Regarding 6/5 Linked Items- Please Nerf!

6 Linked items are far too common now along with 5 Linked. For a game like this it should take at least 6+ months of playing to get a 6L item. A 6L item no matter what mods are on that item gives you a drastic increase in DPS or Utility making it on par with a godly item. I have yet to see anything resemble godly yet, but we had 10+ 6 Links in game during .9.8 and who knows how many 5 Links. 4 Linked sockets is the norm, any character can build around using 4.

I know I was singing a different tune months ago when I was absolutely furious over fusing and jewelers, but after some time, I have realized that it was better the way it was before, and I was wrong. I myself have owned 20+ 5 linked items and 2 6 linked chests. In both cases of the 6L I couldn't find anything really useful to stuff in the 6th spot so I just used Item Quantity.

tl;dr: 5 link should be very very difficult to obtain and a 6 link should be mirror rare/ borderline impossible. Rates of obtaining a 6L should be about 10% of what they are now.
Last edited by Worldbreaker on May 12, 2012, 2:01:38 PM
It is like a miracle to see these kind of topics actually, mostly what we see is pure whinings unfortunately.

Totally agree with OP.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
I wrote in other thread more drastic solution.
Removing 5 and 6 linked items from game ,but i was talking then about skill balancing ,skill variety.

Since 5-6 linked items you can wear is limited ,wery limited ,comparing to you maximum possible skill pool.
You end boosting just 1 or 2 skill radiculusy higher than the rest ,without giving the rest any chance to even be used ,with leave you with 1-2 attack skills and rest pure utility.

And IMO thats uber boring.
"
Worldbreaker wrote:
6 Linked items are far too common now along with 5 Linked. For a game like this it should take at least 6+ months of playing to get a 6L item. A 6L item no matter what mods are on that item gives you a drastic increase in DPS or Utility making it on par with a godly item. I have yet to see anything resemble godly yet, but we had 10+ 6 Links in game during .9.8 and who knows how many 5 Links. 4 Linked sockets is the norm, any character can build around using 4.

I know I was singing a different tune months ago when I was absolutely furious over fusing and jewelers, but after some time, I have realized that it was better the way it was before, and I was wrong. I myself have owned 20+ 5 linked items and 2 6 linked chests. In both cases of the 6L I couldn't find anything really useful to stuff in the 6th spot so I just used Item Quantity.

tl;dr: 5 link should be very very difficult to obtain and a 6 link should be mirror rare/ borderline impossible. Rates of obtaining a 6L should be about 10% of what they are now.

Dat hypocrisy. You got what you wanted now, stop qqing
Linked items seem to be up all around, even outside of 5-6 linked items. I've been finding crap tons of 3 linked items during my run through act 2 normal, more then I feel like I was used to seeing before 9.9

Not sure if this is a side effect of the loot changes or something intended by the devs (I don't recall seeing any specific patch notes for it).

It does seem to trivialize some things a bit.
Diamond Supporter since 2012-04-24.
Since there were no patch notes about it, that means it wasn't changed. It's just variance/randomness.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
"
unsane wrote:
Since there were no patch notes about it, that means it wasn't changed. It's just variance/randomness.

That's a very silly assumption. You could definitely say, it may not have been intentionally changed, but it's always possible for it to be a bug or unintended side effect of the other loot changes that have been implemented (keep in mind, loot has changed twice now, with the blues drop rate in 0.9.9 and then the boss loot change updates in 0.9.9c)

I feel like the drops I'm seeing for 3 linked items is not just randomness, but I'm just one person of course.
"
Grundnir wrote:
"
unsane wrote:

That's a very silly assumption. You could definitely say, it may not have been intentionally changed, but it's always possible for it to be a bug or unintended side effect of the other loot changes that have been implemented (keep in mind, loot has changed twice now, with the blues drop rate in 0.9.9 and then the boss loot change updates in 0.9.9c)

I feel like the drops I'm seeing for 3 linked items is not just randomness, but I'm just one person of course.

Unless they changed how links and slots are determined there's like no chance of it being anything but randomness.

Item rarity is completely separate from slots and linking from the tests I've seen.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
Autocthon wrote:
"
Grundnir wrote:
"
unsane wrote:

Unless they changed how links and slots are determined there's like no chance of it being anything but randomness.

Item rarity is completely separate from slots and linking from the tests I've seen.

There is no merit in debating over what mechanism could or could not change the generation of links or sockets in items. We as players have no way of knowing what changes could possibly effect these processes, regardless of how disconnected they seem.

I'm not a game developer, but I am a computer programmer. I can tell you that in programming, you'd be surprised how often a change in what you think is a completely unrelated area can somehow cascade down into unexpected results.

I guess in the end, my point is this. If we see behavior that is unexpected, it's our obligation as beta testers to report it. If the developers investigate it and find it to either be randomness, as has been suggested (and is entirely possible, please don't think I'm discounting that possibility), or is in line with their desired drop rate, then so be it.

For me personally, I feel like the drop rate of items with a higher number of sockets has increased since pre-0.9.9, in addition I feel like the likelihood of those sockets being linked has also increased. That may be my perception being off, but I feel compelled to report it regardless.
I've never had a 5 or 6 link item

I am a PoE pauper

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info