To accept a challenge from the Void is merely suicide for the unprepared.

Hello everyone, now that the league has started and the card is actually in the game I feel it is a good time to talk about it.

Despite it being teased like around the 7th of October!
Here
And here!

So I'd like to just talk about my thought process with the card and such!

The name and flavor text.
Spoiler
So originally I was thinking of calling the card "The Guardian's Crucible" and have the flavor text be along the lines of "Enter the Crucible and prove that your Light shines brighter than the Dark!"

It was all in a reference to Destiny (or rather Destiny 2 since I never played Destiny 1) and the PvP mode Crucible and well the fact the player characters are called Guardians and they wielded powers from the Light buuut I felt it was a bit too on the nose and that the reference would have been caught right away and then denied.

So I decided to change it to Guardian's Challenge and the flavor text to be a reference to two things.

1. A nod to a time where the Shaper Guardians were called Guardians of the Void

2. The feeling of reaching these guys at the center of the Atlas for the first time and going into their fights blind. It was safe to say I got my ass handed to be and died several times not knowing how their fights worked. Hence "suicide for the unprepared."

The card art.
Spoiler
So on the previous note of Guardian's Crucible, I was going to have the art just have like a player character charging into the Guardian of the Phoenix. As out of the four, they were my favorite!

Though as for the current art, I figured why not have the Guardians appear in the order that you socket their fragments into the map device to fight Shaper. It's simple sure but hey I used to only play like nothing but totem builds so I am okay with simple!

Why a Shaper Guardian map? Why not an Elder Guardian map!
Spoiler
It's because The Shaper is like my absolute favorite thing in PoE! I still miss him talking to you when you first entered a new map. I felt like it gave the areas you were roaming around in a bit more flavor.

But I digress, the point is I chose Shaper Guardians as I really enjoyed The Shaper and I enjoyed fighting all four of his Guardians. Also felt it'd be a bit more fun to get a Shaper Guardian map than say just be given a Shaper fragment. If GGG would even allow such a thing but hey The Eldritch Decay card exists so probably not out of the question.

Also I'm not exactly a huge fan of The Elder... Chasing him around the Atlas and trying to get him to take the center was a pain for me so not too fond of that. His Guardians fights are neat though!

Why a white (unmodded) map?
Spoiler
First time I tried to fight the Shaper Guardians, I did so on a map with zero mods. So yeah guess that kind of says how bad my builds were at the time if I couldn't beat them on their maps with no mods!

Will you do a card for an Elder Guardian Map?
Spoiler
Maybe? It'd go hand in hand with my card. I know cards can be stuff that can regularly drop so not too out of the question... I think?

Do you know where your card drops?
Spoiler
I have zero idea as that is something I couldn't decide. Hope it's not too rare though!

Other card ideas
Spoiler
This wasn't the first idea that came to mind. I was thinking of maybe getting a card that gave you a six linked Oro's Sacrifice. As during the Ritual league, I did a flicker strike raider build using that sword and it was a whole lot of fun! As for what the card might have been called, I was thinking Blade of Armageddon... yes it would have been a reference to another game.

Shout out to all of my fellow Lord Knights! Errr... Knight Emperors? I honestly haven't been keeping up with the game in ages.

Will you do other cards?
Spoiler
Maybe! Also if GGG allows it. Noticed for a while the whole design a divination card thing listed at the bottom for the bigger core packs kinda went poof. So not sure if it's still possible.

So yeah! That's that! It's really nice to have something you made get put into the game. I'd like to thank GGG for working with me designing the card and adding it into the game!

Stay sane Exiles!
Last bumped on Oct 25, 2021, 2:09:07 PM
Thanks for supporting.
What he said. Also, despite telling the old fart to shut up and lets blow this map already, every time, I miss ez shelder influence jockeying and ez hideout farming.

I never had a crash from elder squigs or shaper goons showing up but I had to ignore sirus for weeks so Baranites wouldn't show up and cause my pc to crash. I never had to ignore shaper. I had the same PC I have now but always got to engage with endgame content to teh best of my ability. Not that I always had a build that could survive a good shaper. It was there if and when I was ready, and all failures were my own.

The good old days.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
crunkatog wrote:
What he said. Also, despite telling the old fart to shut up and lets blow this map already, every time, I miss ez shelder influence jockeying and ez hideout farming.

I never had a crash from elder squigs or shaper goons showing up but I had to ignore sirus for weeks so Baranites wouldn't show up and cause my pc to crash. I never had to ignore shaper. I had the same PC I have now but always got to engage with endgame content to teh best of my ability. Not that I always had a build that could survive a good shaper. It was there if and when I was ready, and all failures were my own.

The good old days.

