End of free week - discussion

"
Maverickroll wrote:
"

Rory just said, in-game, closed beta has about a month to go, though.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts longer. Whatever it takes to get open beta/release as good as possible.

You've been here a while, do you think they'll have Act 3 finished for Open Beta?

I've only been here since late March! I'm a total newbie. Just a rather active one.

Absolutely I think they'll have act 3 finished for Open Beta. Another Diamond who was privy to a little of act 3's content shared with me a few details and I can definitely see how it'll work. Keep in mind, they haven't added any actual level content in a very long time (modifying existing levels doesn't count, guys!), so they've had a while to cook up Act 3. I've also gained a grasp how quickly they work -- for a small team, they're very dynamic and very quick to react.

Whether or not that open beta happens in June as scheduled is another issue. There's no way they'd go Open without two things: all six classes (check) and Act 3 (incoming). Simply no way. And unlike other, larger games, which give a release date and really should stick to it regardless of the cost (pvp from youknowhat, for example), GGG can get away with a delay from Closed to Open simply because Closed isn't really all that closed anymore. They give away keys all the time, you can pre-purchase store credit to get one as well. The game is, in my opinion, in some limbo between true closed beta and true open beta/soft release.

So IF they need to take a bit longer, so be it. But so far, I do believe they're on schedule. For a highly communicative and friendly dev team, they're surprisingly tight lipped about upcoming changes: they were stealthy about putting zoom in, only revealed the Shadow a week before his implementation, and didn't give much warning regarding how hard .9.9 was going to be either. We honestly have no idea just how much of act 3 they've cooked up behind the curtain.

It comes down to faith based on experience, I guess, which is as close to knowledge as we'll ever get. Yes, they will have act 3 by Open Beta. And a better trade system. And a better chat system. And a game-finding mechanic.

By June? We'll see.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
The OBT should be next month.
And a dev said ingame that the beginning of Act 3 is going to be in the game when it goes OBT.
"
Wulfenstein wrote:
"
coffecat wrote:
some have the ability to support, others, sadly just can't.

I have read this answer on more than one occasion, and I still don't understand. If you cannot afford ten dollars to play a video game, how can you afford to waste time playing a video game?

I so lol at this comment... So true.
No food in fridge... Beer it is.
"
Bartholom wrote:
"
chrisp3gg wrote:

1)The atmosphere - this stood out for me. Dark, eerie and full of a sense of foreboding and hopelessness.

i agree - though it feels a lot like age of conan, especially since you basically start the same way (charakter creation on a ship, later washed ashore).

yet, the game is lacking story depth. the towns are way to small, not enough NPCs. and some things make you wonder - where did that large prison come from, who are all that dead people in uniforms at the wardens level? a little scrap of explaining text now and then wouldnt hurt, right now i have no clue why i was even at that beach and why i was brought to wraeclast.

I love the lack of a fully explained story. The beauty of it is it adds to the depth of the game, in my opinion. I want to explore more because I don't know what is going on. I don't know who those people in the prison are or what I will exactly see when I enter the next area. If we already knew what exactly happened on Wraeclast or what we were going to see in the next area then the game wouldn't be as exciting. Let your mind wonder and be creative.
Last edited by deadcult on May 14, 2012, 7:01:12 AM
"
Bartholom wrote:
"
chrisp3gg wrote:

1)The atmosphere - this stood out for me. Dark, eerie and full of a sense of foreboding and hopelessness.

i agree - though it feels a lot like age of conan, especially since you basically start the same way (charakter creation on a ship, later washed ashore).

yet, the game is lacking story depth. the towns are way to small, not enough NPCs. and some things make you wonder - where did that large prison come from, who are all that dead people in uniforms at the wardens level? a little scrap of explaining text now and then wouldnt hurt, right now i have no clue why i was even at that beach and why i was brought to wraeclast.

Really? No clue?

When you selected your character, did there not appear some text explaining a bit of why you were being exiled? =0[.]o=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
I also like the fact that npc's talk for some things, but you still dont know the whole story. I say no to making depth story, but npc's to say small things and becoming like a puzzle.
"
coffecat wrote:
So the free week is end and who knows if there will be any more.

I would like to hear the Developers what think on how the servers are going, is there any huge problems etc?

Do you guys want free week Path of Exile before open beta?
Do you like to play when you know you char will be deleted?
Do you want the game to go straigh open beta if servers are ok?

/Discuss any other questions, feedback to Dev team, or just what you think of the current free week play time.

1. I think it should be open before open beta so players who didn't get a chance to get a beta key or play in the first free week gets a chance to see what the game is about.

2. The game is fun even though everyone knows they will have to start over, but allows them to get a head start knowing what is to come down the road since they already been there

3. I suggest it shouldn't be open if the servers are ok, for the only reason it still needs a little more developing before it is released in my opinion
"
bitedefer wrote:
"
Wulfenstein wrote:
"
coffecat wrote:
some have the ability to support, others, sadly just can't.

I have read this answer on more than one occasion, and I still don't understand. If you cannot afford ten dollars to play a video game, how can you afford to waste time playing a video game?

I so lol at this comment... So true.

lol yes if u cannot afford to pay 10 dollars then you really should be trying to find a job or better income
"
deadcult wrote:
"
Bartholom wrote:
"
chrisp3gg wrote:

I love the lack of a fully explained story. The beauty of it is it adds to the depth of the game, in my opinion. I want to explore more because I don't know what is going on. I don't know who those people in the prison are or what I will exactly see when I enter the next area. If we already knew what exactly happened on Wraeclast or what we were going to see in the next area then the game wouldn't be as exciting. Let your mind wonder and be creative.

This is a major turn-off for me. Story is incredibly important in RPGs. Path of Exile claims to take an old-school approach, and if they don't claim that, they certainly act like they do. I mean, we have spammable potions ffs. There must be a story, and it must be ingrained into the game. Even if it's vague, and a puzzle, that's fine, but it has to be there.

You say you like exploring because you don't know what's around the corner. That's fine, but what's around the corner is another nameless place with bad guys in it. And even if you explore the entire place you will be no more privy to what you're doing than when you first walked in. There is no progression at all, Wraeclast is a suffocating, lifeless, dreary place, and made unbearably so by the lack of any story whatsoever.

The only way the game can get any more bland is by having no story, which it doesn't. The game is like Desolace in vanilla WoW. Such an overly gray eyesore that I quit the game and never looked back.
Playing both PoE AND D3 (and Grim Dawn when it's released).

Deal with it.
"
avengers wrote:

lol yes if u cannot afford to pay 10 dollars then you really should be trying to find a job or better income

As someone who was jobless for awhile last year, I have to disagree.

There's only so much productive time you can spend job hunting each day - check the newspaper, check the online listing, send a few resumes, maybe (if you're luckly) spend a few hours preparing for and going to an interview.

That still leaves 18 hours in the day, at least. Often more. Most days I got up by 9am, and started playing games by noon for the rest of the day.
itsalljustagame.wordpress.com - my blog about all things gaming - Current project - "Communal effort" - Game design by popular vote!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info