[3.17] Havoc209's Low Life Occultist | Essence Drain | Very Beginner Friendly

"
Chumber wrote:
Just wondering, there is no evasion, no block, no armor - how do you plan to survive?
By killing the enemies before we die

No, but for real I have ran this build exactly like this since legion, and I have had no issues. I may need to change up some gems and add a cast on damage taken / immortal call, but that is about all I can foresee
"
verthix wrote:
Could you go over why you think occulist is a better choice over trickster? Really torn between which one to go with.

Thanks!
This is my opinion, but I believe Trickster is better earlier on, I am being told it is 'faster' than the Occultist, but I don't think that's entirely accurate.
There is nothing in the Trickster tree for speed anymore, they completely slaughtered Ghost Dance and Heartstopper seems awful for us, it might be really good for Righteous Fire.

The Chaos reduction from Occultist, is INSANE. The fact you can apply a hex on hexproof enemies, is disgustingly good, and it comes with a 40% chance to explode, making everything that we hit EXPLODE, that sounds really cool and fun!

There is a lot that the Occultist offers, the Occultist offers more damage than the Trickster now, and a lot more survivability that helps. (It's not that much damage, it's only about 100k damage at 4.8 mil dot DPS - the Occultist tree just sounds much better than the Trickster tree)
"
Havoc209 wrote:
"
Chumber wrote:
Just wondering, there is no evasion, no block, no armor - how do you plan to survive?
By killing the enemies before we die

No, but for real I have ran this build exactly like this since legion, and I have had no issues. I may need to change up some gems and add a cast on damage taken / immortal call, but that is about all I can foresee
"
verthix wrote:
Could you go over why you think occulist is a better choice over trickster? Really torn between which one to go with.

Thanks!
This is my opinion, but I believe Trickster is better earlier on, I am being told it is 'faster' than the Occultist, but I don't think that's entirely accurate.
There is nothing in the Trickster tree for speed anymore, they completely slaughtered Ghost Dance and Heartstopper seems awful for us, it might be really good for Righteous Fire.

The Chaos reduction from Occultist, is INSANE. The fact you can apply a hex on hexproof enemies, is disgustingly good, and it comes with a 40% chance to explode, making everything that we hit EXPLODE, that sounds really cool and fun!

There is a lot that the Occultist offers, the Occultist offers more damage than the Trickster now, and a lot more survivability that helps. (It's not that much damage, it's only about 100k damage at 4.8 mil dot DPS - the Occultist tree just sounds much better than the Trickster tree)

Does the explode not interfere with the ED contagion spreading effect?
Last edited by WilliamGoosen on Oct 19, 2021, 8:00:55 PM
it does... i think its better to replace it with vile bastion for the stun immunity.
Came here to post that as well. Unless something changed recently, Profane Bloom fucks up the ED spread.

Wouldn't you be better off taking Vile Bastion instead? Then you could swap out the chalupa amulet and use a hunter neck with like +1/+1 int/chaos.

Edit: You're also reserving near 100% of your life with the builds and picking up the +1 chaos mastery, you're going to be losing 10% of your life every time you cast essence drain and contagion, so you'd need at least 21% unreserved life, along with a way to regain that hp (life flask?)
Last edited by Vath on Oct 20, 2021, 2:42:04 PM
"
it does... i think its better to replace it with vile bastion for the stun immunity.
Hm okay, I will need to do some more testing then... I feel like being able to curse a hexproof monster overlaps it.
I've heard great things about it from some

I won't be able to test it much until after the weekend.. I just so happen to be moving this entire weekend, which kind of sucks.
Very unfortunate timing
Last edited by Havoc209 on Oct 22, 2021, 3:53:23 AM
You addressed this a bit in the expensive gear section spoiler at the bottom but I believe the flat Damage over Time multiplier isn't a default mod on bows anymore so might want to update those search urls :)

Thanks for the guide.
"
Havoc209 wrote:
Hm okay, I will need to do some more testing then... I feel like being able to curse a hexproof monster overlaps it.
I've heard great things about it from some

The last time I played ED Occultist the explosion was very noticeable and annoying in stopping the spread of ED/Contagion (mind you, that was several leagues ago). I don't know if overcoming Hexproof is good for endgame bosses, but the node definitely impairs rather than helping clear.
It works really well with Soulrend/Bane however.
Pickup these gems from Nessa and level in off-hand: 6x Essence Drain Gems (Yes 6, you will level these for later)

For what?
(sry iam dumb)
"
Pickup these gems from Nessa and level in off-hand: 6x Essence Drain Gems (Yes 6, you will level these for later)

For what?
(sry iam dumb)

Pretty sure you level them so you have a bunch of spares to try and get that lvl 21 base Essence drain gem.
In the Act 5 part of the leveling section, you mention picking up the Spreading Rot jewel with a screenshot of where you put it in the tree. That's with Trickster in mind though by the looks of it. I think I found the spot (right below Pain Attunement), but it was pretty confusing!

Other than that, greatly enjoying this build so far! Just hit Act 5 and all I really need to do is throw Bane around with Despair, Enfeeble and Temporal Chains linked, only really throwing ED and Contagion on stronger packs and bosses. Feels a little squishy though, but my gear might be somewhat to blame for that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info