Game Balance in Siege of the Atlas

"
Slicer9875 wrote:
"
Valkaneer wrote:
I was really hoping to see some changes to Mines so we could play them again and be competitive. All mine builds together are about .2% of the pie. That's basically no one paying mines due to nerfs, not because people find unfun.

I liked traps more than mines, similar playstyle but traps felt so much better, going around pressing detonate mines isn't really my idea of a good time compared to traps triggering on their own when monsters step on them or via chain reaction.

Animation cancelling with minefield is also annoying.

Understandable, but I like Icicle Mines. It was hard enough to make without being a Delve runner before, since the nerf, no one plays them anymore unless you have boatloads of currency to overcome the nerfs. You need a LOT of mana reserve for defensives like Determination, and that means you don't have the mana needed for 17 mine reservations.
Last edited by Valkaneer on Jan 25, 2022, 12:06:21 AM
Well, you're walking D3 path -- a very dangerous path, indeed. Instead of players being able to create a working build using little gear, you're forcing more and more dependence on randomised loot machine outcomes.

Yes, 6-T1 BIS gear with proper enchant and corruptions will provide far more damage output. Only that nobody will have it (singles that will are statistical noise). All the rest will suffer a significant DPS hit (depending on their build) -- and total most were already struggling to get at least some damage while maintaining at least minimal survivability. So the list of unviable builds is getting longer, and list of viable builds is getting shorter while demanding more and more playtime.

Instead of adding engagement to the late game by expanding endgame systems (Delve, Syndicate, Conquerors, Elders, etc), you add more and more power creep unattainable by players, yet balance the game around it. Selfcast isn't popular not because it's that bad, it's because if you're standing still for even a little bit, you're dead. THAT is the problem. Another problem is time-gating total most gameplay mechanics, be it endgame bosses that destroy the arena with DOT areas or literally time-gated Temple or Scourge. You can't have low DPS and still be viable. AND you're taking DPS nerf every major update. AND opponents are getting stronger, double-dipping on all that. It's a downward spiral.

The problem, I think, is coming from "effective management" deciding winning the game is supposed to be gated to normally unattainable levels of gameplay, instead of being just difficult. Perhaps it will learn from this. But most probably it won't.
Really hope these buffs are going to be significant. Tired of feeling underpowered.
"
Ashriel wrote:
"
The Poet's Pen, Cospri's Malice and Mjölner have had their cooldown on triggering socketed spells increased to 0.25 seconds (previously 0.15 seconds). This change affects existing items.

Ah yes. Back to the good old days when we forgot the players liked faster global cooldowns.

If nerfing the CoC gem and CoC items is what it takes to make self casting good, I'd rather self-casting stay completely unviable.

Also, revert Discharge.

so much this. instead of making self cast viable and fun on its own they nerf coc again to make selfcast look better. just delete self cast if you cant make it decent with out screwing over other builds.
"
Shade_RU_N53 wrote:

The problem, I think, is coming from "effective management" deciding winning the game is supposed to be gated to normally unattainable levels of gameplay, instead of being just difficult. Perhaps it will learn from this. But most probably it won't.

It's the Elitist mentality that PoE has. The top players and GGG think end game should only be attainable by a very few that have spent hundreds and maybe thousands of hours playing.

I see it said all the time. "It's ok that end game is only attainable by a few builds". That's because they control the money and items that use those builds. I didn't find out till this last league that there are guilds in the game that buy up everything they can for certain builds so that they control the market as much as they can and flow of items to the builds that can do end game.
Last edited by Valkaneer on Jan 25, 2022, 12:16:32 AM
nerf traps and buff mines come on xDDD
Damn, the Storm Orb got neft :(
pls buff SO spectre again
Y E S
Hmmmm nerf, nerf, nerf ...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info