[3.17] Cheapbunny's Summon Reaper Build (Hit based + Bleed + Poison) + Animate Weapon

Build guide update is discontinued because I dont't feel comfortable to recommend this build anymore. This build was made in 3.15 and I think the power of this build is no longer enough for the new content introduced since then.

Updated to 3.17 - ArchNemesis League
None of the changes from 3.17 affect this build, I have updated the POB skill tree to 3.17 version.

Second update (Credits to Doughbuoy)
Added new unique amulet "Ashes the Star" into the build, it provides quality to active skill gem which further reduce the cooldown of Reaper. It also gives mana reserve efficiency, together with some mana reserve nodes on the skill tree, we are able to use an additional determination aura. I have updated the POB skill tree to 3.17b version.

Added recommendation to get +1 minimum endurance charge on rings, as it will provide significant defense against physical damage together with determination and Bone Barrier ascendency nodes.

Previous Version Update

Spoiler

Updated to 3.16 - Scourge League
There is not much changes to the build from 3.15, there is 7% increased minion attack speed loss from the new passive tree, but Envy aura from United in Dream and Awakened gem got buffed.

Aligned Spirit (anointed passive) has been removed from the passive skill tree, "Ravenous Horde" is a good replacement if mana is not an issue for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

When Summon Reaper first introduced in Expedition league, I know this is the skill for me, it just looks so cool. I generally like to play build that ultilizes multi-buttons, and willing to sacrifice a little clear speed for single target damage, I really like the solo minion concept a lot that I league started Summon Reaper in Expedition league. Despite all the negative comments on the skill since launch, I still like it and taking it to the end game, enjoy if you like Reaper too =).

Reaper is Love <3

Build Thought

Spoiler

Why animate weapon?
Spoiler

i) It has physical tag as summon reaper does, scaling physical spell gem scales both of them

ii) It serves as snack for the Reaper, Reaper periodically consume other minion to buff herself. Due to the large numbers of animated weapon you can have, you wont notice when Reaper take one for lunch.

iii) It has good synergy with "Life from Death" notable that can be obtained from minion life medium cluster jewel, to keep Reaper alive in a tough fight.

Life from Death
Minions have 15% increased maximum Life
Regenerate 2% of Life per second if a Minion has Died Recently
Minions Recover 4% of Life on Minion Death

PS: Currently I do not use this notable in my build, as I have no problem to keep Reaper alive even in T16 map. If you have problem with Reaper survivability, this is a good option.

iv) Animate weapon provides a layer of defense and map clearing aids to Reaper, as they can easily maim/blind/taunt large amount of mobs with melee splash.

Why Bleed and Poison?
Spoiler

i) Poison got buffed in 3.15 (50% more poison damage is sweet), United in Dream that grants Envy aura (it boosts animate weapon damage and help in clear speed) has poison synergy.

ii) Reaper has inherently built more bleed damage and can be scaled together with poison via support gem and minion damage.

Why scale Hit as well?
Spoiler

There is lack of damage over time multiplier scaling for minion in the game at the moment aside from the unique jewel Amanamu's Gaze, so I decided to scale Hit as well. Plus, Cruelty is a cool gem to use :).

Videos

Skill Tree (PoB)
Spoiler

Kill all bandits.
Pretty generic summoner skill tree

22 Feb 2022 - [POE 3.17b] 96 lvl skill tree (Latest)
https://pastebin.com/KVZUeNbn

6 Feb 2022 - [POE 3.17] 96 lvl skill tree
https://pastebin.com/xjvu3Qii

20 Oct 2021 - [POE 3.16] 96 lvl skill tree
https://pastebin.com/4ZqXjhLi

1 Aug 2021 - [POE 3.15] 96 lvl skill tree
https://pastebin.com/3FXUNCNb

(Please refers to Gem Link section for Gem Info, the Gem setup in POB is outdated)

Leveling
Spoiler

Use Zombie and SRS to level from act 1 until you get Summon Reaper in act 3 (level 28). Reaper is pretty strong in campaign, you can use Reaper together with SRS throughout the campaign. I do not recommend switching to Animate Weapon until mappping.

