Concerned about the cut-throat league.

Hi

First, let me start with some background story about me.

I started playing MMO with UO, when I was a teenager. I played pre-trammel. It was Free for all PVP, with full loot. UO at that time was honestly the most fun I had in an MMO. The fact that the game was "full loot" made the PVP relevant and exciting. It made having friends you could trust much more important. You had to chose your friends carefully. Then, trammel happened, UO got changed, meh.

After that I played a bunch of different games, trying to get my PVP fix. One I liked particularly was EVE online, but the sci-fi theme bored me rather quickly. (Sad, I know)

So, I have been (for pretty much 10 year now?) looking for a game to replicate this "feeling" of danger that UO had. The constant need to stay on your toes when you meet someone new. The adrenaline rush when you attack someone. The joy of killing a player and wondering what kind of loot you will get. Also, the anger and frustration of getting killed and loosing everything.

So, this is where I come from. You'll understand that I LOVE pvp and I LOVE full loot. However, I'm concerned about the cut-throat league. Player looting worked in UO because equipment was easily replaceable. Everything could be easily crafted or bought for a reasonable price. Loosing your stuff was bad, but not a major setback.

And anyway, equipment didn't even really matter too much. It helped, but all you had to get was a weapon and you could be back in the fight, wearing only your "rez robe" that provided less protection than a wet paper bag. And if you were good you still had a chance to kill that guy that was in full-plate.

That's why it worked. To make it simple, it had loot but :
1) Equipment was not too important
2) Equipment could be replaced easily

Now, lets think about PoE. I am concerned because PoE does not fit any of those 2 criteria. I am affraid that full loot, in this game, would be "too much". We will likely spend HOURS hunting for gear (this is an ARPG, and gear hunting is part of the genre), and leveling our gems to get better skills. Losing everything in a few seconds to some unfair gank (which is bound to happen) will make even the more "hardcore" player rage-quit. Thats for sure.

My guess is that people playing in that league will purposely avoid the "gear hunt" and fight with sucky equipment and only low level gems (thus missing a good chunk of the game) or simply get bored and not play this league.

This would be sad. This is why I suggest that dieing in the cut throat league should not be such a major set back. A system I like is the insurance system, as seen in "later UO" and EVE online.

The UO insurance system works by allowing you to pay a fee to "insure" an item. You can insure each item independently. When you are killed, your killer gets the amount you paid for insurance, transferred in his stash.

In EVE the system works a little differently. You have to pay a fee for insurance, for X days. When you die, you loose everything, and the insurance give you some money so you can buy other equipment.

I feel either one could work in PoE. It would, in my opinion, encourage people to try the cut throat league. Like I said before, I think that for this league to be successful, you have to achieve balance between the death penalty being "harsh" and just being "too much".

Ideas?
I apologise for not offering any advice at this point but rather voicing similar concerns.

Now, I understand that the game is instanced and that there are people who would not do it, but even the occasional high leveled, well geared asshat would ruin new players. Imagine such a fellow slaying low leveled guys just for fun and ruining any chance they have of progressing. One loses, after all, equipment that is imbued with skills and all that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still kind of curious especially on how it will work out, but there seem to be some potential issues with it.

If you feel that this would not truly be an issue, feel free to correct me. I understand risks of losing items, but certainty within 30 minutes seems a bit less encouraging in terms of developing your character.
"
Sayeth wrote:

Now, I understand that the game is instanced and that there are people who would not do it, but even the occasional high leveled, well geared asshat would ruin new players.

That's kinda the idea.

Not the act of doing it, but the chance that it could happen.

Hence, the term "Cut-Throat"

I've seen the industry change for the worse over the years, slowing ignoring niche genres/playstyles.

It's because people always complain...and to complain about a NICHE GAMETYPE in a NICHE GAME is just ridiculous.

They created a cut-throat league for people who want to play that way.

~Rant over.

Now, allow me to relieve you two of your concerns. Consider this.

1. The game costs nothing up front.

2. There are paid leagues that can be customized to your liking (semi-cut-throat in your case)

3. There is a passionate community already.

I predict good things for all types.
IGN: Cadmus / Valgar
Last edited by Kaylos on Aug 16, 2011, 6:50:34 PM
One way to keep high level players from "griefing" low level players would be to not allow the attacking of players a certain number of levels (say 20) below you. Meaning a level 25 player could not attack a level 5 player because he is 20 or more levels above that player.

To make this system even better, you could do away with the max level gap after level 15 or 20 (or whatever seems to work). This means that once you are above the correct level, anyone can attack anyone.

This gives a buffer for new characters so that they cannot get 1 or 2 hit killed over and over again by players just trying to grief. It allows players to gain their bearings and get ready for the border level where it is a free-for-all, while still allowing newer players to pvp people of similar level in cut-throat fashion.
"
Sayeth wrote:

Now, I understand that the game is instanced and that there are people who would not do it, but even the occasional high leveled, well geared asshat would ruin new players.

The cut throat league wont be instanced, BTW.

"

it's because people always complain...and to complain about a NICHE GAMETYPE in a NICHE GAME is just ridiculous.

They created a cut-throat league for people who want to play that way.

~Rant over.

Now, allow me to relieve you two of your concerns. Consider this.

1. The game costs nothing up front.

2. There are paid leagues that can be customized to your liking (semi-cut-throat in your case)

3. There is a passionate community already.

I predict good things for all types.

