[3.16] Physical crit SST Scion (Berserker+Assassin) | Budget | Rough guide + call for help

here I am trying to make a build of my own for once: Physical SST Scion. We got a decent basis (~1M DPS with budget gear), but I need some pointers to get the build to the next level :)

Now incorporates the 3.16 changes!
PoB used 3.15 gem values, SST base damage should be 20% less :( how this directly translates to the values I do not know yet. Just assume 20% less damage for now

Summary
Path of Building (community fork): https://pastebin.com/E0F5U5jM
Spoiler

Gear
Spoiler

(POB uses the nerfed 3.16 version)

Tree

Numbers
Based on current equipment and 3.16 tree:

~ Average damage
Spoiler

Config: Sirus, power charges (3), 30 rage, Elusive, blood stance, enemy is blinded, crit recently, Sniper's Mark, Silver+Diamond+10% AS on Quartz, nothing for projectile distance (for Point Blank, I think that gives average)

20% less = ~976.025 DPS

~ Optimal conditions
Spoiler

Config: Sirus, power charges (3), 60 rage, Elusive, blood stance, enemy is blinded, crit recently, Sniper's Mark, Silver+Diamond+Quartz with 10% AS, 15 projectile distance (for Point Blank), Ancestral Protector, Vaal Haste buff

20% less = ~1.789.813 DPS

A bit of my background for those interested:
Spoiler

I didn't play since Incursion (3.3), hence there are a lot of new skills/mechanics that I do not know about. Killed shaper before...once :). I got the most fun out of trying various different builds on softcore until ~level 90 rather than pushing one build to boss killing end-game. With these commitment issues, budget builds are mostly my way to go.

I always found the versatility and being 'the underdog' of the Scion to have a certain charm, hence the choice. For it being phyiscal damage, that seemed the easiest to think about for now. I am sure there are better alternatives for this type of build and you are free to share, but that is not the point here!

---

Main idea
Spectral Shield Throw using Seething Fury and a high EV/ES shield (such as Leper's Alms). High EV gives us decent SST damage and the ES crit chance and multiplier. Going pure physical seems the best for this type of build. Note that the linked jewel is the unnerfed one I have, in 3.16 the +0.2% crit per 10 ES goes down to +0.15% per 10 ES. PoB uses the nerfed jewel values (Thanks NatesScrewed for the Seething Fury suggestion, I didn't know it existed when starting to make this concept.)

Gem setup
Spoiler

Main skill 4(/5/6)L:
Spoiler
Spectral Shield Throw - Vicious Projectiles - Brutality - Impale (-Increased Critical Damage) (-Maim)

Nothing out of the ordinary here. We can easily compensate for the less attack speed from Vicious Projectiles and have enough crit chance to just keep adding more crit multiplier. This setup seems to exhaust most of the available gems for physical projectile attacks.

Auras:
Spoiler
Flesh and Stone + Herald of Purity + Dread Banner + Precision

Flesh and Stone can be used offensively and defencifly based on the situation. Herald of Purity gives us more physical damage and some minions to deal damage and distract enemies away from us. Dread banner to improve our impales. Precision for the necessary accuracy and crit chance. We can allow all of these auras and still have 17% unreserved mana due to the Attack Mastery that gives 50% increased reservation efficiency for stance skills (Flesh and Stone in this case).

Since we are using Point Blank I tried to play around with swapping Herald of Purity for Pride and taking an aura wheel and mastery to compensate for the increased mana reservation, but nothing definity there yet.

Offensive buffs:
Spoiler
Ice Golem + Ancestral Protector

Ice Golem provides us the necessary accuracy and crit chance. Place down Ancestral Protector during bosses for more AS (its damage is negligible). Note that Ancestral Protector provides simply more AS, whereas Ancestral Warchief provides more physical damage only for melee attacks.

Defensive buffs:
Spoiler
High level Steel skin + low level Cast When Damage Taken+Immortal call

Steel skin on your walk button will provide a bit of extra mitigation about ~1/3 of the time, which is better than nothing. CWDT+Immortal call for a bit of mitigation when we do get hit. Since we are evasion based, we have nothing to do with Molten Shell.

Curses:
Spoiler
Sniper's Mark (self cast)

Self cast because unfortunately it is not available on rings, but that allows us to use the highest gem level for more damage. We have enough crit chance that we don't have to choose between Sniper's and Assassin's mark.

Move:
Spoiler
Leap Slam - Faster Attacks

Because of our high attack speed, Leap Slam feels amazing. Perhaps Shield Charge is even quicker, but I dislike that it cannot jump over gaps and cannot move through enemies.

Skill tree and passives
Spoiler
level 90:

We are mainly looking for: crit, phys/shield damage, life, attack speed, and spell suppresion.

Pathing down via the life wheel gives us Iron grip, rage nodes, jewel socket, and shield nodes. The duelist start provides us with a bit of life and damage before going further right. When pathing down to Point Blank, we encounter an easy to grab leech node, crit/blind wheel, mark wheel, impale wheel, Wind Dancer, and a bit more life. Then we move up towards more crit nodes grabbing life, spell suppresion, and physiscal damage along the way. When reeching Assassination, we basically exhausted that part of the tree. Hence, we take the crit nodes near the scion start via the AS nodes and grabbing a 1-point jewel socket to complete our current tree.

(leveling trees might be added later)

Bandits and Pantheon:
Spoiler

Alira or kill all

Alira is the easy option, because we use everything she provides. Kill all for more life % on the tree. Perhaps there are some nice alterations in the tree possible that require more points to work.