Leveling/Early game aura setup
There are a few aura you can choose from before you got the Envy aura from United in Dream.

Purity of Element (50% Mana Reserve)
Use this if you do not have enough elemental resistance, or you are league starting without leveling gear. Purity of Element not only solve your resistance issue, it also help increase your minion's resistance, making them tankier. I personally use this until yellow map.

Summon SkitterBot (35% Mana Reserve)
Chill and shock enemy, best aura if you do not need elemental resistance from Purity of Element, both defensive and offensive.

Dread Benner (10% Mana Reserve)
Increase enemy physical damage taken, provide slight dps boost to your minion. Only cost 10% mana, could use together with other aura.

Mind Over Matter (Not an aura, Keystone, turn your mana into effective lifepool)
I strongly recommend this over dps aura in early game, because Reaper damage is strong enough in the campaign. Campaign playthrough will be extremely smooth with Mind Over Matter.

Pride (50% Mana Reserve)
Least recommended, cost 50% mana which is a lot, and provide no defensive bonus.

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Mindless Aggression -> Unnatural Strength -> Bone Barrier -> Plague Bringer

Mindless Aggression and Unnatural Strength is no brainer. Bone Barrier is really helpful in providing defense to you and Reaper, especially early mapping, should get Bone Barrier before Plague Bringer.

Gears
Spoiler

Weapon
Spoiler

Main Hand

Cold Iron Point is an easy choice for this build, it provides good damage and survivability to both Reaper and Animate Weapon (Stone Golem too).

Early Game Off Hand

For early game, Severed in Sleep greatly improve Reaper's survivability in map because of the mod "Minions Recover 20% of Life on Killing a Poisoned Enemy", try to get this weapon as soon as possible when get into mapping. However, this weapon does not provide much survivability against boss, later can be upgraded into United in Dream.

End Game Off Hand

Compared to Severed in Sleep, United in Dream provide great survivability to Reaper both in mapping and fight against bosses, because of 5% leech. She almost never die after I got this weapon.

Envy aura is also very nice to have, it greatly improve animate weapon damage which helps alot in clear speed.
https://pathofexile.fandom.com/wiki/Envy

United in Dream is not cheap because it needed Blessing of Chayula, should consider upgrading it after you have farmed up a bit.

Helmet
Spoiler

Early Game
Life/Resis

Mid Game
Life/Resis/Minion Level

"30% Increased Summon Reaper Cooldown Recovery" helmet enchant is very important for this build to work smoothly. With this helmet enchant, Summon Reaper cooldown is reduced to 3 secs (originally 4 secs), her powerful attack can be used more often, which is very helpful in clearing from pack to pack, as well as doing damage output to boss.

Late Game
Life/Resis/Minion Level/Supported by Minon Damage/Bone Helmet

Body Armour
Spoiler

Early/Mid Game
For early game, just get a 6 link with decent life/resist.

Mid Game

End Game
Try to get +1 Socketed Active Gem and +1 Socketed Intelligence Gem if you can afford it.

Gloves
Spoiler

Life/resist/minion damage

Boots
Spoiler

Life/resist/movement speed

Belt
Spoiler

Life/resist/Cooldown Recovery. Cooldown Recovery is not mandatory, however I personally think it helps the build to work even smoother, it reduces Summon Reaper/Flame Dash/Bone Armour cooldown.

