⭐ Your Scourge Final Impressions? ⭐ ⋆Updated⋆

Update - November 9th, 2021: It has been quite a few days since I've logged into the league at this point. I play solo and don't run with a group. I don't play higher tier maps till much, much later in the league. As a result, my drops have been extra scarce. I also feel like the particular way in which I choose to utilize the basic league mechanic just isn't providing me with an ample amount of value for my time. I'm just not feeling it.

One of the main attractions for me in a fresh league is selling rare jewels in my trade tab to other players. I rolled several decent jewels, all of which had '% max life', and only two of them sold for around 9c, the rest are just sitting there rotting in my trade tab; I even undervalued them (by a lot). I am pretty disappointed in that regard. Also, low tier currency I collect every league to pay for items (chromes, fusings, ect.) are all hugely inflated in value and not worth much at all at the moment (Streamers and their buddies must be having loot 'splosions in their juiced scourge maps, good for them I guess?). This league was not designed for me, and that's okay. I'm a longtime player (since 2013), but I'm not a 'min-maxer', and I don't play 'juiced' content. All I'll do is 4x chisel a rare map at the very most. I am clearly not the target audience of this league.

I'm more than likely never going to play 'Scourge' the way the 'Devs' intended it to be played. Adding fuel to the fire, the 'Blood Crucible' items are still 'meme tier' and incredibly hilarious 'brick items.' Instead of hotfixing that, they hotfixed the aura stacking bug https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3204029. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they fixed the unintentional aura interaction, but my goodwill with this league has run its course. A few of us 'old timers' don't have 'infinite amounts of patience' anymore like newer players tend to have. I've since uninstalled to clear up space for other games, and will more than likely be back next league to check out what plans 'GGG' have for their game in the future.

For now I'm probably going to spend my time playing 'Valheim', 'Deep Rock Galactic', and 'Stellaris' (since I've just acquired a bunch of DLCs for it). I'm looking forward to having fun (just not in 'POE' at this present point in time).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update - November 3rd, 2021: I would like the majority of people who've given initial feedback to start segueing from their 'first impressions' to their 'final impressions' on the league. I also recognize that there are still many individuals who might've gotten a late start into the league (but their first impressions are just as important as the first impressions of those of us who dove right in at the start, pre-patch). If you've just started the league recently, you're still more than welcome to give your 'first impressions' here. I still believe that quite a bit of the 'non homogeneous' feedback gathered in this thread from various players (condensed in one place) served (and continues to serve) as a useful resource for 'GGG' to analyze the core 'positives and negatives' reflective in the overall player experience.

I've developed a few more 'positive/neutral/negative' opinions on the league. However, I'm not ready to discuss them 'in-length' just yet until I've had more time to tinker around with the late game mechanics. I try my best to be fair-minded in my initial and final assessments of game mechanics and leagues. I also recognize that each and every individual's experience differs based on their own innate game knowledge, the time they have available to play, the strength of their builds, and their personal overarching goals for each league.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update - October 27th, 2021: To give you a relative idea, several of the mobs in the 'nightmare realm' feel like they hit harder than 'T16' mobs of the previous league (Expedition), and I'm only in 'T7' maps... The best way I can describe scourge mobs is that 'several types of them' feel as overpowered and bursty as 'Sirus Dominated' mobs, and that is not a positive experience in relation to early game content, or even white/yellow maps. You're just going to get stomped into the ground, over and over again.

I wanted to update my original thread since I've now reached 'T7' maps; I'm also at level 85. I am finding that the league content is rather 'overtuned' in relation to normal mobs, and incredibly hard to survive (even after the most recent hotfix patch). So far my experience 'reward wise' in regards to the 'Blood Crucible' has been very poor. Scourged gear always seems to turn out vendor trash or useless at 'Tier 3.' Something loosely like: '100% reduced spell damage, and in exchange you'll receive 50% increased elemental damage.' Also, because the drops are turning out much worse than I expected, I've set my loot filter to ignore all of the scourged items that drop on the ground. They're nearly all vendor trash just like the items which are forged in the 'Blood Crucible' (Yet I don't hide identified/scourged rings if they've got decent enough life rolls).