Yeah Baranites are rough and Sirus popping up to clap you out of existence wasn't a fun time for me either. Wandering around and next thing I hear is rain of stars in a very enclosed map and just chowing on those surprise meteors as they hit me in the face. Sirus wasn't a good time for me, especially if he takes like a really powerful rare and starts slapping you with it. I swear he always takes the ones I put ghosts in.

His conquerors were not so bad. Except maybe the Hunter if I forgot an anti-poison flask.

Sirus himself I feel is an extremely buggy fight. From when he came out to now I feel his fight is still somewhat janky and broken. That and occasionally I forget to put in the anti-corrupted blood jewel and just proceed to watch in terror my life globe drain like mad.

Shaper I felt if I died to him it was totally 100% my fault. Sure the loot might not be worth much anymore and the only reason to do it now is to get an Uber Elder fragment but hey I still enjoyed the fight!

War for the Atlas I did ultimately enjoy, even if again I wasn't so good at trying to get The Elder into where I wanted him to go or I ran out of maps The Shaper occupied that's blocking him. Elder Guardians were neat and the Elder fight himself wasn't so hard, even if it was Red Elder. Uber Elder however just claps me out of existence as oh boy he teamed up with The Shaper!
Think closest I got was both of them at 50% health.

But yeah, good times!
"
Bass956 wrote:
"
crunkatog wrote:

Shaper I felt if I died to him it was totally 100% my fault. Sure the loot might not be worth much anymore and the only reason to do it now is to get an Uber Elder fragment but hey I still enjoyed the fight!

War for the Atlas I did ultimately enjoy, even if again I wasn't so good at trying to get The Elder into where I wanted him to go or I ran out of maps The Shaper occupied that's blocking him. Elder Guardians were neat and the Elder fight himself wasn't so hard, even if it was Red Elder. Uber Elder however just claps me out of existence as oh boy he teamed up with The Shaper!
Think closest I got was both of them at 50% health.

But yeah, good times!

The part where yo had to do the same 2-3 maps dozens of times to wiggle a tentacle towards the centre, was probably the worst part and would drain your map pool fast. And then if you left it like that, it would eat away your progress...not fun and I can see why they changed it.

Probably the last time the atlas (and the postgame in general) had any sort of storyline, too. The classic action horror thriller motiv where Daddy No! is a thing...seemed like the devs and writers were genuinely having fun making the game, rather than today when it seems even coming up with the crap for new seasons feels like it must have been a chore.

"oh so the colour theme this season is Red. Krangling and bricking, got it. Players get a blood bucket they have to fill and dump into something. Except we had blood buckets 2 leagues ago, and we can't call them blood buckets, we need to think of a new name. Man I wish there was a lavender or sea-green league coming up. My eyes are bad enough with all the black-on-black screen shit from metamorph and harvest. Designing these things is hard enough when you can see what you're doing."
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Last edited by crunkatog on Oct 25, 2021, 1:12:39 PM
"
crunkatog wrote:

The part where yo had to do the same 2-3 maps dozens of times to wiggle a tentacle towards the centre, was probably the worst part and would drain your map pool fast. And then if you left it like that, it would eat away your progress...not fun and I can see why they changed it.

Probably the last time the atlas (and the postgame in general) had any sort of storyline, too. The classic action horror thriller motiv where Daddy No! is a thing...seemed like the devs and writers were genuinely having fun making the game, rather than today when it seems even coming up with the crap for new seasons feels like it must have been a chore.

"oh so the colour theme this season is Red. Krangling and bricking, got it. Players get a blood bucket they have to fill and dump into something. Except we had blood buckets 2 leagues ago, and we can't call them blood buckets, we need to think of a new name. Man I wish there was a lavender or sea-green league coming up. My eyes are bad enough with all the black-on-black screen shit from metamorph and harvest. Designing these things is hard enough when you can see what you're doing."

Yeah that's what it felt like most of the time. Just trying to wrangle him where you want then it goes up in smoke when you don't have the map that Shaper is on when he blocks you.

I did enjoy Shaper's story in Atlas of Worlds. From what you were able to find in those fragments on maps. Sure they re-did his story a bit when they introduced the Elder but it was still neat.

As for colours of the leagues...yeah lets see. Ritual was red. Ultimatum was red. Then we got like a grey/blue with Expedition annnnd we're back to red for Scourge!

Some more blue or purple leagues would be nice, but that's just my own bias on favorite colors!

But yeah sometimes popping into a Scourge it's a bit rough seeing what the mobs are doing, not only from being swarmed but they also blend in with the landscape. I don't mind the blood bucket, though so far it hasn't treated me well and gave me some really odd items with the corruptions.

Some of the demons do look pretty cool when you don't have a million things happening at once. So props to the design team as usual!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info