Amulet
Spoiler

Early Game
Life/Resist

Mid Game
Life/Resist/+1 Physical Skill Gem Level
Annointment : "Dreamer" or "Adamant"

End Game

Annointment : "Ravenous Horde", or "Golem Commander" (Stone Golem + Carrion Golem)

It provides quality to active skill gem which further reduce the cooldown of Reaper. It also gives mana reserve efficiency, together with some mana reserve nodes on the skill tree, we are able to use an additional determination aura

Super End Game (After you got Awakened Multistrike for Summon Reaper)
Spoiler

Life/Resist/+1 Physical Skill Gem Level/+1 Intelligence Skill Gem Level
Annointment : "Charisma"

You do not need that much cooldown recovery for Reaper if you are using Awakened Multistrike. Reaper deal 4 attacks with Awakened Multistrike, the cooldown just about to recover after the 4 attack without Ashes of Stars, hence +2 rare might be a better damage boost. Anoint "Charisma" to counter the mana reserve efficiency lost.

(Aligned Spirit (anointed passive) has been replaced with Inspiring Bond in patch 3.16, which is no longer useful for the build)

Rings
Spoiler

Life/resist/minion damage/+1 minimum endurance charge

strongly suggest to get +1 minimum endurance charge on rings

Jewels
Spoiler

Rare

Life/Resis/Minion Resis/Minion Damage
4 Ghastly Eye Jewel synergies with Unique Jewel Amanamu's Gaze
You need to have at least one "minion blind on hit" and one "minion taunt on hit" mod.

Cluster Jewel

Feasting Fiends/Chaos Resis/Attribute or Dex

Unique

Boost Reaper's bleed and poison damage

These too are too good not to use, put them into the jewel slots of the cluster jewel to avoid the downside.

Gem Link
Spoiler

6L Summon Reaper (Body Armour)
Spoiler

Minion Damage Support is the last gem in the 6L, the minion life penalty is too much for Reaper to survive early game, at least until you get Severed in Sleep/United in Dream.

4L Animate Weapon (Helmet)
Spoiler

Map Clear

Single Target

I use Map Clear setup most of the time, as it requires a white socket to allow swapping freely between Melee Splash and Withering Touch and I do not have too much problem for single target damage so far.

For easy swapping, you want to have a white socket like the helmet below

Could use Anomalous Animate Weapon (with 20q) instead of normal Animate Weapon, I think it gives more damage.

4L BladeFall (Glove/Boots)
Spoiler

Used to summon animate weapon and apply vuln curse to mobs.

3L Stone Golem (Glove/Boots)
Spoiler

It is both offensive/defensive and QOL setup. Sometimes Reaper will just decide to eat my stone golem out of 20 minions <.< , so I choose to CWDT stone golem to save me a button. Besides, CWDT stone golem provide life regen when i got hit, which is pretty good defensive layer against DOT damage when combined with Bone Barrier (Ascendancy Node) life recovery bonus. Feeding Frenzy provide effective damage boost.

Aura/Mana Reserved Skill
Spoiler

2L Envy (United in Dream)

Damage boost.

SkitterBot (Weapon)

More damage boost and chill enemy.

Determination (Weapon)

Defensive aura.

1L Skill Gem
Spoiler

(Weapon)

Used to trigger Plaguebringer (Ascendancy Node) and cast spirit offering.

(Weapon)

Provide extra damage and resistance to minions.

(Weapon)

Movement skill.

(Glove/Boots)
Recall minion to your location.

Common Problem for Summon Reaper builds
Spoiler

How to solve mana cost problem?
Spoiler

Mana cost has been a big problem for Summon Reaper builds, especially after GGG fix the second 2L Summon Reaper "bug" to trigger her powerful attack.

For a 6L 28lvl Reaper, the mana cost is about 150 per cast, which is not too hard to deal with, considering we only can cast the skill once every 3 seconds.

i) Tireless cluster

This cluster gives life and total 15% reduced of mana cost.

ii) Anoint - Aligned Spirits (Removed in Patch 3.16)

This notable alone reduce 15% of the mana cost, combined with the Tireless cluster, 6L 28lvl Summon Reaper mana cost can be reduced from 150 to 105.

iii) Dynamo

This passive regens 10% mana everytime we use Bone Armour, which is about once in 7 seconds.

How to solve clear speed problem?
Spoiler

Yes, you guess it right, Animate Weapon.