Pantheon is whatever you like. My main go-to is Lunaris and Ralakesh

Gear
Spoiler

Seething Fury enables this build to be crit as it provides off-hand critical strike chance, which we would otherwise not have on the shield. Note that POB uses the nerfed 3.16 version.

Leper's Alms is a cheap unique that gives us damage, a bit of life, and a bit of defence via Shared Suffering (Wiki: All Damage from (your) Hits will cause Elemental Ailments you are suffering. Elemental Ailments you inflict are removed from you. Elemental Ailments are: ignite, chill, freeze, shock, scorch, brittle, and sap)

Improving upon this cheap unique becomes costly very quickly, but can provide amazing other bonusses.

Because we don't use any local stats of the main hand weapon, we can only benefit from global modifiers they provide. Prismatic Eclipse (3 green sockets) is another cheap unique, which gives us a decent chunk of global AS and accuracy and it being a sword allows us to use Leap Slam as our movement skill.

Starkonja's is another cheap unique which has many of the things we seek: crit chance, life, and evasion (which is more effective in 3.16). It only lacks resistances, but we can compensate in our other gear. Look for "40% increased Spectral Throw Damage" as helmet enchants.

Since we do not care about our main hand weapon, we can use Sinistral Gloves as a nice base for a bit of extra damage.

I picked up this decent 6-link on the cheap. You can get away with practically anything as long as it got some life and resistances. There are better alternatives, but those come, of course, at a higher price. Belly of the Beast is such an alternative, which should be easily affordable as a 5-link to start).

I filled all other slots with randomly found gear with life+resistances.

Life flask with bleed remove speaks for itself. Silver flask for ontslaught, giving us increased AS and movement speed. Diamond flask for increased critical strike chance. Quartz flask because I didnt seek out a better alternative yet. Mana flask is sometimes necessary when missing some attacks and our regen is too slow to get going quickly again.

Since we are using brutality (deal no elemental or chaos damage) we are very limited in our choices of unique flasks which normally provide a chunk of damage (e.g. Sin's Rebirth). Bottled Faith can be used, but is expensive.

Defensive layers
Spoiler

The dodge/EV/blind changes impacted this builds defences heavily, will come back to this once I tried out the build in 3.16 and found out what feels nice.

Other considerations/questions:
Spoiler

- I am aware of the existence of cluster jewels, but no idea how to craft them effectively or what to look for when buying.

- Pure Talent seems a noob trap. Perhaps there are better alternatives with more impact on the build

- Better way to cope with relatively high attacks per second with limited mana leech? (currently sticking to my mana flask whenever I miss a few throws and don't leech)

- Can chain hook be made a movement skill where it pulls you to the selected location, GGG (rage generation only on hitting enemies)? That would feel epic I think!

Old versions
Spoiler

- 3.15 crit version: https://pastebin.com/vkgYTHar
- 3.15 RT version: https://pastebin.com/TUmPijA

Thanks for reading! With this post I am mainly interested in the opinions/ideas/suggestions about this build and learn from them. I know this isn't a fully optimized build, but we have to start somewhere I suppose. If you need more info or have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.
Last edited by th3liusfr0mnl on Oct 20, 2021, 5:26:29 PM
Last bumped on Nov 4, 2021, 2:14:06 AM
Resolute Technique is not the best, it is only an option if you're a Glad with LOTS of block. Investing in Crit will make the build much more playable. If you get a rare evasion/es shield you could use the Jewel and getting lots of crit chance/crit multi will be much easier.
Okay, I can take a look at that. Thanks! I'm not sure what jewel you are referring to. Cluster jewels with crit-related notables?

Then again, where would I get a reasonable base crit-chance from, as shields inherently have none. Going for the assassin sub-class, 'pure talent' jewel (+0.5% crit chance if connected to shadow start), and/or increased critical strikes gem?

EDIT: I'm dumb. I searched for shield-related unique jewels but you are referring to the 'seething fury', which mentions 'off-hand' rather than 'shield'. View new POB in the main post for the crit edition
Last edited by th3liusfr0mnl on Sep 29, 2021, 7:21:39 AM
"
th3liusfr0mnl wrote:
Okay, I can take a look at that. Thanks! I'm not sure what jewel you are referring to. Cluster jewels with crit-related notables?

Then again, where would I get a reasonable base crit-chance from, as shields inherently have none. Going for the assassin sub-class, 'pure talent' jewel (+0.5% crit chance if connected to shadow start), and/or increased critical strikes gem?

EDIT: I'm dumb. I searched for shield-related unique jewels but you are referring to the 'seething fury', which mentions 'off-hand' rather than 'shield'. View new POB in the main post for the crit edition

Have in mind that the SST was nerfed. The actual Flat physical its around 400máx on level 20.
And 5-7 for every 10 armour/ev on shield.
Since the tree was updated in PoB I assumed that the new gem values were incorporated already as well! I see now that the gem itself still has the 3.15 values... sooo quick calculation here

base dmg + 1000 EV dmg
3.15: 399~599 + (6*1000 ~ 8*1000) = 6399-8599
3.16: 203~304 + (5*1000 ~ 7*1000) = 5203-7304
----- diff
~19% less minimal damage
~15% less maximum damage

So about 17% less base damage and a bit higher attack time. Lets assume 20% less damage for now. I will mention it in the main post and I will try to incorporate that into the PoB somehow
Last edited by th3liusfr0mnl on Oct 20, 2021, 3:13:08 PM
I played a SST Bleed Glad in 3.15 so I thought to try this build. That glad lasted until yellow maps at least. This Scion gets absolutely bodied in Act 5.
what alocate can i use for the amulet to this build ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info