Overall, I'm finding almost no currency or value in the league itself (in regards to my personal playstyle), and will more than likely need to revert to older 'core' league content like 'Heist' to be able to make enough currency to upgrade my gear.

In 'T7' maps, I'm sitting at 3.3k hp, 73% (17,069) armor, 79% all ele res, and 24% chaos res. I am getting 'burst down' before I can even blink in some cases (probably aura stacking mobs) that are faster than my 150% movement speed 'Stampede' boots. In other cases, the scourge mobs pose no threat to me and I can stay in the nightmare realm for extended periods of time without any problems (unless they're the ones hitting me with the crazy spell damage). All of my maps are nearly death free, 99% of my deaths are occurring in the span of less than a millisecond in the alternative nightmare realm. All in all, I'm not so sure I'll stick with the league after I hit twelve challenges, as I am losing interest fast.

Original Thread - October 22nd, 2021:
I've only reached level nine so far, yet here are my first impressions.

#1 Positive - I like how you can toggle off the 'Scourge event' as soon as your item is ready to be scourged, allowing you to save some of the progress on your scourge bar.

#2 Negative - I dislike how the progress doesn't carry from zone to zone, would have liked for the bar to stay 'consistent' between zones.

#3 Neutral - Mob density in the scourge realm is very low, but that is probably just because I am still at a lower level and it was designed that way to be more forgiving.

#4 Negative - The timer is too low and expires too fast. I can already see that this league will be extremely punishing towards slower or lower damage builds. I really dislike that as a design choice.

#5 Positive - The new way to modify corrupted gear is extremely cool. You can end up with some really powerful benefits and drawbacks.

#6 Negative - Scourging items was advertised heavily as a 'multi-tiered system', but I cannot figure out how to get my scourge items to tier 2 or 3. There is no progress bar after the first upgrade, and it is not explained well. Because of this, it is not recommended to scourge any gear you're not okay with bricking. If you only get one chance to scourge it (currently that is how it works, probably a bug), there is a high likelihood it will brick and be unusable.

#7 Negative - Flask charges do not reset when you use the blood crucible to shift into nightmare. What this means is if you shift between either the normal or nightmare realm with near empty flask charges, you will have near empty flask charges wherever you are shifting to. This can create awkward situations (which didn't usually happen with Alva master missions) where you're thrust into a large pack of mobs without any charges on your mana or life flasks.

Last edited by TheIronBankofBraavos on Nov 9, 2021, 9:52:37 AM
Last bumped on Nov 9, 2021, 2:09:56 PM
It's horrible! I'm not able to scourge anything past T1, it doesn't give me the option to. even when I put it back into the slot, it just won't go past T1 no matter how many times I run the scourge. I'm only on the ledge and it's already broken ?? Especially since the T1 are always garbage.... Guess I'll wait until the next league....
Last edited by Mentoya on Oct 22, 2021, 5:50:57 PM
Just not very fun for the most part , game is made for the people that play constantly.
"
Oinkus wrote:
Just not very fun for the most part , game is made for the people that play constantly.

I agree, worst league and broken game mechanics in a long time. Probably the first time I'll be quitting on the first day...
Everything feels like a zdps build and still does.
Usually a huge patch is released mid league so just be patient. Just another 6 weeks to go ok.
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
According to chat, GGG is aware that the scourge feature is broken and does not allow you to scourge past T1 and they are currently working on it.... Hopefully they will get it resolved soon...
Last edited by Mentoya on Oct 22, 2021, 6:15:55 PM

in other words i like it also best league start for as i can remember xd

edit: only 1 dc and the only bug can't link unique scourged items in chat
"Now all that's left is for you getting on your knees."
if you know thanks me:) i'm dying to find out x'D
Last edited by satanttin on Oct 22, 2021, 6:26:34 PM
"
satanttin wrote:

in other words i like it also best league start for as i can remember xd

edit: only 1 dc and the only bug can't link unique scourged items in chat

I'm just very shocked that more people aren't complaining about the inability to scourge past T1.... Maybe they weren't aware that you were suppose to be able to scourge past T1, that's the only explanation really,....But if one watches the trailer very carefully, it says that you can scourge ALL items to T3....
Feels like any other league until maps? Have to say good start though on GGG servers.
Git R Dun!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info