Little tips while you spend your time with lovely Reaper
Spoiler

Tips 1
Put Bone Armour into your left click, so that it will auto cast while you walk.

Tips 2
Take out CWDT and you can cast stone golem before mapping, then put it back for QOL auto cast when damage taken.

Tips 3
Summon some animate weapons before engaging your enemy, or say goodbye to your stone golem. (Reaper: Nom Nom Nom....)

Tips 4
When you see Soul Eater, Reap it before too late.

My other build guide
Spoiler

Energy Blade Spectral Helix Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3281366

Double Unleash Summon Raging Spirit Popcorn Necromancer
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3278670

Flask Drinking Critical Stone Golem Ascendant
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3265124

Triple Offering Low Life Chaos Tornado/Seismic Trap Occultist
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3239590

Petrified Blood Low Life 6 Aura Double Strike Champion
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3194071

Dual 8L Herald of Agony + Herald of Purity Necromancer
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3223035

Last edited by cheapbunny on Aug 19, 2022, 3:39:22 PM
Last bumped on Aug 22, 2022, 9:18:29 AM
Update

Spoiler

1 Aug 2021
- Added Convocation into Gem Setup to replace Culling strike
- Added A8 Sirus and T16 Minotaur video
- Added Unique jewel Amanamu's Gaze into the build and replace original rare jewel
- Updated Body Armour and Ring
(Overall losing 300 life but gain more damage)

3 Aug 2021
- Added leveling/early game aura step guidance in "Leveling" section

4 Aug 2021
- Added additional info for Animate Weapon gem link

5 Aug 2021
- Added Maven video

9 Aug 2021
- Added The Feared video

20 Oct 2021
- Updated passive tree 3.16

27 Oct 2021
- Added amulet anointment info in amulet section

29 Oct 2021
- Added "My other build guide"

6 Feb 2022
- Updated passive tree 3.17

22 Feb 2022
- Added the new amulet "Ashes the Star, +2 Rare amulet moved into "Super End Game Amulet"
- Added Determination Aura into the build
- Removed Spell Cascade support from Desecrate Gem Link, to give socket for Determination
- Updated passive tree 3.17b
- Added recommendation to get +1 minimum endurance charge on rings

Last edited by cheapbunny on Feb 25, 2022, 3:32:10 PM
Thanks for this. We met in Beachead.
I already bought everything you posted here and will try soon, after I see the tree.

Got some questions

1) did you show on purpose videos with bosses with chaos res?
2) I don't understand the CWDT set up at all
3) IF I ll use divergent animate weapon (20% chance to summon extra), can I replace unleash? I know MS is important for minions, Ill get some on a ring.
4) Future buy is Harbi belt? And prolly a better helm with minion dmg support
5) Overall I feel you focus too much on too many +level items and myself would prefer a shield setup
Last edited by wsbisev on Jul 31, 2021, 2:51:47 PM
"
wsbisev wrote:
Thanks for this. We met in Beachead.
I already bought everything you posted here and will try soon, after I see the tree.

Got some questions

1) did you show on purpose videos with bosses with chaos res?
2) I don't understand the CWDT set up at all
3) IF I ll use divergent animate weapon (20% chance to summon extra), can I replace unleash? I know MS is important for minions, Ill get some on a ring.
4) Future buy is Harbi belt? And prolly a better helm with minion dmg support
5) Overall I feel you focus too much on too many +level items and myself would prefer a shield setup

Hello there =).

