Fyregrass' Comprehensive Freezing Pulse Totems Guide - Act 1 to Maven 9 (Updated for 3.15)

"
GERWARIC wrote:
I just finished leveling to maps, and here are some comments:

First, in Act 1, Combustion Support is available to the Templar as soon as you reach the Lower Prison waypoint, so you don't need to save up a orb of transmutation to buy it. Pick it up before killing Brutus in Step 4. Second, leveling was fast, although the first 3 acts were slow since I've never leveled a build like this before.

Third, here's the trash gear I hit maps with:
Spoiler

Notice I'm still using the wands I crafted at level 20, and I did not upgrade Armageddon Brand and Cremation from 3L to 4L until Act 9 when I noticed boss damage falling off. These seem like good worst-case assumptions for a league start.

Once I reached Arcance Capacitor it felt more like a zoom zoom glass cannon. In comparison, Wallach's leveling advice to use Holy Flame totem feels much safer and more possibly hardcore viable. The downside is that I felt like a glass cannon. However, there are some important caveats: my gear had zero life, I did not roll my flasks for ailment immunity, and I am not a good mechanical player.

Next I'm going to see how far I can push into maps before swapping over to Freezing Pulse totems. I have the gear ready, but I'd like to see how it feels mapping and getting the early conquerors with Armageddon Brand and Cremation, since I assume a 5L soul mantle will be pricey the first day or two of the league.

Overall it's been an excellent build for leveling, and I'm curious to see how mapping goes.

Just want to be clear, this is definitely not HC viable. I optimised my levelling strat for speed, not safety. I did wallach’s levelling to maps in just under 6 hours, which I wasn’t too happy with, the Arma/cremate strat got me a 3:59 time.

If you’re playing Hc I absolutely recommend Wallach’s levelling, his strat is way way way safer. Speed is what’s important to me, that’s why I optimised for it, but It’s just a preference
"
Fyregrass wrote:
Just want to be clear, this is definitely not HC viable. I optimised my levelling strat for speed, not safety. I did wallach’s levelling to maps in just under 6 hours, which I wasn’t too happy with, the Arma/cremate strat got me a 3:59 time.

If you’re playing Hc I absolutely recommend Wallach’s levelling, his strat is way way way safer. Speed is what’s important to me, that’s why I optimised for it, but It’s just a preference

That makes a lot of sense. I apologize if I came off as critical. I'm getting excited to run this as the next league starter and my first totem build. It's taken an adjustment in how I was mapping, and as I have figured out how to sneak in my bossing buffs, even boss fights are getting easier. This build is really growing on me, and I haven't even swapped to Freezing Pulse yet.

UPDATE: I picked up a 5L Infermal Mantle and continued leveling to 77 with Armageddon Brand before swapping. Freezing pulse feels good now--better clear and very safe bossing so far.
Last edited by GERWARIC on Jul 13, 2021, 11:04:07 PM
Hello, I'm considering league starting with this build (ofcourse depending on patch notes). I haven't had the time for a practice run yet but I'm curious, the ones who have, had you had any deaths and if so, against normally rippy things like ultimatums, or has it been things that normally "wouldn't" be a problem like act bosses? I know it's not HC friendly but as I play softcore, a death or two is no problem but would prefer to avoid as many as possible.
Honest question, how is this updated to 3.15 when the patch notes and manifesto haven't been released yet?
"
Leatificat wrote:
Hello, I'm considering league starting with this build (ofcourse depending on patch notes). I haven't had the time for a practice run yet but I'm curious, the ones who have, had you had any deaths and if so, against normally rippy things like ultimatums, or has it been things that normally "wouldn't" be a problem like act bosses? I know it's not HC friendly but as I play softcore, a death or two is no problem but would prefer to avoid as many as possible.

I think I had an average of like 5/6 deaths per campaign run except when I was tired and playing sloppy, other than that it was mostly dying to Ultimatums, but it does delirium and legion just fine and ultimatums are being removed in 3.15 anyway.

"
PadreBruxo wrote:
Honest question, how is this updated to 3.15 when the patch notes and manifesto haven't been released yet?

It contains all the optimisations added to the build over the 3.14 patch (I’ve been using these PoBs internally for 3 patches now for my team members), additionally, as with my Storm brand guide, I will be updating this guide further following the announcement, balance manifesto, patch notes and continuously after the release of 3.15 to ensure all the information here is constantly up to date.

I released the guide a week early however because I wanted to give people time to prepare, the league start guide and levelling commentaries are being withheld until after patch notes to ensure they don’t contain incorrect information but they are recorded and ready to go.
"
Fyregrass wrote:

It contains all the optimisations added to the build over the 3.14 patch (I’ve been using these PoBs internally for 3 patches now for my team members), additionally, as with my Storm brand guide, I will be updating this guide further following the announcement, balance manifesto, patch notes and continuously after the release of 3.15 to ensure all the information here is constantly up to date.

I released the guide a week early however because I wanted to give people time to prepare, the league start guide and levelling commentaries are being withheld until after patch notes to ensure they don’t contain incorrect information but they are recorded and ready to go.

That's fair. Thanks for your guides :)
In today announcement GGG nerf all support gems in the game to reduce power creep. For this build it means less damage and less freezing I guess?.
"
yissus wrote:
In today announcement GGG nerf all support gems in the game to reduce power creep. For this build it means less damage and less freezing I guess?.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a decrease across the board (to everybody). I think GGG "addressing" drops and also decreasing the "power creep" should allow for a better experience. I (being hopeful and assuming) feel that less mobs killed, due to slightly less damage. But also having currency drop in a less-click-intensive way should focus more on the ACTION part of this game and less of standing around clicking currency.

Also IIRC it's claimed a -5 / -40% dps nerf. But i can't remember if they straight up changed the base DPS numbers or limited the maximum damage skills will do.
What are the main differences between this build and Wallach’s ?

Regarding rain of splinters, does the OP think that it should be swapped for first snow while mapping with FP, or mapping is fine with FP and RoS ?
Take my fucking upvote, and PoE Forum post virginity. I'm starting this build now and quasi-ssf'ing it to red maps, hopefully before Ulti end. Will edit in my progress at Ulti end.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info