Thats not what I'm saying. I'll play in the cut-throat league regardless of how it turns out. But I still dont think that "FULL LOOT" makes any sense in PoE. I predict the Cut throat league will be a bunch of almost naked players using lvl one gems. Hardly any fun
FIRST POST <_______
cut-throat league is awesome. Because there is no sissy nuture here, you are robbed when you get beat? That is serious and seriously scary. Good or bad? depends who gets beat lol
"
Juicyfruits wrote:
Hi

First, let me start with some background story about me.

I started playing MMO with UO, when I was a teenager. I played pre-trammel. It was Free for all PVP, with full loot. UO at that time was honestly the most fun I had in an MMO. The fact that the game was "full loot" made the PVP relevant and exciting. It made having friends you could trust much more important. You had to chose your friends carefully. Then, trammel happened, UO got changed, meh.

After that I played a bunch of different games, trying to get my PVP fix. One I liked particularly was EVE online, but the sci-fi theme bored me rather quickly. (Sad, I know)

So, I have been (for pretty much 10 year now?) looking for a game to replicate this "feeling" of danger that UO had. The constant need to stay on your toes when you meet someone new. The adrenaline rush when you attack someone. The joy of killing a player and wondering what kind of loot you will get. Also, the anger and frustration of getting killed and loosing everything.

So, this is where I come from. You'll understand that I LOVE pvp and I LOVE full loot. However, I'm concerned about the cut-throat league. Player looting worked in UO because equipment was easily replaceable. Everything could be easily crafted or bought for a reasonable price. Loosing your stuff was bad, but not a major setback.

And anyway, equipment didn't even really matter too much. It helped, but all you had to get was a weapon and you could be back in the fight, wearing only your "rez robe" that provided less protection than a wet paper bag. And if you were good you still had a chance to kill that guy that was in full-plate.

That's why it worked. To make it simple, it had loot but :
1) Equipment was not too important
2) Equipment could be replaced easily

Now, lets think about PoE. I am concerned because PoE does not fit any of those 2 criteria. I am affraid that full loot, in this game, would be "too much". We will likely spend HOURS hunting for gear (this is an ARPG, and gear hunting is part of the genre), and leveling our gems to get better skills. Losing everything in a few seconds to some unfair gank (which is bound to happen) will make even the more "hardcore" player rage-quit. Thats for sure.

My guess is that people playing in that league will purposely avoid the "gear hunt" and fight with sucky equipment and only low level gems (thus missing a good chunk of the game) or simply get bored and not play this league.

This would be sad. This is why I suggest that dieing in the cut throat league should not be such a major set back. A system I like is the insurance system, as seen in "later UO" and EVE online.

The UO insurance system works by allowing you to pay a fee to "insure" an item. You can insure each item independently. When you are killed, your killer gets the amount you paid for insurance, transferred in his stash.

In EVE the system works a little differently. You have to pay a fee for insurance, for X days. When you die, you loose everything, and the insurance give you some money so you can buy other equipment.

I feel either one could work in PoE. It would, in my opinion, encourage people to try the cut throat league. Like I said before, I think that for this league to be successful, you have to achieve balance between the death penalty being "harsh" and just being "too much".

Ideas?

Your wrong its exactly what all of us ex diablo 2 hardcore players have been dreaming of since the late 90s. It's not too much at all.

-Edit some of you guys are clearly missing the point when u bring up stuff about not wanting to get greifed. The whole point about the cutthroat league is that anything goes. Please don't whine and try to ruin things for the rest of us if you think its too scary don't play it.
I can Haz BETA?
Last edited by BattleSmurf on Aug 17, 2011, 3:22:51 AM
"
BattleSmurf wrote:

Your wrong its exactly what all of us ex diablo 2 hardcore players have been dreaming of since the late 90s. It's not too much at all.

-Edit some of you guys are clearly missing the point when u bring up stuff about not wanting to get greifed. The whole point about the cutthroat league is that anything goes. Please don't whine and try to ruin things for the rest of us if you think its too scary don't play it.

Hes not wrong he has a very valid point for Softcore cut-throat. For the hardcore cut-throat mode sure, someone being forced to drop their loot so we can have it is awesome. Their character is dead anyway so losing loot is the least of their problems now.

In a softcore cut-throat mode you risk having half your playerbase or more with high level characters running around in junk, getting repeatedly killed by the high level characters that have managed to win the first few fights and horde a mass of items. The strong get stronger and the weak give up and stop playing this mode.

The no instance thing also worries me in this mode. How are you meant to magic find those new good items back to stay competative if anyone can join anyones game and hunt and kill them?

Perhaps the solution is a semi cut-throat mode. A mode where people can fight anyone anywhere but you don't drop your gear. Getting your progress halted may be punishment enough. Those that like pvp would have free reign to hunt down and kill whoever they wanted.

Another option is to limit it from full loot to where, if you die you randomly drop a single item. So yes you've taken a penalty for losing but it hasn't completely put you out of the league.
off topic UO is the best game that i ever play... (Aos expasion was me favorite , ml and next exp the worst) i notice that you said that the gear was replaced easily .. i dissapoint in this. In aos and next expansions, u can pass months for withdraw a totem, ornamet, inkis. and good runic pieces and if u buy it , it was very expensive xD on topic i think insurance items sux because is almost imposible get something good gear of any player.. the only what u get is gold and minor items if u want made a soft version of cut-throat the only what come to my mind is parcial gear drop of current equiped maybe 25/50% but personally, I prefer full loot
Last edited by stellos on Aug 17, 2011, 8:36:32 AM
I will wholeheartedly commit to cut-throat hardcore! I swear to destroy each and every one of you and take your items, parade around your corpse and having fun whilst doing it! Hope to see you all ingame =D May the best (wo)man win.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info