1) Not on purpose, just happen to have a Al-Hezmin around. All the minion is chaos res capped because of Spirit Offering + United in Dream though.
2) It is a defensive and QOL setup. Sometimes Reaper will just decide to eat my stone golem out of 20 minions <.< , so I choose to CWDT stone golem to save me a button. Besides, CWDT stone golem provide life regen when i got hit, which is pretty good defensive layer against DOT damage when combined with Bone Barrier life recovery bonus, I have got about 700 life regen.
3) I think 20% would not be enough for smooth gameplay, and I think Anomalous quality is a better option.
4) Definitely go for better helm if you can get one. However, i think that harby belt is not necessary, you can craft up to up 15% CDR on a rare belt which is not too far lower than a harby belt, stygian vise give additional jewel slot too.
5) You can try a shield for sure, but I think that gem level is important because Reaper's life is not a lot (I heard that is half of a carrion golem, not sure if it is true), plus I am using Minion Damage Support. But Cold Iron Point is cheap and easy to swap back when you feel like it,
Last edited by cheapbunny on Jul 31, 2021, 3:12:15 PM
Cool idea, i like it :).
I tried a T16 conq, I died a couple of times at normal mobs. But I don't have the pantheon upgraded at all yet.
Besides bossing, its good for league mechanic.

I am using Anamamu and 6 ghastlys.
I am strongly considering switching to Occultist for better clear (Explode) + some defenses (curse blashpemy).

Instead of Bone Armor I will take steelking on unset ring.
Also considering 6linking some unique armor to get more defensive benefits.

This time I won't modify my filter, even the weapons dropped by enemies have higher base dmg than the bladefall ones. But eventually, end goal is Cloak of Tawm'r Isley and enable filter.

After I 6L my Cloak I will also switch Unleash from AW to awakened minion dmg

Last edited by wsbisev on Aug 1, 2021, 1:58:34 AM
"
Wudy wrote:
Cool idea, i like it :).

Glad you like it, Reaper is Love <3
"
wsbisev wrote:
I tried a T16 conq, I died a couple of times at normal mobs. But I don't have the pantheon upgraded at all yet.
Besides bossing, its good for league mechanic.

I am using Anamamu and 6 ghastlys.
I am strongly considering switching to Occultist for better clear (Explode) + some defenses (curse blashpemy).

Instead of Bone Armor I will take steelking on unset ring.
Also considering 6linking some unique armor to get more defensive benefits.

This time I won't modify my filter, even the weapons dropped by enemies have higher base dmg than the bladefall ones. But eventually, end goal is Cloak of Tawm'r Isley and enable filter.

After I 6L my Cloak I will also switch Unleash from AW to awakened minion dmg

Occultist is no doubt winner in map clear due to explosion, however bossing will be extremely bad, not only losing about 50% damage, Occultist also lacking minion life and defense, which mean Reaper is very likely to die in a boss fight, jeopardize your damage output further. Bone Armour not only has longer duration than steel skin, it provides the shield to your minion as well (and bleed immunity).

In term of clear speed, I just tested , using convocation will double the clear speed. I will update the gem suggestion and reupload map clear video using convocation.

I also just uploaded Elder fight and A8 sirus video, you can see that Reaper never die in those fight.
Last edited by cheapbunny on Aug 1, 2021, 2:47:52 AM
Could you give your opinion (a short one is enough) on how your build compares to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nrl2NLGmts&t=691s
alternatively, the pob of this build: https://pastebin.com/iL0eimXN
I like the animate weapons and your build sounds interesting, it just looked like the other build did a lot more damage
Would be nice if you can help me decide

Thanks in advance
"
Killerooo wrote:
Could you give your opinion (a short one is enough) on how your build compares to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nrl2NLGmts&t=691s
alternatively, the pob of this build: https://pastebin.com/iL0eimXN
I like the animate weapons and your build sounds interesting, it just looked like the other build did a lot more damage
Would be nice if you can help me decide

Thanks in advance

Hello. If you are looking for damage, pure physical hit based is the way to go, because the game currently is not too friendly for minion dealing damage over time damage, it just does not have enough damage scaling for it.

But....the future is looking good

"Lowered the damage penalty on Bleeding for the Summoned Reaper, overall this means they have approximately 114% more Bleeding damage than before. In future we will reevaluate the Bleed, Poison and Ignite damage penalty for all minions as it is currently too harsh."

I have uploaded a minotaur map video, you can check it out in the video section for comparison.

Last edited by cheapbunny on Aug 1, 2021, 7:38:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info