simply display incorrectly in PoB itself. But one of the Fire Masteries is the "Fire DoT Multi/ -Fire Res.". Since we don't rely on Ignite in any way, aside from the Life Recovery mastery, why gimp the build with negative Fire Res.?

I'm looking forward to your response, and the updated PoB in the near future.
Fire res was basically a non issue as getting the 100 free, so it was just extra damage with essentially no down side.
quick question. I was playing around with the previous build to get a sense of it.

Noting I am not overly knowledgeable, I am uncertain how you are generating any mana at all - I drain my mana with one cast - and you don't use mana pots that I can see.

I presume I am missing something obvious but worth asking !

edit, correction, I now see the +3 mana per hit on one of the rings. Will have to find a ring like that and give it a try.
Last edited by Gander on Feb 1, 2022, 9:23:18 PM
Another thing which works is Lifetap until you get those rings.

"
Gander wrote:
quick question. I was playing around with the previous build to get a sense of it.

Noting I am not overly knowledgeable, I am uncertain how you are generating any mana at all - I drain my mana with one cast - and you don't use mana pots that I can see.

I presume I am missing something obvious but worth asking !

edit, correction, I now see the +3 mana per hit on one of the rings. Will have to find a ring like that and give it a try.
How is the aoe on this build now? Someone told me its harder to overlap the explosions, I have never played Bladeblast/Fall so I was thinking about league starting it.
The AoE does spread more now as to get a good blade number you need spell cascade, you can couple it with conc to get a smaller spread for bosses and the helm enchant with 75% increased detonation is really big for killing bosses.

"
ghostl00l wrote:
How is the aoe on this build now? Someone told me its harder to overlap the explosions, I have never played Bladeblast/Fall so I was thinking about league starting it.
Why do you go crit, if you can only achieve 13% critical strike chance?
seems almost more worth it to drop crit and go EO
That was an error I had an incorrect gem socketed, uploaded a corrected pob link which should indicate why with an 84% crit chance!
"
IdlyKing wrote:
Why do you go crit, if you can only achieve 13% critical strike chance?
seems almost more worth it to drop crit and go EO
Greetings :)

two things i noticed
1. Your Discord Link expired - maybe you should renew it
2. in your PoB Notes section you write "topaz Ring" for added fire damage craft - should be Ruby Ring

Ty for your effort in this build!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info